Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just a thought?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 405 Guests

Just a thought?

This thread currently has 5,769 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
chaos33
February 16, 2019, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Rick12
Must be hard for the children though in school who support Grimsby and get the mickey taken out of them.

My six year old son wears his town kit at school and at local football in Boroughbridge on Saturday mornings and doesn't get the mickey taken. He also wears his France kit and his Hartlepool and England tops.
Mostly people seem pretty impressed that he hasn't succumbed to the big team curse, although he's asking for PSG kit. He was born in Harrogate, but he loves to pretend to be Wes Thomas, Cookie or Elliot Embleton.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
LH
February 16, 2019, 8:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
People in school in the mid 00s used to think I was daft going to as many Town matches as I could and I did get some stick for it. Funny how they all tried to get tickets for Spurs and Newcastle and I saw lots of them at Wembley every time we’ve been too. There is definitely a mutual respect between all match attending football fans regardless of the level you watch though I find.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 16, 2019, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from chaos33

My six year old son wears his town kit at school and at local football in Boroughbridge on Saturday mornings and doesn't get the mickey taken. He also wears his France kit and his Hartlepool and England tops.
Mostly people seem pretty impressed that he hasn't succumbed to the big team curse, although he's asking for PSG kit. He was born in Harrogate, but he loves to pretend to be Wes Thomas, Cookie or Elliot Embleton.

Very much the same I have lived in Lincoln for over 40 years but my lad is now 12 and I have taken him to town games since he was around six but he has had season ticket for about 3 years but does miss games. Given where he live and fact all his mates are Chimps I gave him the genuine option of supporting Lincoln so he would not feel isolated and/or picked on but he would not hear of it and always wears his town shirt on non uniform days. It does get in your loop somehow and I just hope his faith his repaid and that during his lifetime he will get those McMenemy, Kerr and Buckley era type moments that make all the suffering worthwhile. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from chaos33

Iam pleased for him. Certainly in my case if you didnt support one of the big boys when you was at school eg Liverpool you was laughed at by some eg "Grimsby are a s*** team".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
HertsGTFC
February 16, 2019, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
We live in Stevenage when we moved here in 2003 my lad was 4, we moved here from Hull where he was born. He’s never lived in Grimsby but he’s a massive Town fan and has the tattoo on his calf to prove it.

Living down here working in London as a STH and getting to most games I actually get a bit of respect and lots of positivity from proper football fans for supporting my home town club.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Rick12
February 16, 2019, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Living down here working in London as a STH and getting to most games I actually get a bit of respect and lots of positivity from proper football fans for supporting my home town club.
Pleased for you and thats the way it should be.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
mariner83
February 17, 2019, 8:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
I went to school in Brigg, it was mostly Man Utd or Liverpool fans in the 90s.  I remember there being more of us Grimsby supporters than Scunny though.
If a Man Utd or Liverpool fan took the urine, they usually shut up when asked how many times they'd been to watch them.

There seems to be more kids in Town shirts around than when I was younger, so hopefully it's not seen as so uncool to support them as it was 20 years ago.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
Mrs Doyle
February 17, 2019, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
When I am on hols my GTFC away strip always goes with me no matter where we go much to the annoyance of her indoors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
stuart brace was king
February 17, 2019, 10:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
Left Grimsby 40+ years ago, and the question always gets asked from the plastic Premiership supporters - why Grimsby?     I find one line shuts them up....

How nice that you picked your team to support; my team picked me - I was born there.

UTM forever, Gy til' etc etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
KingstonMariner
February 17, 2019, 10:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
When I am on hols my GTFC away strip always goes with me no matter where we go much to the annoyance of her indoors.

You should really take her instead of the shirt.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just a thought?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.