MuddyWaters
February 10, 2019, 10:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'll mention no.names, but I am good friends with an ex Hurst player who has reiterated several times that Hurst was a tosser to work for, and if you weren't in his inner sanctum he spoke to the players like cr@p...the man was completely unapproachable and arrogant bordering on the point of ignorance...so you ask why Amond, Arnold and a few others couldn't wait to get away...look no further than a poisoned dwarf .

I think there's several players who loved working with Hurst and several who didn't - much like most managers at most clubs. I'm not suggesting you do name your friend but not doing so means that there's no real context to your claim.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2019, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think there's several players who loved working with Hurst and several who didn't - much like most managers at most clubs. I'm not suggesting you do name your friend but not doing so means that there's no real context to your claim.

Of which I cannot do, and that's kind of what I've hinted at, the players that "got on" with Hurst will say he was great to work with but you if you didn't agree with him or questioned him you were slammed in the reserves or sent packing ..yet, if you listen to the Woolie interview, MJ appears to listen, talk, understand and give all players the chance to play and show him why they should be in the team...JJ being the obvious to this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
fishboyUTM
February 10, 2019, 10:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
He gave it his best, we spent far too long in that cesspit., he's probably right. I'm so glad he's gone, never liked the bloke. He didn't help himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2019, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,879
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Of which I cannot do, and that's kind of what I've hinted at, the players that "got on" with Hurst will say he was great to work with but you if you didn't agree with him or questioned him you were slammed in the reserves or sent packing ..yet, if you listen to the Woolie interview, MJ appears to listen, talk, understand and give all players the chance to play and show him why they should be in the team...JJ being the obvious to this.

How is Richard Brodie these days?

Podge said in the press recently that he is still close to Hurst & Doig and met up with him in earlier this season after a Newport game close to where Ipswich where playing.

I always had the impression that if a player came in and worked really hard then he'd be o.k. I worked with a relative of Scott Neilson who told me that Scott found Hurst decent to work for despite many thinking they fell out.

I think what you describe Northbank is no doubt correct but would be more credible if you could say where it came from, I get that you can't though. Also what you describe make Hurst no different to many managers in and out of professional sport I'm sure.  

On a different note I spoke to Hurst a few times and tough he came across a bit shy I found him polite and relatively friendly.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
February 10, 2019, 7:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc
If we had backed Hurst and given him the back room team that he wanted, I still believe he would have gone that season.

Bristol Rovers kept most of their promotion team whilst the following year, we dismantled ours. Players that fans could identify with were gone in an instant, replaced by seasoned professionals picking up their last contract (Vernon).

I doubt he will manage in the Premier League, unless he takes a club there himself.

Completely agree.
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst interview in the metro

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.