7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 3, 2019, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,861
Gold Stars: 42
Re the thread title - at Northampton in late Nov we went bottom during that game.

2 months later we have improved by exactly half a division.  This has been achieved with numerous injuries and red cards.

Next season we could become the Div2 Leicester City by building on our impressive results at the end of the previous season and taking the division by storm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 63
psgmariner
February 3, 2019, 12:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We’re currently mid table and just beat a team who were trying not to get injured / tired ahead of their big cup game.

I would leave all talk of the new deal till we see where we finish this season. The management team are doing a good job but let’s not go over board.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 63
rancido
February 3, 2019, 12:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Technically you're right, but some how you're missing something. Unless you know something we don't?

Sorry but I can't see what I'm missing. We fans don't know what's going on in the background and it takes two to strike a deal. I know no more than anybody else but just taking a different view on the subject. I'm not saying this is a reason but JF and the club have had their fingers burned in the past by offering long contracts and then having to cough up big money when form dips. We also had the fiasco when the club announced a new contract to Slade when he was here the first time. Whoever was at fault it never happened and the club was left with " egg on its face " when Slade left to another club . I obviously support " The Black And White " but not everything in life is like that and that's how I see things. I maybe a cynic but at least it helps having to avoid the pain when things go " t*ts up "!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 63
Grantley
February 3, 2019, 2:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Re the thread title - at Northampton in late Nov we went bottom during that game.

2 months later we have improved by exactly half a division.  This has been achieved with numerous injuries and red cards.

Next season we could become the Div2 Leicester City by building on our impressive results at the end of the previous season and taking the division by storm.

Don’t think we did go bottom? There were 4 teams below us for the whole game.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
Son of Cod
February 3, 2019, 2:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Grantley

Don’t think we did go bottom? There were 4 teams below us for the whole game.

Yeah, we definitely didn't go bottom. Macc would have been about 10 points behind us after that match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
Abdul19
February 3, 2019, 2:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, we definitely didn't go bottom. Macc would have been about 10 points behind us after that match.

'One point above 2nd from bottom' according to the match thread.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
Son of Cod
February 3, 2019, 4:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Abdul19

'One point above 2nd from bottom' according to the match thread.

Just checked and we finished that match 4 points ahead of Notts County in 23rd, but they were beating Morecambe at a point when Northampton were beating us so that would have been correct yeah. Finished the match 9 points ahead of Macc though, so we never went bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2019, 5:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Sorry but I can't see what I'm missing. We fans don't know what's going on in the background and it takes two to strike a deal. I know no more than anybody else but just taking a different view on the subject. I'm not saying this is a reason but JF and the club have had their fingers burned in the past by offering long contracts and then having to cough up big money when form dips. We also had the fiasco when the club announced a new contract to Slade when he was here the first time. Whoever was at fault it never happened and the club was left with " egg on its face " when Slade left to another club . I obviously support " The Black And White " but not everything in life is like that and that's how I see things. I maybe a cynic but at least it helps having to avoid the pain when things go " t*ts up "!

The point I'm making is, yeah, theoretically for all we know Fenty could have offered Jolley a longer fixed-term contract and Jolley might have turned it down because he wanted the flexibility to leave if a better offer came up. But being realistic, in his position when the contract was negotiated, not knowing if this thing will work out, could he take that risk? Unlikely.

It seems that you're suggesting this possibility because you're really supporting Fenty's position. As you've just done with the comment about the risk to the club of a longer commitment. True, it's all about balancing risks, and it seems the risk is swinging more in favour of Jolley so it's time to commit.

The other comment about the announcement of a new contract for Slade in 2006. Well, that's just digging up another (double) member-up on Fenty's watch isn't it. 1 - announcing a deal before it was done; 2 - not completing the deal with Slade, leading to the Cardiff fiasco. And maybe it'd been better not to leave that til the last minute. But it would have been best if you hadn't brought this subject up at all.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
rancido
February 3, 2019, 5:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The point I'm making is, yeah, theoretically for all we know Fenty could have offered Jolley a longer fixed-term contract and Jolley might have turned it down because he wanted the flexibility to leave if a better offer came up. But being realistic, in his position when the contract was negotiated, not knowing if this thing will work out, could he take that risk? Unlikely.

It seems that you're suggesting this possibility because you're really supporting Fenty's position. As you've just done with the comment about the risk to the club of a longer commitment. True, it's all about balancing risks, and it seems the risk is swinging more in favour of Jolley so it's time to commit.

The other comment about the announcement of a new contract for Slade in 2006. Well, that's just digging up another (double) member-up on Fenty's watch isn't it. 1 - announcing a deal before it was done; 2 - not completing the deal with Slade, leading to the Cardiff fiasco. And maybe it'd been better not to leave that til the last minute. But it would have been best if you hadn't brought this subject up at all.

I'm not supporting any position , certainly not JF's. Just pointing out some scenarios in the situation. Once again a poster thinks because I don't condemn JF then I must support him. Can't somebody just be neutral and point out both sides of the argument? But then again this is The Fishy and opinions must be polarised - no middle ground allowed here. As far as the Slade fiasco is concerned , it seems that you would rather blame JF than consider there was another side to the situation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 63
Abdul19
February 3, 2019, 6:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Son of Cod

Just checked and we finished that match 4 points ahead of Notts County in 23rd, but they were beating Morecambe at a point when Northampton were beating us so that would have been correct yeah. Finished the match 9 points ahead of Macc though, so we never went bottom.

It'll end up being one of those great myths: like how we were on fire just before Laws smacked Ivano, how failing with a red card appeal automatically adds another game and how Podge always scores against us

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Great Leap Forward

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.