Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › one year ago .............
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 265 Guests

one year ago .............

This thread currently has 5,634 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
blundellpork
February 11, 2019, 10:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Madeleymariner

No I thought he needed longer to put what he wanted to do in action, I know he was full of bull sometimes but he brought in some decent youing players and was never going to cope with losing Omar on deadline day.

Whilst he signed some good prospects, the way he treated that game against Doncaster sealed his fate. Treating the game like a training session and playing players out of position hugely concerned me. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Although I expected him to last until Sept/ Oct, I was convinced that he would lead us into a relegation battle the next season.

Clearly Slade wasn’t the right solution, but neither was keeping Bignot.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
mariner91
February 11, 2019, 10:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from blundellpork

Whilst he signed some good prospects, the way he treated that game against Doncaster sealed his fate. Treating the game like a training session and playing players out of position hugely concerned me. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Although I expected him to last until Sept/ Oct, I was convinced that he would lead us into a relegation battle the next season.

Clearly Slade wasn’t the right solution, but neither was keeping Bignot.

Absolutely this. Bignot was a disaster, even some of his own signings had major misgivings about his management (Clements was one of the players who voiced concerns allegedly). You only have to look at his managerial record since he left here to see that he doesn't really have that much about him as a manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
MuddyWaters
February 11, 2019, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mariner91

Absolutely this. Bignot was a disaster, even some of his own signings had major misgivings about his management (Clements was one of the players who voiced concerns allegedly). You only have to look at his managerial record since he left here to see that he doesn't really have that much about him as a manager.

I think it’s an easy accusation. Several Bignot players are in the Solihull team near the top of the Conference, he clearly did something or said something that upset our board because his results were worthy of longer.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
mariner91
February 11, 2019, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think it’s an easy accusation. Several Bignot players are in the Solihull team near the top of the Conference, he clearly did something or said something that upset our board because his results were worthy of longer.

That may be but it's one thing signing some half decent (and not one of those three players are proven in the FL despite two of them both approaching their 27th birthdays) but there was absolutely no evidence of a plan that he was supposedly implementing.

The formation and the personnel changed weekly, seemingly at random which was an accusation thrown at him by Chester fans last season so that throws the theory of him planning something long term out of the window. Despite nearly 30 games in charge there was zero improvement in performance from when he took over, in fact I'd say the performances had got alarmingly worse in terms of consistency, even some of the wins had been after pretty poor performances. There was no clear pattern of play that had been worked on or anything like the slow progressive improvements that MJ has overseen. In short, he's a charlatan and I would be gobsmacked if he ever manages in the FL again.

Given that we all know Shaun Pearson is a loyal, decent chap, his reaction towards Bignot after Wrexham played Chester last season was pretty telling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
chaos33
February 11, 2019, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I agree. He will never manage in the FL.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
marinerdazza
February 11, 2019, 11:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Slade was sacked with us 9 points above the relegation zone. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of the narrative that Slade had us relegated & Jolley came in and saved the day,

Can’t be arsed. Particularly as you used the word “narrative”.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
RichMariner
February 12, 2019, 12:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
It took Bignot ages to get things going at Solihull. From what I remember, even their fans were wondering what the hell he was doing for the first season or so - and then he hit on the formula and got them promoted (even after losing Bogle to us).

He's clearly a tinkerman. I get the Bignot Bingo thing, it was frustrating to not know who was going to play where, what the hell we were doing sometimes (and there were some dire performances thrown in there before the Donny debacle, like the defeats at Stevenage and Crewe).

But I think it's easy to throw the accusation that he 'didn't know what he was doing' when, I believe, he had some idea. Clearly, he was experimenting. He believed he had the rest of the season to mess around with the squad, test a few players out, etc.

Bignot had a habit of putting out teams that would keep picking up points. Straight after Donny we went and won at Blackpool - a team that got promoted at the end of the season.

I do believe Bignot was a builder - well, more than Slade was - but I agree that the way he went about things and upset the senior players was not wise. Fenty called him a fruit loop but he's never responded to that and it'd be good to know exactly what was said when he was sacked because, as we all know, results alone weren't terrible.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
forza ivano
February 12, 2019, 12:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,167
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Slade was sacked with us 9 points above the relegation zone. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of the narrative that Slade had us relegated & Jolley came in and saved the day,

You're forgetting the games in between Slade leaving and jolley joining.be interested to see the table when he did take over. Quite how you think that Slade wouldve kept us up is beyond me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
sam gy
February 12, 2019, 1:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from mariner91

Given that we all know Shaun Pearson is a loyal, decent chap, his reaction towards Bignot after Wrexham played Chester last season was pretty telling.

What happened? Didn't see anything at the time.

I do remember Pearson being interviewed on RH towards the end of Bignot's tenure about his own future and you could tell something was amiss.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
MeanwoodMariner
February 12, 2019, 1:27pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Narrative? It's exactly what happened. With Slade in charge we didn't know where the next shot was coming from, let alone the next win. Jolley transformed the entire atmosphere at the club and without him we'd would 100% be a National League side right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › one year ago .............

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.