friskneymariner
February 11, 2019, 8:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Hooper was a Slade signing.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
rancido
February 12, 2019, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from acko338
Youth policy progression and being able to bring in players who fit and add to the team are good signs - ok , Hooper and Robles were 2 that didn't work here but in the main, most fans should be able to see that we are in the top half and playing better football.

Another year of similar progress will be very interesting to wstch !!

Robles was a gamble because I assume MJ thought he had potential. Once he realised that he wasn't going to develop then he got shut. Sometimes you have to take chances , the skill is realising when it's not working and not being stung for a lot of money.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
fishboyUTM
February 12, 2019, 11:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
I'd love to see Wes sign for another season. He is class and I love his salute, he forgot last Saturday. This 3-5-2 is working well, but I do wonder about Charles Vernam who is a quality footballer. Can he play in this formation? Is he an out and out centre forward?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
chaos33
February 12, 2019, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
I suppose that Jolley has Cook, Vernam and Cardwell to play that second striker role alongside Thomas in the 5-3-2 shape favoured. Competition. So long as one of those 3 is fit/doing the business then they're in the team and the other two have to wait for a chance and then take it. Fair enough I reckon.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
HertsGTFC
February 13, 2019, 7:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from pizzzza

Compared to this year there is a big Elliot Embleton shaped hole in that XI, is Whitehouse the player to replace him? Difficult to say until he is back...

I seem to recall that v Newport when Elliot want off Harry went in to that role and did ok

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
RonMariner
February 18, 2019, 10:25am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
If Dennis gets on well here, and likes the set up, that will go a long way towards persuading him to stay. If we have to fork out £100k, then I'd say it's a sound investment for a proven goal scorer.

It looks like we are building a sound defence, and have some good options in midfield, so a strike force of Thomas and Dennis would set us up very nicely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
acko338
February 18, 2019, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
If Jolley can raid the Swedish league for another couple of class players, or find another couple of young gems to fit into his 3 5 2 jigsaw for next season, then the playing side is looking very good !

The change in the defensive strength over the last few matches has been the mainstay of the team winning each time.

Embleton will go back to Sunderland at the end of the year with huge thanks for his contribution, so the search is on for a natural replacement.

Will a fit Elliott Whitehouse be the one already here, or has the search begun already for that position?

Another year for Max Wright to have matured, Akheem Rose also a year older and wiser, Matty Pollock to complete his growing process, more youth players knocking on the door to become squad players in the first instance?

All looking good to begin a bit of a conveyor belt of maturing talent for the next 3 to 4 seasons.

What looked to be an impossible task two months ago is now going to be a challenge to better opponents' results and catch up at least 6 to 8 points on all those immediately above us, with some teams playing each other to nullify their own chances.

The remainder of February and March will pan out if the challenge is realistic or not, but progress is excellent to date compared to last years' poor runs under Slade.

Be good to see a couple of of over 5,000 + home attendances as well, almost there last Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.