HertsGTFC
February 10, 2019, 5:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from GrimRob
If you were MJ and you were offered a three-year deal on improved terms what would you do?

I am not saying he wouldn't sign it, just interested in opinions!

I’m sure he’d sign a new deal as he could use that to his advantage. Not so much to his own personal betterment but it would say to any prospective signings that we are a stable club with a long term plan.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2019, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
There is evidence that the team can improve and play good football.  This potential hs been created by Jolley and he must see that he can take us further up the league.  This is to the benefit of the club - and Jolley. A win win position.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
chrissy
February 10, 2019, 5:57pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
MJ would welcome a 3 year deal I would think .I do not  think he is the type to walk away at the first bit of interest in him.He would like to finish his project with us before moving on I could be wrong you never know in football.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
fivestarfish
February 10, 2019, 6:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +23 / -20
Approval: +3
He has moved quite a bit on his career already. What is the longest he has been anywhere at?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
chrissy
February 10, 2019, 6:09pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from fivestarfish
He has moved quite a bit on his career already. What is the longest he has been anywhere at?

Maybe he has never had a long term contract,

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2019, 8:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from fivestarfish

Coaching positions are different. He did a one game stint as assistant manager at Boston as a favour when Dennis Greene took over. His spell as first team coach at Lincoln was when they had just dropped into the Conference and were in all sorts of turmoil. He did a 3 year stint at Burnley before the opportunity in management came along at Eskilstuna.  You can soon be on the scrapheap as a manager so I think he will sit tight until he feels he has taken us as far as he can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
GollyGTFC
February 10, 2019, 11:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
Imagine how many years contract you would give to MJ if he had won more league games than he’s lost and not the other way around. No ones going to be interested in MJ until he’s won promotion. I would suggest we wait until then before we start handing out daft contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 42
Mikey_345
February 10, 2019, 11:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Imagine how many years contract you would give to MJ if he had won more league games than he’s lost and not the other way around. No ones going to be interested in MJ until he’s won promotion. I would suggest we wait until then before we start handing out daft contracts.

Right, so wait until people are interested and the react to that... yes because that’s never gone wrong before has it.

Three years is not “daft” I’d hazard a guess it’s probably just about the norm.

If what we are seeing now starting to bear fruit isn’t worth a little gamble than I’m at a loss as to what is. We as a club have been behind in how we do things for years and it’s about time we became a little proactive with these things. I could list a huge amount of players we’ve lost because we didn’t commit to contracts and was either too cautious or too tight.

He’s building a good side who play attacking football on the floor. They play with passion, pride and are improving weekly. Won’t be long until that gets noticed and it’ll be to late I’m afraid.

As I said, if that ain’t worth a relatively small gamble I don’t know what is!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
friskneymariner
February 11, 2019, 12:14am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
You have only to have been to the last three games to realise something special is being built.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
GollyGTFC
February 11, 2019, 9:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,978
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Mikey_345

Right, so wait until people are interested and the react to that... yes because that’s never gone wrong before has it.

Three years is not “daft” I’d hazard a guess it’s probably just about the norm.

If what we are seeing now starting to bear fruit isn’t worth a little gamble than I’m at a loss as to what is. We as a club have been behind in how we do things for years and it’s about time we became a little proactive with these things. I could list a huge amount of players we’ve lost because we didn’t commit to contracts and was either too cautious or too tight.

He’s building a good side who play attacking football on the floor. They play with passion, pride and are improving weekly. Won’t be long until that gets noticed and it’ll be to late I’m afraid.

As I said, if that ain’t worth a relatively small gamble I don’t know what is!

2 of our last 15 permanent managers (spanning nearly 25 years) have lasted 3 years or more. To commit to 4 and a bit years of MJ when he’s only won just 17 league games out of 42 and lost 18 strikes me as being ridiculous.

How very long MJ is under contract if someone like Stoke City approached him (like with Nathan Jones) he’ll be gone whether he’s got 6 months or 3 years left on his contract.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Give Jolley 3 year deal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.