Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just a thought?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 361 Guests

Just a thought?

This thread currently has 5,768 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 7:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Got to love the Grimsby fans who support their local team.

Often growing up and even now in adulthood I get the occasional mickey taking out of me for supporting Grimsby .Hence the most recent one was when I was wearing a Grimsby Town polo shirt this week "Grimsby Town ,you must be having a laugh".Way I dealt with it was stated my family is from the area which soon shut him up.

In this age of  business ownership in the game  eg rich Arabs taking over Man City its nice when you get fans like ours and those from other clubs who keep it real and support their local club or those who support their club where is a family connection .Hence without smaller clubs like ours I dont think football would be what is .Hence without variety nothing continues.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
February 16, 2019, 8:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
When I was in the Navy I was in a mess of 10 lads and they all supported big teams, they regularly took the mickey out of me for supporting Grimsby Town but they also respected me for sticking by my team through thick and thin, I could never support another team.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cmackenzie4
When I was in the Navy I was in a mess of 10 lads and they all supported big teams, they regularly took the mickey out of me for supporting Grimsby Town but they also respected me for sticking by my team through thick and thin, I could never support another team.
Good on you

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
lukeo
February 16, 2019, 9:10am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Living in Somerset I run a football team and they're a mixed bunch, most are prem supporters but there are a few Bristol City fans and the odd Exeter fan. It's actually funny because whenever we're talking about football in general the lads who support their local teams have more knowledge on football as a whole   I'm always wearing my town stuff and pretty much everyone in the town knows me now and knows my background  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
   I'm always wearing my town stuff and pretty much everyone in the town knows me now and knows my background  
Grimsby and proud  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
moosey_club
February 16, 2019, 9:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Rick12
Got to love the Grimsby fans who support their local team.

Often growing up and even now in adulthood I get the occasional mickey taking out of me for supporting Grimsby .Hence the most recent one was when I was wearing a Grimsby Town polo shirt this week "Grimsby Town ,you must be having a laugh".Way I dealt with it was stated my family is from the area which soon shut him up.

Smash him over the head with the largest object to hand and scream No one fcks with Grimsby !!!  That should nip it in the bud

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Brazilnut
February 16, 2019, 9:57am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
I work in Donny and often get you support Grimsby what do you know about football from the Donny scunny Sheff Wed Sheff utd Leeds and of course the man u fans there oh and the west ham gizza ......to which I always recall a fact from a match against said fans team in which town came out on top ...... even if it is only own your own record attendances to man u fan ......... but also I appreciate proper fans and have this morning text a Newport fan on how good and exciting today will be for him

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Smash him over the head with the largest object to hand and scream No one fcks with Grimsby !!!  That should nip it in the bud
Violence isnt the answer  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
sonofmadeleymariner
February 16, 2019, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
I was born and raised in Stoke-on-Trent and I'm a town through and through (Dads side of the family) so you can imagine the grief I get when I say I'm a Town fan.  

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
FishOutOfWater
February 16, 2019, 11:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Nearly 40 years since I left Grimsby but I never left the Town behind  

My lad is also a Town fan despite never living in the area, being born in Huntingdon then living in Northants & Goole

But his forefathers have all been Mariners so as much as we might get a bit of stick for being GTFC fans, I find we also get quite a bit of kudos for respecting our roots

All Town Aren't We  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 29
bawarmy
February 16, 2019, 11:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,821
Gold Stars: 27
I was in Tenerife back in the day and wanted to know how town got on in the cup. I went into a bar and asked if they could get the results up on ceefax . The people in the bar asked who I supported. When I told them Grimsby I got the usual remarks about how crap we were and what a joke I was for supporting such an unfashionable team as the ceefax pages scrolled through. It got to towns page and it said Grimsby Town  7  Luton 1.
You should have seen their faces in the bar as I calmly said  I suppose it’ll do, and walked out.
UTM always.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
sydney
February 16, 2019, 11:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
I always get from people
“”Oh Grimsby ok, but what big team do u support””?
As if it’s mandatory to support a prem team
Couldn’t give a damn about prem unless we do a Bournemouth or a Burnley and get there ourselves
I Do look out for Pilgrims results as have been involved with them through work
Come on Town 3 massive point today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
moosey_club
February 16, 2019, 11:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Rick12
Violence isnt the answer  

Depends on the question  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Ipswin
February 16, 2019, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from bawarmy
I was in Tenerife back in the day and wanted to know how town got on in the cup. I went into a bar and asked if they could get the results up on ceefax . The people in the bar asked who I supported. When I told them Grimsby I got the usual remarks about how crap we were and what a joke I was for supporting such an unfashionable team as the ceefax pages scrolled through. It got to towns page and it said Grimsby Town  7  Luton 1.
You should have seen their faces in the bar as I calmly said  I suppose it’ll do, and walked out.
UTM always.

I had a very similar experience in Menorca sadly it was the night Town lost 8-1 at Hartlepool

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bawarmy
UTM always.
Must be hard for the children though in school who support Grimsby and get the mickey taken out of them.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
rancido
February 16, 2019, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Brazilnut
I work in Donny and often get you support Grimsby what do you know about football from the Donny scunny Sheff Wed Sheff utd Leeds and of course the man u fans there oh and the west ham gizza ......to which I always recall a fact from a match against said fans team in which town came out on top ...... even if it is only own your own record attendances to man u fan ......... but also I appreciate proper fans and have this morning text a Newport fan on how good and exciting today will be for him

The irony of it! That is from a follower of a team who were non-league not too long ago.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 29
jamesgtfc
February 16, 2019, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Always supported the one team. I went through a phase where I had a Premier League team that I looked out for each season but that was always one of the newly promoted teams.

At school, many of my friends were season ticket holders so it was never a problem. Whenever anyone made a derogatory comments about Town being poor, I used to remind them of the Liverpool score or ask them if they enjoyed watching 5 minutes of their team on BBC One every Saturday night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Mallyner
February 16, 2019, 1:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

I had a very similar experience in Menorca sadly it was the night Town lost 8-1 at Hartlepool

That night we were in a hotel in Bournemouth and I was having a great bit of banter in the entertainment room, with a load of Bristol Ravers as I called them,  fans.

The next morning I read the score in the paper and went down to breakfast with trepidation; and as luck had it, none of them had obviously seen it.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
CatchOfTheDay
February 16, 2019, 2:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 1
I live in Lincoln as I’m at university and I still make sure to wear my town top proud when I play football each week. Get a few stares but wouldn’t change my team for anything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
ivanosandwich
February 16, 2019, 8:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 15
I often work away and the conversation on "who's your team?" always crops up,

On one occasion when I said Town, I will always remember a guy say that he would always think of me when he sees Town's results, he said he never remembers the people who support the fashionable premiership teams but always the smaller local teams.

He was right, when I see Portsmouth's and Spennymoor Town's  results, I always remember the people who support them, none of the others though.

A couple of years ago in Stockholm, I was educating a Swede on the merits of Omar Bogle and the following week he told me that his 12 year old son had just added Bogle to his FIFA team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
chaos33
February 16, 2019, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Rick12
Must be hard for the children though in school who support Grimsby and get the mickey taken out of them.

My six year old son wears his town kit at school and at local football in Boroughbridge on Saturday mornings and doesn't get the mickey taken. He also wears his France kit and his Hartlepool and England tops.
Mostly people seem pretty impressed that he hasn't succumbed to the big team curse, although he's asking for PSG kit. He was born in Harrogate, but he loves to pretend to be Wes Thomas, Cookie or Elliot Embleton.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
LH
February 16, 2019, 8:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
People in school in the mid 00s used to think I was daft going to as many Town matches as I could and I did get some stick for it. Funny how they all tried to get tickets for Spurs and Newcastle and I saw lots of them at Wembley every time we’ve been too. There is definitely a mutual respect between all match attending football fans regardless of the level you watch though I find.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 16, 2019, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,504
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from chaos33

My six year old son wears his town kit at school and at local football in Boroughbridge on Saturday mornings and doesn't get the mickey taken. He also wears his France kit and his Hartlepool and England tops.
Mostly people seem pretty impressed that he hasn't succumbed to the big team curse, although he's asking for PSG kit. He was born in Harrogate, but he loves to pretend to be Wes Thomas, Cookie or Elliot Embleton.

Very much the same I have lived in Lincoln for over 40 years but my lad is now 12 and I have taken him to town games since he was around six but he has had season ticket for about 3 years but does miss games. Given where he live and fact all his mates are Chimps I gave him the genuine option of supporting Lincoln so he would not feel isolated and/or picked on but he would not hear of it and always wears his town shirt on non uniform days. It does get in your loop somehow and I just hope his faith his repaid and that during his lifetime he will get those McMenemy, Kerr and Buckley era type moments that make all the suffering worthwhile. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Iam pleased for him. Certainly in my case if you didnt support one of the big boys when you was at school eg Liverpool you was laughed at by some eg "Grimsby are a s*** team".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
HertsGTFC
February 16, 2019, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
We live in Stevenage when we moved here in 2003 my lad was 4, we moved here from Hull where he was born. He’s never lived in Grimsby but he’s a massive Town fan and has the tattoo on his calf to prove it.

Living down here working in London as a STH and getting to most games I actually get a bit of respect and lots of positivity from proper football fans for supporting my home town club.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Living down here working in London as a STH and getting to most games I actually get a bit of respect and lots of positivity from proper football fans for supporting my home town club.
Pleased for you and thats the way it should be.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
mariner83
February 17, 2019, 8:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
I went to school in Brigg, it was mostly Man Utd or Liverpool fans in the 90s.  I remember there being more of us Grimsby supporters than Scunny though.
If a Man Utd or Liverpool fan took the urine, they usually shut up when asked how many times they'd been to watch them.

There seems to be more kids in Town shirts around than when I was younger, so hopefully it's not seen as so uncool to support them as it was 20 years ago.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Mrs Doyle
February 17, 2019, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
When I am on hols my GTFC away strip always goes with me no matter where we go much to the annoyance of her indoors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
stuart brace was king
February 17, 2019, 10:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
Left Grimsby 40+ years ago, and the question always gets asked from the plastic Premiership supporters - why Grimsby?     I find one line shuts them up....

How nice that you picked your team to support; my team picked me - I was born there.

UTM forever, Gy til' etc etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
KingstonMariner
February 17, 2019, 10:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
When I am on hols my GTFC away strip always goes with me no matter where we go much to the annoyance of her indoors.

You should really take her instead of the shirt.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just a thought?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.