rancido
February 3, 2019, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 3172[b
]M J seems to have found players who have now slotted into interchangable playing positions.
[/b]
Playing st ground level again and intelligent play from the back going forwards.

This all now makes sense of 3 5 2 with the right players showing good understanding of the system required.

Looking forward now to see how far the current squad can take it to the season end.

Many fans wanting to go and see the team play - nothing won yet except getting a "for now" feel good factor.

M J AND team look to be heading in the right direction !

That's the point I was trying to make earlier. Why pin Hall-Johnson down to the position of centre back when he can play that role, wing back, orthodox right back and attacking centre back in a back three. versatility is the key to success with a small squad.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
HertsGTFC
February 3, 2019, 8:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Rik e B
The way he doubled up with Hendrie was excellent, making us appear to have an extra man in some instances. A very useful and tricky for opposition option. Then when expecting more of a bombardment we have the likes of Whitmore for a more no-nonsense brutish defence.

All in all an excellent performance all round and thoroughly enjoyable. The greatest thing for me was to see the 3-5-2 and how it has clearly been worked on the training field actually coming up trumps after being vilified somewhat by sections (myself included) when attempted without having quite the right personell.

Also good to see Ring clearly not the duff signing some where quick to (and unfairly) consider he might be. A bit more fitness built up and he'll be true quality. Ohman is already a beast - slotted straight into the English game with Lever-esque defensive stalwartness but also an abilty to play the ball out a bit more too. Dennis pesky fox in the box - great news, once we have a target man option in time that would be an excellent array of striking options coupled with what we already have.

The re-emmergence of Cook seems like a fresh January signing too in a way! Very intelligent bustly player.

Our dominance on the RHS alongside Embleton, Woolford and Clifton pulling the strings behind the strikers was more than Newport could deal with.

I think all 3 goals where a good illustration of how MJ wants us to play.

Get the ball down pass it to someone running into space the rest will ultimately look after itself.

It’s a shame the 3rd was an OG as it would have been a great end to a really smart move.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
acko338
February 3, 2019, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
I think that Kristian Denniss could easily have 10 goals in a Town shirt by season end - good find as a poacher/striker !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
friskneymariner
February 3, 2019, 10:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Noticed in last couple of games,very few off-sides against us.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
bedders78
February 4, 2019, 9:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Still buzzing from the performance a couple of days later.  Seems daft to single players out from such a good, all round performance, but RHJ shaded man of the match for me - his judgement of when he was able to get up the pitch and join an attack was spot on and showed he has a considerable footballing brain to go with his more obvious physical attributes. I hope he can keep his place in the team even with Whitmore and Davis available, as the NC left back will be having nightmares about him and Hendrie for next few weeks.

Ring had a quietly effective game on the other flank, never seemed in trouble defensively and starting to offer more going forward. Can someone please show him how to take a throw in though!

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
jamesgtfc
February 4, 2019, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from bedders78
Still buzzing from the performance a couple of days later.  Seems daft to single players out from such a good, all round performance, but RHJ shaded man of the match for me - his judgement of when he was able to get up the pitch and join an attack was spot on and showed he has a considerable footballing brain to go with his more obvious physical attributes. I hope he can keep his place in the team even with Whitmore and Davis available, as the NC left back will be having nightmares about him and Hendrie for next few weeks.

Ring had a quietly effective game on the other flank, never seemed in trouble defensively and starting to offer more going forward. Can someone please show him how to take a throw in though!

Where is Mitch when you need him?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Jarmo.Is.God
February 4, 2019, 11:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Watched City v Arsenal, and they was saying how Fernandinho is a CB when they don't have possession, but quickly turns into a midfielder when they do.

I wonder if MJ is doing something similar with RHJ?

Also, big shout to Russel, stepped up when asked, professional, and done nothing wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
diehardmariner
February 4, 2019, 12:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Very pleasing and encouraging performance.

The meltdown about 3-5-2 seems to have stopped a bit and justifiably so too.  The system has balance to it now and with the right people in the right positions.  In my opinion the following are essential for the system moving forward.

• A centre-back who's willing to step-out with and without the ball. You don't need 3 central defenders when you're attacking so one of them has to step out and help crowd out the opposition.  RHJ not only did this on Saturday but he also went further on and allowed Hendrie to virtually play as an old fashioned outside right at times.
  • A left sided centre-back to give balance at the back.  Collins had a fine game on Saturday but it just gives you that balance.  I know he's had his critics but his experience is vital and will help Ring alongside him as he adjusts to the English game.
  • At least one proper footballer in the middle of the pitch.  Woolford is another who's had his critics but he was superb again in that central role.  He makes us play football on the deck and is far more intelligent than he gets credit for.  
  • Energy up top and getting in their faces..  Cook brings that in abundance and really sets the tone for everyone else.  Whenever we've played against him before, Pipe has proved an absolute nightmare and dominated us.  On Saturday he was rattled because of the pressure put on him.  

We've got to keep grounded.  We've had two good results and performances after a bad month, which followed an excellent month before that.  It's a work in progress but we're taking more steps forward than we are back.  It's still all geared up to next season, but if we can get a degree of consistency in our results there's no reason we can't pressure the play-off places which will be good for experience if nothing else.  
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.