This thread currently has 1,828 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 18, 2019, 1:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Can you believe that this was 30 years ago today!!

[youtube]ird1n--dcE4[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
WesternMariner
February 18, 2019, 2:42pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +887
Gold Stars: 37
One of those days when every Town fan of my era remembers where they were. I was huddled round a radio with all the other lads at my Saturday job at British Bakeries on Wilton Road - not much work done that afternoon but I reckon they’d have heard us at Plough Lane when that first goal went in!

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
Gaffer58
February 18, 2019, 3:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,083
Gold Stars: 31
In some ways that day was as good in atmosphere ( the Harry's made it) as some of the Wembley games. Behind the goal was something else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Les Brechin
February 18, 2019, 3:59pm

Quoted from Gaffer58
In some ways that day was as good in atmosphere ( the Harry's made it) as some of the Wembley games. Behind the goal was something else.

Yeah, it was absolutely packed behind that goal and the scenes when our goal went in were unforgettable.

It was also before the fences came down so it was thankful that no one near the front got crushed in the celebrations.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
jock dock tower
February 18, 2019, 4:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
We sold hundreds of them in the club shop in the run up to the game.

Week after the game three Aussies came into the shop and were asking who to see for permission to film a documentary about them as they worked for Channel Nine, were based in London, and had been out for a Saturday afternoon walk and came across these thousands of inflatable haddocks.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
Les Brechin
February 18, 2019, 4:45pm

Quoted from jock dock tower
We sold hundreds of them in the club shop in the run up to the game.

Week after the game three Aussies came into the shop and were asking who to see for permission to film a documentary about them as they worked for Channel Nine, were based in London, and had been out for a Saturday afternoon walk and came across these thousands of inflatable haddocks.

I reckon there were more Haddocks at the game that day than there were Wimbledon fans!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
KingstonMariner
February 18, 2019, 9:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I think the attendance was announced as 12,000 but I reckon we made up about 8,000 of them. Squashed into less than half the ground - the away terrace and part of the stand to the side. Every mode of trasnport was pressed into service that day - I saw a GCT double decker with the '3C North Sea Lane' sign showing and another with 'Pyewipe'.

Based on the way the two teams played, you'd have thought Wimbledon were the plucky underdogs pulling off a Cup upset.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Happy Harry Haddock Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.