This thread currently has 2,128 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
February 4, 2019, 1:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I know some of you had a wee bet on the bookies for an Auchinleck win against Ayr at 14/1. My £20 saw me pick up £300. Rumour has it that the bookies in Auchinleck is on extra medication after the huge blow to his business from locals doing similar.

Anyway, for anyone who's thinking of doing something similar this next weekend when we play Hearts at Tynecastle on Sunday, the odds should be out tomorrow / Tuesday. Given that we were 14/1 for a home tie vs a Championship side am hoping we're going to be at least double that for an away tie at a Premiership club - unless the bookies have finally woken up of course. For followers of form - Talbot won 7-0 away from home this Saturday at Petershill, a place where we always struggle because it's a poor grade plastic pitch. The Hearts manager Craig Levein was there watching us, so he's not taking it lightly. Of the 18 away games we've played in all competitions this year we've won 17 of them, drawing the other one. That's good form.

99 times out of 100 we'll lose this tie, but it's a two horse race and that 1% chance will certainly be taken up by myself and many other Talbot fans. The win against Ayr was probably the biggest Scottish Cup shock, on paper - but not to us - since Berwick beat Rangers in 1967. It was an absolutely brilliant day out. Think Everton League Cup 1979-80 and it's even on a bigger scale than that.

As soon as the £300 came through on my Paddy Power account I took £280 out, but left £20 in for a flutter on the Hearts game. Am going for scores this time, for the win and the draw. Don't do this at home kids, and always ask your parents first, but I'd have 50 pee on the Talbot just to do something really special next weekend!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
dapperz fun pub
February 4, 2019, 1:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Good luck jock but can only see a heavy loss this time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
RichMariner
February 4, 2019, 4:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
There are so many teams in the 'junior' leagues that are better than the semi-pros.

Because you don't have a fluid promotion/relegation set-up in Scotland between league and non-league you end up getting quality sides bunched up in the non-league and some rotten 'league' teams floating around near the bottom, but rarely do they replace each other.

Naturally Hearts should win this but you never know... they'll be expected to win 3-0 or 4-0 at the very least, despite the previous round's upset, so they're in a 'no win' situation.

Think the margin in this game will be just one or two goals. Winning is a habit and although there's a massive step up in quality for Auchinleck I think they'll put up one hell of a fight.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
Paris Mariner
February 4, 2019, 4:16pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from RichMariner
There are so many teams in the 'junior' leagues that are better than the semi-pros.

Because you don't have a fluid promotion/relegation set-up in Scotland between league and non-league you end up getting quality sides bunched up in the non-league and some rotten 'league' teams floating around near the bottom, but rarely do they replace each other.

Naturally Hearts should win this but you never know... they'll be expected to win 3-0 or 4-0 at the very least, despite the previous round's upset, so they're in a 'no win' situation.

Think the margin in this game will be just one or two goals. Winning is a habit and although there's a massive step up in quality for Auchinleck I think they'll put up one hell of a fight.

The Highland and the Lowland league feed into the SPFL. The Junior leagues are a separate organisation. They don't allow floodlight football, if I'm not mistaken, and are run by the SJFA so the point about feeder teams isn't quite accurate. I think the reason is probably similar to in England where some players stay local (the Junior leagues are more regionalised) because they have decent jobs and are happy just playing football for fun so to speak.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 9
jock dock tower
February 4, 2019, 4:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
It's all about to change in the West Juniors this year PM. Don't like it but that's progress I suppose. The grade of football I watch, week in week out is by far the best in non league Scotland - and it's why we've beaten Cove Rangers and Fraserburgh, the two top teams in the Highland League earlier in the competition. We also won away at Wick, never an easy place to go - think Cheltenham for Town for similar.

It costs me £80 for my season ticket (15 league games) and it'll be £40 next year when I reach the mature retirement age. It's such a great game, proper working class football as most of the non Glasgow teams are in old mining communities.

We expect our run to end on Sunday, but.........We've history at Hearts having played them there in the 4th round of the Cup in 2011-12 when we lost 1-0, and had an equalising goal wrongly chalked off in the 94th minute for offside. This team is better than that team, and Hearts went on to win the Scottish Cup that year.

Looking to probably have maybe 10 or so £2 bets on various aspects of the game, score, scorers, ht/ft etc. Who knows????

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 4, 2019, 4:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Cant even find any odds on it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
jock dock tower
February 4, 2019, 7:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Frustratingly, nobody's offered any yet. Should imagine they'll have to be out tomorrow.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
moosey_club
February 4, 2019, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Do bookies only accept Scottish notes when betting on Scottish footy ?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2019, 10:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from moosey_club
Do bookies only accept Scottish notes when betting on Scottish footy ?  

Naw. They're no' daft. But they'll giya yer wennins in Scawtish poonds.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
jock dock tower
February 6, 2019, 2:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Just a quick one. Auchinleck's penalty taker is Gordon Pope, and have just had a few wee bets around the game, one of which was £3 on him to score the first goal at 66/1. £200 return if it comes off for the price of a pint.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Meanwhile, up in Scotland...part 67

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.