Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2006 v 2019 - Who would win?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

2006 v 2019 - Who would win?

This thread currently has 4,212 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
February 4, 2019, 11:55am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from Abdul19

We were alright against Spurs

We played really well against Newcastle too. Had it not been for an unlucky slip as Bolly went out to close the winner we probably would have taken them to extra time.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 24
diehardmariner
February 4, 2019, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Paris Mariner
No, we weren't as good as everyone remembers especially against the better teams. Slade's promotion record speaks for itself - he has never got anyone over the line, including us.

In his defence, how many seasons was he expected to actually get anyone promoted?

First season here was a rebuild.  Second season we fell short.
At Yeovil he wasn't expected to get promotion, never in a million years but got them to a play-off final.
Brighton he was firefighting against relegation and succeeded.
Orient he punched above his weight.  Kept them up with another fire fighting job, achieved finishes of 7th, 20th and 7th in League One before taking them to within a penalty shoot-out of the Championship.  They've dropped like a stone since.
At Cardiff he was fighting the tide and achieved finishes of 10th and 8th in the Championship despite having his squad cut to meet financial constraints.  
Charlton and Coventry were both basket case clubs.
2nd spell here I'm not sure how much expectation was on him to achieve promotion as opposed to offload the high earners.  

He got it wrong here, absolutely wrong and he cost us so much momentum in his relatively short spell.  But I'm not sure we can beat him with the 'never got a promotion' stick when he's probably only had one realistic chance of achieving it.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 4, 2019, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from diehardmariner

In his defence, how many seasons was he expected to actually get anyone promoted?

First season here was a rebuild.  Second season we fell short.
At Yeovil he wasn't expected to get promotion, never in a million years but got them to a play-off final.
Brighton he was firefighting against relegation and succeeded.
Orient he punched above his weight.  Kept them up with another fire fighting job, achieved finishes of 7th, 20th and 7th in League One before taking them to within a penalty shoot-out of the Championship.  They've dropped like a stone since.
At Cardiff he was fighting the tide and achieved finishes of 10th and 8th in the Championship despite having his squad cut to meet financial constraints.  
Charlton and Coventry were both basket case clubs.
2nd spell here I'm not sure how much expectation was on him to achieve promotion as opposed to offload the high earners.  

He got it wrong here, absolutely wrong and he cost us so much momentum in his relatively short spell.  But I'm not sure we can beat him with the 'never got a promotion' stick when he's probably only had one realistic chance of achieving it.

No it was of my opinion when he came that after the biggest job of his career to date at cardiff, he had accepted two bad clubs at the time who were already in trouble, coventry fans were not happy with his management and he probably shouldve taken a break from the game, I bet he’ll look back and regret not having longer out after cardiff.

Then he came here and if you think about it he had the mentality of taking over another troubled relegation side when at that time we were actually fine. He focused on playing for results and got rid of long term prospects for short term solutions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
nightrider
February 4, 2019, 6:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
That 2006 side had two goes at promotion and failed - ultimately they weren't good enough
Yet on paper every player is better than what we have now.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
Mariner_501
February 5, 2019, 8:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
How is this even a question?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2006 v 2019 - Who would win?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.