This thread currently has 7,653 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
February 11, 2019, 12:25pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Players seem to come and go so often I'll be amazed if there aren't a few new names in next season's "best" team.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 36
bedders78
February 11, 2019, 12:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Ipswin

(if Thomas leaves to go down south somewhere on the basis of his goals for us this season I'll be a bit drunk off frankly that he kick started his career with us then left)

That'll be 32 year old Wes Thomas who has played almost all of his career so far at least a division above this one?

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
Abdul19
February 11, 2019, 12:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89
Dennis will still have 2 years on his contract at Notts county at end of season, they apparently paid around 150k for him, now unless the board are willing to pay around that back then he won’t be with us next season

If they went down, they might be happy to get shot of his (presumably decent) wages?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
Abdul19
February 11, 2019, 12:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
All this vague talk of Thomas and him inevitably signing for a London/SE club - for the 6 years before his 2 at Oxford he was permanently contracted to Cheltenham, Bournemouth, Rotherham and Birmingham (with loans at Portsmouth, Blackpool, Swindon and Bradford) - all miles away!

(yes, I have omitted his 2 months at Crawley)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
Jarmo.Is.God
February 11, 2019, 1:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Where does Vernham for into this??..get him 100% fit and, from what I have seen of him he'd adequately fill Embletons boots, imo anyway, I'm sure plenty will disagree..but whatever happens, the core of the squad has to be up there with the best we've had in recent history

A fit Vernam start's upfront ahead of Cook for me, on his day, he is a top league 2 player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
forza ivano
February 11, 2019, 1:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
i suspect that there are a number of teams with deeper pockets than ours , who would be after Dennis in the summer, especially if he continues to score for us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
monkeyboy
February 11, 2019, 1:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Could be that Dennis does not like Notts County and he does not fit with them.
It does happen quite commonly that a fee gets paid then a year later let go.

Asante had a fee paid but someone took a dislike to him and it was goodbye.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
scott_gtfc_89
February 11, 2019, 1:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from marinerdazza

Notts County might not be in the best position to negotiate.

If he scores a bunch for us if we won’t pay around 100k for him someone else will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
diehardmariner
February 11, 2019, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Not unfeasible that Dennis will have a relegation release clause in his contract.  What that would be I can only guess but I doubt it would be anywhere near the fee County paid for him.  Of course it would also open up the market for other clubs to sneak in but having spent the last two-and-a-half years at struggling clubs, Dennis may well just want to be at a club going somewhere.

Be it financial or other methods of persuasion, Jolley is very capable of attracting players.  Hendrie no doubt had other suitors but opted for us.  I can't imagine that we were the only club that were in for Ohman, even Dennis will have had other clubs interested in him.  If it came down purely to money the likes of Salford would no doubt have had plenty to throw at a proven Conference goalscorer.  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
Ipswin
February 11, 2019, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from bedders78

That'll be 32 year old Wes Thomas who has played almost all of his career so far at least a division above this one?

Yes why do you think he lowered himself (if he was a 'division above' us) to come to Grimsby Town?

Was he a regular at his Div 1 club?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.