This thread currently has 2,946 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
February 3, 2019, 2:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Me personally would like to apologise to M.J as I was defiantly one of the people against 352.

After how it went the times we tried it at the start of the season and how it went against lincoln and Macclesfield I honestly didn’t think it would work,

After seeing it against Mk and Newport it was a pleasure to see and expecially yesterday probaly some of the best attacking football I’ve seen at BP for many years.

Seemed like we had an extra man on the pitch most of the time with RH popping up in the box number of times and Hendrie with winning the peno and even saw Collins up there a few times in pkay not a set piece, Newport just didn’t know what to do or mark.

Long live in continue if we keep playing like that and may I add we have great competition for places now with Clifton, Vernam, Dennis and may more on the bench.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Gaffer58
February 3, 2019, 3:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Personally I don't really care about formations, could be 352, 442, or even a diamond, I think the manager vie the players should be able to adapt to different situations and opposition styles. We cannot be rigid otherwise we become predictable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
jimgtfc
February 3, 2019, 4:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
Exactly the same mate. I hated any 3/5 at the back with wing back formations, but MJ has convinced me. It’s the way that the 2 wider central defenders are allowed to come out and contribute to the attack like RHJ did yesterday. We’ve also got 2 proper wing backs now not the square pegs we had in the summer. I was also dubious as to how we would be able to affect the wide areas in the attacking third but as well as the wing backs and midfielders making runs, the strikers are also running the channels and pulling wide. Very impressed with the system in the last 2 games.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
friskneymariner
February 3, 2019, 4:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Difference now we have players with pace .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Tommy
February 3, 2019, 4:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
How anyone can be against a particular formation I don't know.

Who'd have thought waiting a few games and not just judging it on two games against teams in the top 4 would be a more sensible way of looking at it too.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
February 3, 2019, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Tommy

Who'd have thought waiting a few games and not just judging it on two games against teams in the top 4 would be a more sensible way of looking at it too.

I agree with this entirely. We have all seen us play brilliantly and /or dire with any formation you care to mention.

I think it depends on the quality of the players, their trust in the manager and what he expects, and a positive vision of where the team is heading.

It was difficult to believe after all the trials and tribulations we have gone through, but the team were fantastic yesterday I must say. Probably for the first time really we had a high-pressure game with players interchanging positions and all of them looking very composed and comfortable on the ball.

Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
scott_gtfc_89
February 3, 2019, 5:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Tommy

For me it was the fact we did so well over Christmas in the other formation without any fit CBs then we change and loose to lincoln then loose again very unconvincely to Macclesfield and forest green it was dire with fit CBs,

But credit where due maybe we wasnt still quite fully trained on the 352 formation but it has been convincing since and people seem to know there jobs when they can attack and when they can’t attack.

Gotta give keep taking steps forward now and not two back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
rancido
February 3, 2019, 5:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
I can't remember which famous manager said " it's players that win games not formations " but surely it's more about players who can play to a formation. Not all full backs can play the wing back role and also not all centre backs can play the ball out of defence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Grantley
February 3, 2019, 5:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

For me it was the fact we did so well over Christmas in the other formation without any fit CBs then we change and loose to lincoln then loose again very unconvincely to Macclesfield and forest green it was dire with fit CBs,

But credit where due maybe we wasnt still quite fully trained on the 352 formation but it has been convincing since and people seem to know there jobs when they can attack and when they can’t attack.

Gotta give keep taking steps forward now and not two back.

Those games were pretty much attack vs defence though. Sure, we scraped by in those games by being clinical but it wasn’t a sustainable way of playing. I’d much rather be watching games like yesterday than the ones against Exeter and Crystal Palace.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
jimgtfc
February 3, 2019, 6:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

But surely everyone has a favourite way of playing, style or formation. It’s not just football managers.

I didn’t just judge it on towns version, it’s just the formation in general whenever I’ve seen it used in football, and I’ve played in it myself and felt very uncomfortable in it.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
moosey_club
February 3, 2019, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,143
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from rancido
I can't remember which famous manager said " it's players that win games not formations " but surely it's more about players who can play to a formation. Not all full backs can play the wing back role and also not all centre backs can play the ball out of defence.

Mike Newell said that  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2019, 6:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jimgtfc

But surely everyone has a favourite way of playing, style or formation. It’s not just football managers.

I didn’t just judge it on towns version, it’s just the formation in general whenever I’ve seen it used in football, and I’ve played in it myself and felt very uncomfortable in it.

No disrespect, but couldn't this be more a comment on you (and the vast majority of players) who aren't up to the standard we're aspiring to?

i.e. good players adapt to different formations. In fact aren't 352, 532, etc just variants of the same structure played within one game? If you stay in one position (relative to the other players in the team) you're just a bit inflexible and likely to get overrun in different parts of the field by players who can adapt.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
jimgtfc
February 3, 2019, 6:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

No disrespect, but couldn't this be more a comment on you (and the vast majority of players) who aren't up to the standard we're aspiring to?

i.e. good players adapt to different formations. In fact aren't 352, 532, etc just variants of the same structure played within one game? If you stay in one position (relative to the other players in the team) you're just a bit inflexible and likely to get overrun in different parts of the field by players who can adapt.

Quiet possibly mate, I’ve always played on the wing but signed for a team who played me left wing back. I got slaughtered every week! Our wing backs yesterday had so much more support and where really effective.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
TwoLeftFeet
February 3, 2019, 6:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,065
Gold Stars: 18
Wing backs a tough position esp if you don't get support.. Remember Laws playing himself there as a right wing back up against Froggett of Wolves and they tore him a new one with Steve Bull getting a hat trick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Apology on 352

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.