4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
February 6, 2019, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Don't really recall any of the fans complaining about the money being spent at the time. Remember some grumbling when Handyside left but personally didn't feel he was quite the same player when he returned from a season long injury anyway. I think Lawrence just did what he thought was right for a club in that league. All the big clubs were spending money to bring in good players and he hoped searching overseas for good players would work. In some cases it worked and in others not so much but in the end the lack of cash,size of the club and everything else caught up with his ambitions. Some players he bought in did well, some we couldn't afford to keep though.

I think he was right about the board though. We've never had very ambitious people running the club who are willing to raise money to drive the club forwards but that's kind of the town mentality too. This is why the council have never bothered to be on the club's side when it comes to a new stadium and why a good portion of the town would rather the club would not have one because they might one day be inconvenienced by traffic.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
RichMariner
February 6, 2019, 12:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
When you're a small club, you can't really compete financially with the big boys in the division so you have to look in other areas of the game to create excitement.

In my opinion, Lennie wasn't necessarily splashing big wages on foreign players because he truly thought they were the long-term solution. Rather, I believe he was trying to generate a bit of a buzz around the club - a bit like the Ivano effect.

Just for a few weeks (or months) we began to dream. Naturally it helps if the exotic players make us better - Lennie's were hit (Nielsen) and miss (Willems) - but who'd have thought we'd have a Chinese international playing for us?!

What Lennie was doing at 'little old Grimsby' was trying something different; getting us noticed and spoken about; raising our profile and doing everything he could that money wouldn't quite allow.

I appreciate some of the foreign imports were rumoured to be on large wages while they were here, but I think deep down he - and we - knew it was just temporary. The thought of holding onto Nielsen was fanciful, but it was nice while it lasted.

I don't think Lennie was erratic or wasteful. He had enjoyed some success as a manager, he had ideas and he tried something different with us. It worked, in the short-term, but the way it fell apart the following season was sad to see.

I was a little surprised to find out that he'd been sacked when he had. Groves then endured a tough couple of months trying to turn it around, but we really accelerated to safety in the end with what was largely Lennie's squad.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
rancido
February 6, 2019, 12:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33
£14,500 a week my @rse.
I've seen about 40 different figures quoted confidently over the years about what we paid Zhang, but you can bet your house it wasn't yours. Hogwash masquerading as truth as usual.

It may be hogwash but do you know? In the book The Grimsby Town Story it does say he " reputedly earned in the region of £13,000-per-week during his brief spell ". I don't know how accurate that figure is , do you?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
chaos33
February 6, 2019, 3:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
I honestly don't care mate.
We might ask why there are so many figures quoted confidently as facts and how they could all be true, and, who would indeed know?
Personally I ask if it's really believable that we could pay just 1 player the best part of £1m a year.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Les Brechin
February 6, 2019, 3:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from chaos33
We might ask why there are so many figures quoted confidently as facts and how they could all be true, and, who would indeed know?
Personally I ask if it's really believable that we could pay just 1 player the best part of £1m a year.

£1M a year?? Maths not your strong point then?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
chaos33
February 6, 2019, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
I said 'the best part of' clever clogs. 14.5k a week is roughly 750K p.a plus appearance and goal bonus and any other additional payments. Best part of a million.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
rancido
February 6, 2019, 7:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33

Well if you honestly don't care mate, then why post in the first place?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
moosey_club
February 6, 2019, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Kris2
Don't really recall any of the fans complaining about the money being spent at the time. Remember some grumbling when Handyside left but personally didn't feel he was quite the same player when he returned from a season long injury anyway. I think Lawrence just did what he thought was right for a club in that league. All the big clubs were spending money to bring in good players and he hoped searching overseas for good players would work. In some cases it worked and in others not so much but in the end the lack of cash,size of the club and everything else caught up with his ambitions. Some players he bought in did well, some we couldn't afford to keep though.

I think he was right about the board though. We've never had very ambitious people running the club who are willing to raise money to drive the club forwards but that's kind of the town mentality too. This is why the council have never bothered to be on the club's side when it comes to a new stadium and why a good portion of the town would rather the club would not have one because they might one day be inconvenienced by traffic.

Handyside was also carving out a reputation off the field as well which wasnt helping his football.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
fishboyUTM
February 7, 2019, 8:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from chaos33
£14,500 a week my @rse.
I've seen about 40 different figures quoted confidently over the years about what we paid Zhang, but you can bet your house it wasn't yours. Hogwash masquerading as truth as usual.

It was in the accounts as we are a PLC. For some reason that year, it showed the wage of the highest earner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
KingstonMariner
February 7, 2019, 8:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fishboyUTM

It was in the accounts as we are a PLC. For some reason that year, it showed the wage of the highest earner.

Could have been the manager

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lennie Lawrence

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.