norfuk mariner
February 5, 2019, 8:59am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
Surely the point is that for all anyone on here knows he may already have been offered a longer term contract and turned it down to retain the flexibility of the rolling contract. At the end of the day it will be his decision to reject or accept such a deal and to be accusing the club of a failure to tie him down without knowing the facts is a bit short sighted.

Surely this is one of the key questions to be asked of Mr Fenty at the forthcoming Trust evening. Some of the issues previously mooted on the thread about the evening are now redundant. The recent euphoria has not diminished the need for the long term future of the club to be clarified and JF to be pressed to deal with the fans concerns including ownership
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
rancido
February 5, 2019, 10:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Question is 'Do you think Michael Jolley's future at GTFC needs to be protected by tying him to a longer term contract?'

What the intercourse that has to do with being pro or anti John Fenty is beyond me.

Answer to question 1 - yes I do and have stated in a previous post.

Reply to question 2 - it was the person who replied to my post who mentioned JF, not me. Maybe accurately reading posts and replies is the reality that is beyond you?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
rancido
February 5, 2019, 10:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He might. He might but I don't see Jolley as a gambler. He was pretty much unproven as a club manager when he joined so it could have easily gone mammaries up with no financial security. So odds are he would prefer a longer contract. As time goes on and he gets more established and builds his reputation, then his interests would be served by a shorter term contract. Which is precisely what people are concerned about. That's the point of maximum risk for the club.

I would imagine his earlier career in the world of banking/finance especially as a fixed income trader would indicate he has a grounding in taking " calculated risks". Who knows , except MJ himself, how he sees his future progress. He is obviously ambitious and sees football management as his career ( he would hardly turn his back on what was obviously a highly lucrative career in banking if he didn't ). The point though is  does he see GTFC as stepping stone  so he can manage at a higher level with another club or does he want to achieve that same level with us ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
AussieMariner
February 5, 2019, 10:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

He might. He might but I don't see Jolley as a gambler. He was pretty much unproven as a club manager when he joined so it could have easily gone mammaries up with no financial security. So odds are he would prefer a longer contract. As time goes on and he gets more established and builds his reputation, then his interests would be served by a shorter term contract. Which is precisely what people are concerned about. That's the point of maximum risk for the club.

Interesting how we draw different conclusions from the same information. I see the fact that he gave up a secure(ish) job in banking for the lottery of football management as a sign that he is a gambler.
He made it pretty clear in the Q&A session last week that he doesnt want to be in League 2 for too much longer so I think the only chance we have of keeping him is to give him the resources to take us up the leagues with him.
I guess the real question is whether JF and the board are gamblers......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Skrill
February 5, 2019, 11:36am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
I really like the way the team is shaping up.

Keepers:

Mckeown having a fantastic season, he went on a good 12 streak of games each one making two to three outstanding saves.
Russell is a nice backup, very professional.

Defense:

Hendrie on a long contract who has come in and done a swell job. The fact he signed a two-year contract shows he wants to be here which is great.
Recce-Hall Johnson who is a totally different player. Who knew he could play centre-back? Gives us good flexibility for positions.
Collins the prem vet, good leader perhaps his time is nearly up but still great at this level.
Harry Davies is another solid player, was the reason we went on that wining streak and is back from injury.
Matt Pollock shinned against Exeter away and can learn a lot from these players. One for the future.
Alex Whitmore the good counter to the standard League Two strike forces, still only 23!
Ludvig Ohman is quality at this level having come from the Swedish prem.
Seb Ring looks to be a skillful wing-back. This is the way the game is going and Jolley knows it.
Grayson, son of Simon Grayson, adds competition for places and is young, doesn't want to sit on the bench for Blackburn.

Midfield: We have not had a midfield this good in a while

Woolford, intelligent with the ball like Pringle to feed crosses and still gets stuck in.
Welsh, amazing how this guy hasn't had many games.
Harry Clifton has done excellently, hardworker and skillful with his passing. One most definitely for the future.
Hessenthaler seems a quality league one midfielder with the ball and without it, Mr Consistent.
Embleton is a gem at this level. Really like the assists this guy produces and the passing.
Akhem Rose has already got his first league goal, but is one for the future. Perhaps a loan is due for him.
Whitehouse, will be like a new signing when he returns. Solid league two midfilder too played many games for Lincoln since 2016.

Strikers:

Wes Thomas is simply a goalscorer. 9 this season and counting.
Harry Cardwell got his first league goal. Perhaps one to go out on loan, do like his work rate.
Kristian Dennis is a one to watch. If he can find his goal scoring form as he did at Chesterfield we'll be rocking.
Jordan Cook former Luton striker is a decent player. Good to have him back from injury.
Charles Vernham, considering his our assist machine says a lot that he didn't even get to play against Newport.

https://twitter.com/d3d4football/status/1092498369233211393

https://twitter.com/TommyBryan84/status/1092332995179098112

Jolley and Limbrick are making a solid foundation, maybe we can finally get a bit of consistency? One can dream! (I believe)

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
KingstonMariner
February 5, 2019, 3:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from AussieMariner

Interesting how we draw different conclusions from the same information. I see the fact that he gave up a secure(ish) job in banking for the lottery of football management as a sign that he is a gambler.
He made it pretty clear in the Q&A session last week that he doesnt want to be in League 2 for too much longer so I think the only chance we have of keeping him is to give him the resources to take us up the leagues with him.
I guess the real question is whether JF and the board are gamblers......

I see making that switch in career as not gambling. He didn't make the change because he thought he could make more money, or even necessarily he expected to become a high-level manager, he did it because he has a passion for the game and it came out of one of those life-changing moments when you question whether what you're doing is really what you want to be doing. He was switching to a field that he loved so regardless of the success in promotion/financial turns he was already on to a winner. And he had skills (and impressive qualifications) that he could fall back on should football not work out. So a calculated risk but with a massive safety net.

Rancido makes the point he was already making calculated risks in his previous career. But that's not the same as gambling.

And I think we know the board are not gamblers. They're not risk takers at all. To a man. Well not conscious risk-takers. They've often risked the well-being of the club. What's the phrase about spoiling the ship?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
diehardmariner
February 5, 2019, 4:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Funny how we never spoke of the skills that Russell Slade could transfer into football management from the classroom isn't it?  
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
MuddyWaters
February 5, 2019, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

Answer to question 1 - yes I do and have stated in a previous post.

Reply to question 2 - it was the person who replied to my post who mentioned JF, not me. Maybe accurately reading posts and replies is the reality that is beyond you?

Maybe discussing things on the level rather than pontificating from your moral high ground might get a less acerbic response.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
Rodley Mariner
February 5, 2019, 5:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I don't know if he's a gambler but I bet he's extremely ambitious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
friskneymariner
February 5, 2019, 5:49pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from diehardmariner
Funny how we never spoke of the skills that Russell Slade could transfer into football management from the classroom isn't it?  

He let the fans down,he let the team down,but more importantly he let himself down.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Great Leap Forward

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.