This thread currently has 10,104 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 9, 2019, 7:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,140
Gold Stars: 102
Hurst simply didn’t get Grimsby and the fans. Jolley simply does. I suspect Buckers does too. He used the little old Grimsby perfectly.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
Gaffer58
February 9, 2019, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
My one thought was that the promotion squad was successful and therefore confident, but for whatever reason it was dismantled and players came in from clubs that had just been relegated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
MeanwoodMariner
February 9, 2019, 7:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I always liked Hurst even though I'd agree he was too cautious and inexplicably willing to "take on" his own fans. I think his biggest mistake was panicking to build a squad for league 2. He needlessly ripped the heart out the promotion side. He allowed hugely popular players like Amond and Arnold to leave, and played Berrett and Summerfield ahead of  Disley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2019, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from moosey_club

but also the truth....every recent manager has said exactly the same, the infrastructure is way behind, the sports science, facilities, fitness, dietician etc
Our spell in non league may be used as an excuse for that so Hurst may feel that by getting us out of there and the additional income generated should have allowed him to improve that.  But not a chance with the tight ship finances we have.

We all know what happened at the end of that season and the failings of the club to profit out of the feel good factor from turning over the Veggie Green Rovers.

Couldn’t agree more. Having had a chat with PH since he left, I’ve no doubt that he expected to be able to bring in support staff in line with other League 2 clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
marinerdazza
February 9, 2019, 8:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I always liked Hurst even though I'd agree he was too cautious and inexplicably willing to "take on" his own fans. I think his biggest mistake was panicking to build a squad for league 2. He needlessly ripped the heart out the promotion side. He allowed hugely popular players like Amond and Arnold to leave, and played Berrett and Summerfield ahead of  Disley.

Agree with a lot of this. Thought Summerfield was ok though. Berrett was a flaccid penïs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
dapperz fun pub
February 9, 2019, 8:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from marinerdazza

Agree with a lot of this. Thought Summerfield was ok though. Berrett was a flaccid penïs.

Berrett was tosh and summers was better but in truth not much better , ran around a lot but never really achieved much. The lads we have in midfield nowadays are much better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
arryarryarry
February 9, 2019, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Hurst simply didn’t get Grimsby and the fans. Jolley simply does. I suspect Buckers does too. He used the little old Grimsby perfectly.

Actually Buckley made several disparaging comments about Town fans if they had been vocal about a poor performance.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2019, 9:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

If you read some recent comments from Amond it suggests Hurst wanted him to stay but wasn’t given the funds.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
TheGoalKipper
February 9, 2019, 9:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you read some recent comments from Amond it suggests Hurst wanted him to stay but wasn’t given the funds.

If you have a proven goalscorer and he wants to

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
TheGoalKipper
February 9, 2019, 9:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from HertsGTFC

If you have a proven goalscorer and he wants to

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst interview in the metro

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.