Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Remember this ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

Remember this ?

This thread currently has 3,590 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 3, 2019, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
I believe he was born in Grimsby.  I remember that it was reported that we took 12,000.

As Coventry fans moved towards Town fans behind the goal, opposite end to the pen, I had my Town scarf nicked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 3, 2019, 9:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,644
Gold Stars: 70
May have said this on previous threads but seem to recall around 150 coaches going. We had one just filled with a Rasen lads and left at half nine and only just made the match traffic was so bad.

Before the Newark bypass was built and recall we had three pints in the Bridge pub going into Newark whilst our bus moved around 300 yards.

True story that in those days I had been in a bit of trouble and my mum not happy about me going insisting I behave myself. After the game lots of Cov fans around and cops and I was running back towards our buses. Cops were shouting at me and it was the era where you had your silk town scarf tied round your wrist. I kept running but tried to show the cops I was Grimsby fan by turning as I ran, showing the scarf but immediately ran straight into a lamppost. Not only exceedingly painful but gave me a swollen face and bruising and a story Mum was not really going to believe.

To be honest the penalty decision was probably a bigger pain but some great days out in those McMenemy days to Norwich, Doncaster (night game and a full on brick assault inside the ground), York first game of the 72/73 season on boiling hot day. Loved that McMenemy period and Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
grimsby pete
February 3, 2019, 10:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I remember that game well we had 12,000 official fans there on the day but there were a lot more than that there.

One of the few games my mam attended with me dad and my first wife,

I remember seeing more of my old friends there than I had seen in Grimsby for years,

We were everywhere  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
sydney
February 3, 2019, 10:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
I went with on a coach with Mrs Bryant who was the cook and tea lady at my Mums work
Been hoooked ever since
Come on Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
jock dock tower
February 4, 2019, 1:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Think the GET reported it as being nearer a 20,000 following, and when you see their average it was definitely heading that way. Like many others that got there fairly late was shepherded in amongst the Coventry fans in their end, which was a wee bit hair raising at times. The coaches going over the flyover birdge at Newark were taking 30 odd minutes to do a couple of hundred yards. It was an incredible away following for a 3rd Division side back then, but we were very successful and had the backing of not just Grimsby but most of Lincolnshire bar Scunny and Lincoln. Anyone else remember all the coaches down Harrington Street every home game from Boston, Skeggy, Caistor, Rasen, all over? Just two years after we were playing in front of 2 to 3,000 home crowds we were playing in front of 23,000 vs Exeter. Absolutelyfuckingmentalitwas.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Rik e B
February 4, 2019, 6:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
10, 12, 13 possibly 20 thousand wow just wow. Unlucky on the penno lads. Great story though

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Mrs Doyle
February 4, 2019, 7:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quote:
Well, I was hardly a boot boy (I was only 15) but I was in their end with a fair few others. As far as I recall, we didn't have any say in the matter and were just shepherded in there much like when I was shepherded with a load of others into the Kop at Liverpool when they thumped us 5-0! Unquote:

I never got to that game as I was only fourteen my Dad passed away just earlier that year (Massive heart attack) however I did go to Anfield much later with George Kerrs brilliant team. Problem was Bob Paisley's Liverpool was one of the best club teams in the world in those days subsequently we got thumped 5-0.

Well over 40k that day and thousands of town fans they had to put us in the Kop in those days the Kop one seething mass of people thousands packed tight together.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of trouble at football in those days I remember being hit in the back of the head by a stone/coin? (Very painful) and needed hospital treatment.

So not only did we get hammered I had a thumping headache all the way home from Liverpool A&E.

Still, it did not put me off still supporting the team after all those years in my father's footsteps and my two sons do the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
devon mariner
February 4, 2019, 9:34pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
I remember the day well. I was on the coach from the Graving dock. Some proper hard nuts on there.  Ended up in the wrong end and was attacked continuously by Coventry thugs and the police. I left Highfield Road with a split head and a coppers helmet which I sold later on that night in a Leicester night club.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
devon mariner
February 4, 2019, 9:36pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
Quoted from devon mariner
I remember the day well. I was on one of the coaches from the Graving dock. Some proper hard nuts on there.  Ended up in the wrong end and was attacked continuously by Coventry thugs and the police. I left Highfield Road with a split head and a coppers helmet which I sold later on that night in a Leicester night club.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Remember this ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.