2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
The Grim Reaper
February 5, 2019, 3:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
The same one that sent off 2 of our players at Yeovil last season. Granted that  Mitch Rose's was deserved, but he's already done 11 this season. Did anyone notice or mention the ref against Newport on Saturday? Must have been decent.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co......y-town-on-09-feb-19/

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
February 5, 2019, 3:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Just hope we don't get that lino who was at the London Stadium last night, he was terrible.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Gaffer58
February 5, 2019, 4:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mariner_09
Just hope we don't get that lino who was at the London Stadium last night, he was terrible.

I think you're being a bit harsh, the Liverpool player was only 2 yards offside, but don't forget it's Liverpool and it's years since they won the title, so I think Sky and the Premier League are helping wherever possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
mimma
February 5, 2019, 4:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Don't dive in recklessly and you don't give him a decision to make
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
diehardmariner
February 5, 2019, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
I thought the ref against Newport was largely pretty decent.  The only thing he got wrong was when Labadie elbowed Hendrie and escaped with a talking to.

Potentially quite significant and it could have been a game changer but unfortunately it feels like we're at the standard that we have to accept such shortcomings.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
buckstown
February 6, 2019, 10:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought the ref against Newport was largely pretty decent.  The only thing he got wrong was when Labadie elbowed Hendrie and escaped with a talking to.

Potentially quite significant and it could have been a game changer but unfortunately it feels like we're at the standard that we have to accept such shortcomings.

I've seen a lot of Spurs this season as a mate has a spare season ticket. He's never walked away without commenting that the ref was rubbish and gave them nothing. Don't think it matters what level you're at, everybody thinks the ref is cr@p
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
RichMariner
February 6, 2019, 12:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
This ref dishes out a red card every three games and we average one every four games.

There seem to be more red cards these days than there were just 5-10 seasons ago. I know football is evolving and becoming less of a contact sport as new rules apply for more 'robust' challenges (even when they win the ball) but it seems to me that players are either not interpreting the law correctly or referees are more card-happy now than they've ever been.

Probably a bit of both.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
oochiad
February 6, 2019, 12:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
Quote “I thought the ref against Newport was largely pretty decent.  The only thing he got wrong was when Labadie elbowed Hendrie and escaped with a talking to.”

Did he not miss a clear handball for Newport in the first half?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
diehardmariner
February 6, 2019, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
I'm not sure it's not simply a case of the players not interpreting the rules, I think it's a genuinely impossible ask for players to not go into challenges as they do.  

Going into a challenge in a way that the modern game would deem safe is actually dangerous, you're asking professional athletes to put their bodies in the way of harm without the protection of their legs or arms going up in the way as a natural defence mechanism.  Try and go in for a sliding tackle and see if you can hold back on your feet going slightly off the floor or at a completely downward angle, you can't do it.  Your body will not allow it and instinct alone puts up the natural protection.  

The game has become too much of a non-contact sport and whilst we don't want to see the days of players getting 'done in' and careers ended because of a grudge, it needs to be a happy medium.  The footballing authorities would do well to look more at retrospective actions that can be taken rather than put pressure on the referee's to make immediate decisions.  There's cameras at all games, most games have multiple.  I think the referee's are under so much pressure to get it right, because of the scrutiny from extra cameras and the ability to see incidents from multiple angles and to be slowed down etc.  But without the assistance that all that should be bring.  If they see something that they're not sure of, they're bound to be thinking 'well I best send him off because I don't want the pundits ripping me apart later on'.  

The Tyrone Mings incident is a classic example of how it could be used, albeit from the other end of the spectrum.
The referee saw something, he didn't think it was intentional.  He let it go.  That's fine, it's a split-second event and we don't know what was blocking the referee's eyeline or what view he had.  However it was just sheer nastiness from Mings.  He knew what he was doing and he did it with intent, in my opinion.  The footage should be used, regardless of what the referee decided on the day, to punish Mings accordingly.  

We've got all this technology, let's use it correctly and to help the match officials. Yet instead we're pushing bloody VAR which does absolutely nothing to improve the game other than sell extra advertising slots.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
arryarryarry
February 6, 2019, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
The ref for last night's Newport game was excrement for missing that clear handball in the Boro penalty area when he had a clear view of it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another excrement ref

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.