2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 6, 2019, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,184
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm not sure it's not simply a case of the players not interpreting the rules, I think it's a genuinely impossible ask for players to not go into challenges as they do.  

Going into a challenge in a way that the modern game would deem safe is actually dangerous, you're asking professional athletes to put their bodies in the way of harm without the protection of their legs or arms going up in the way as a natural defence mechanism.  Try and go in for a sliding tackle and see if you can hold back on your feet going slightly off the floor or at a completely downward angle, you can't do it.  Your body will not allow it and instinct alone puts up the natural protection.  

The game has become too much of a non-contact sport and whilst we don't want to see the days of players getting 'done in' and careers ended because of a grudge, it needs to be a happy medium.  The footballing authorities would do well to look more at retrospective actions that can be taken rather than put pressure on the referee's to make immediate decisions.  There's cameras at all games, most games have multiple.  I think the referee's are under so much pressure to get it right, because of the scrutiny from extra cameras and the ability to see incidents from multiple angles and to be slowed down etc.  But without the assistance that all that should be bring.  If they see something that they're not sure of, they're bound to be thinking 'well I best send him off because I don't want the pundits ripping me apart later on'.  

The Tyrone Mings incident is a classic example of how it could be used, albeit from the other end of the spectrum.
The referee saw something, he didn't think it was intentional.  He let it go.  That's fine, it's a split-second event and we don't know what was blocking the referee's eyeline or what view he had.  However it was just sheer nastiness from Mings.  He knew what he was doing and he did it with intent, in my opinion.  The footage should be used, regardless of what the referee decided on the day, to punish Mings accordingly.  

We've got all this technology, let's use it correctly and to help the match officials. Yet instead we're pushing bloody VAR which does absolutely nothing to improve the game other than sell extra advertising slots.

Absolutely spot on regarding VAR.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
TownSNAFU5
February 6, 2019, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
There was a ref on talkSPORT having a go at the media for criticising refs.

We all make mistakes.  But what annoys fans is when referees get the basics wrong (when fans can clearly see the bad decision).  Refs rarely admit to their mistakes and there is no accountability or communication with fans.  We are in the entertainment business.  I think that in 20 years refs will be exspected to explain their decisions to all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another excrement ref

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.