1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
RonMariner
February 6, 2019, 10:54am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,541
Gold Stars: 224
I thought the 2006 v 2019 thread was interesting, with the consensus indicating that the 2006 team was probably stronger.

But what about the 2016 team? how would todays side match up against Paul Hurst's play off winners? It will be a good indicator of how we have progressed, or not, since returning to the league.

Hurst's side included Toto and Pearson at the back, Disley and Nolan in midfield, and Amond and Bogle up front. Most of them would be serious contenders for a place in the current team.

So what do you think?

Logged Offline
Private Message
diehardmariner
February 6, 2019, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Easy to forget that the Hurst side fell over the line, absolutely stumbled up to the finishing line and collapsed an inch on the right side of it.

We lost the first play-off leg at home to Braintree, there was a banner on the way out of Town clearly stating HURST OUT.  No-one thought we had a cat in hells chance of beating the mighty Braintree to get to the final.  Hurst's tactics were so predictable and every man and his dog knew it was all geared around a big boot out to Monkhouse on the left wing for a flick-on, which hadn't worked since about October time.  He couldn't figure the midfield out, his best midfield was Jon Nolan but he wasn't able to sort a system that unleashed him.  

Monkhouse got injured and he played Nolan on the left, Arnold on the right and Craig Clay in the middle basically doing shuttle runs across the pitch to make up the ground they vacated.  Braintree were also comfortable until the forgotten Marcus Marshall came on with 13 minutes to go.  They then gave away a stupid penalty which Amond scuffed in.  In extra-time their 'keeper went walk about and Bogle headed in the winner.  If ever there was a case of fine margins, this was it.  Had their defender not got caught out, had Marshall not produced the display of his life, had their 'keeper stayed on his line....could all have been very different.  

We look back on the 2016 with misty eyes but it was barely good enough to get out the Conference.  It had quality and in Bogle and Amond we've probably not had a better front pairing in decades.  But Bogle was erratic and came into his own the following season.  Behind them Disley was probably just past his peak, Nolan was class but playing in the wrong system, Clay was at his natural level and history tells us that Nathan Arnold just wasn't meant to be a fourth-tier footballer.  

Shaun Pearson played second fiddle to Josh Gowling, who spectacularly failed to make the step-up back to the Football League.  Toto has gone onto bigger and better things, as has Richard Tait whilst Gregor Robertson was on his swansong.  

I don't remember any opposition to the idea that we needed to break that side up in the summer of 2016.  It just wouldn't have been good enough to have a serious crack at League Two.  Unfortunately Hurst got his recruitment badly wrong and brought in players who were downgrades rather than improvements.  

Vernon for Amond
Berrett for Clay
Boyce for Toto
Chambers for Arnold
Mills for Tait

I think the only upgrade was Danny Andrew for Robertson.

There's a fair few players I'd take into our squad from the 2016 side - Tait, Toto, Pearson, Nolan, Amond and Bogle.  Even thought that's half a team, I think the current side would comfortably beat the 2016 version. They just look to have much more about them. 2016 it was either Amond pulling something out of nothing or hoping Bogle was interested that day.  Early days for this side but they look a vast upgrade and one that's only going to get better.  2016 was never going to improve.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
jamesgtfc
February 6, 2019, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
McKeown
Hendrie Toto Öhman Ring
Embleton Clifton Nolan
Amond Bogle Thomas

I think it would be an even match up to be honest although that team clearly had firepower.  I've done a mixed team combining the squads and it is fairly even.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
diehardmariner
February 6, 2019, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
That midfield three looks quality, even without Hessenthaler and Disley (presuming father time is discounted from the equation).
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
RonMariner
February 6, 2019, 11:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,541
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from diehardmariner
Easy to forget that the Hurst side fell over the line, absolutely stumbled up to the finishing line and collapsed an inch on the right side of it.

We lost the first play-off leg at home to Braintree, there was a banner on the way out of Town clearly stating HURST OUT.  No-one thought we had a cat in hells chance of beating the mighty Braintree to get to the final.  Hurst's tactics were so predictable and every man and his dog knew it was all geared around a big boot out to Monkhouse on the left wing for a flick-on, which hadn't worked since about October time.  He couldn't figure the midfield out, his best midfield was Jon Nolan but he wasn't able to sort a system that unleashed him.  

Monkhouse got injured and he played Nolan on the left, Arnold on the right and Craig Clay in the middle basically doing shuttle runs across the pitch to make up the ground they vacated.  Braintree were also comfortable until the forgotten Marcus Marshall came on with 13 minutes to go.  They then gave away a stupid penalty which Amond scuffed in.  In extra-time their 'keeper went walk about and Bogle headed in the winner.  If ever there was a case of fine margins, this was it.  Had their defender not got caught out, had Marshall not produced the display of his life, had their 'keeper stayed on his line....could all have been very different.  

We look back on the 2016 with misty eyes but it was barely good enough to get out the Conference.  It had quality and in Bogle and Amond we've probably not had a better front pairing in decades.  But Bogle was erratic and came into his own the following season.  Behind them Disley was probably just past his peak, Nolan was class but playing in the wrong system, Clay was at his natural level and history tells us that Nathan Arnold just wasn't meant to be a fourth-tier footballer.  

Shaun Pearson played second fiddle to Josh Gowling, who spectacularly failed to make the step-up back to the Football League.  Toto has gone onto bigger and better things, as has Richard Tait whilst Gregor Robertson was on his swansong.  

I don't remember any opposition to the idea that we needed to break that side up in the summer of 2016.  It just wouldn't have been good enough to have a serious crack at League Two.  Unfortunately Hurst got his recruitment badly wrong and brought in players who were downgrades rather than improvements.  

Vernon for Amond
Berrett for Clay
Boyce for Toto
Chambers for Arnold
Mills for Tait

I think the only upgrade was Danny Andrew for Robertson.

There's a fair few players I'd take into our squad from the 2016 side - Tait, Toto, Pearson, Nolan, Amond and Bogle.  Even thought that's half a team, I think the current side would comfortably beat the 2016 version. They just look to have much more about them. 2016 it was either Amond pulling something out of nothing or hoping Bogle was interested that day.  Early days for this side but they look a vast upgrade and one that's only going to get better.  2016 was never going to improve.

A fabulous analysis. Hard to disagree with any of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Mariner_09
February 6, 2019, 12:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We were absolutely flying prior to an away defeat on January 30th by Gateshead, that was of course aided quite considerably by the presence of Townsend who was clearly playing 2 or 3 divisions below his level at that time. We also had a front 2 scaring the living daylight out of most defences and even though he was erratic Omar always tended to pop up with a goal, think he got 16 or 17 that season or something.

I’d still have Tait back into this team, think Hendrie’s good but Tait was just on another level when he played from October onwards that season. Toto likewise would be immense on the right of a back three, his distribution was erratic but it gradually improved and would certainly have the athleticism and composure to play that role.

Gowling was a liability when we got promoted, he looked off the pace and error prone. However, I’d still have Pearson back in a flash if I could, it still wrankles with me how he was allowed to leave to be replaced by Nathan Clarke and he’d still be a miles better backup (or probably starter) than Whitmore.

Robertson was on his last legs by that season so wouldn’t get in ahead of ring, nor would Evan Horwood (remember him)? I think Ring could develop into a really good left wing back for us.

As much as it loathes me to say it, a then 35 year old Craig Disley wouldn’t get near our current midfield sadly, he wouldn’t have the legs to play how Jolley wants us to. I still wouldn’t mind him to be a very sparingly used squad player who also did some coaching for us though, think it’d be great to have Dis and SP still here. Nolan would walk straight into our midfield, we kickstarted his career for him, as he was clearly just a cut above, in fact I think we’d extract more out of him at this level in a midfield 3 than we did down in the Conference. He had everything, he could pass, score, tackle, he had legs as well. Not sure which on the three he’d come in for, at a push probably Clifton (given role he plays but that’s very, very harsh on Clifton).

Arnold had chances with Cambridge and Lincoln and couldn’t cut it at this level and he doesn’t suit our current style and system so that’s another reluctant no. Omar and Podge or Thomas and Cook? Thomas has been brilliant this season but given the choice I’d rather have the former 2. Could you imagine with the form Omar showed that season in the league how many those 2 would’ve scored and created for each other? We’d have been knocking on the door of the top 3 I suspect but that’s as maybe. Therefore a combined XI would look like this.

McKeown
         Toto          Ohman    Collins
Tait   Embleton    Hess     Nolan    Ring
                   Omar     Amond

That looks like a side that could get in the top 7 of this league easily to me. That side’s also got players like Wes Thomas, Harry Clifton and Shaun Pearson on the bench so would have depth too.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
horsforthmariner
February 6, 2019, 1:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
I always thought we played better the previous season than the season we went up. From the 2016 side Amond, Bogle, Tait, Toto and Nolan would clearly also get in. Disley would be on the bench with Pearson and possibly Arnold. Roberston, Clay, Monkhouse, Gowling wouldn't get into our squad.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Jarmo.Is.God
February 6, 2019, 1:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from jamesgtfc
McKeown
Hendrie Toto Öhman Ring
Embleton Clifton Nolan
Amond Bogle Thomas

I think it would be an even match up to be honest although that team clearly had firepower.  I've done a mixed team combining the squads and it is fairly even.

I like Hendrie a lot, but Tait was a bloody fantastic player, and a great pro, loved that guy!

Pearson above Toto for me aswell, I liked Toto, but Pearson is a Legend, and hope to see him back one day!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2016 v 2019

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.