TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 2, 2019, 6:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
Ladies and Gents, we have a football team. First time for a long time that we have a cohesive unit that looks strong in all departments and a strong looking bench now too. I'm not sure Newport were up for the fight and there seemed to be a bit of argey bargey at the end with their supporters and management?

Thought RHJ was a revelation in his centre back cum right wing role, and showed that 5-3-2 in not necessarily a defensive set up if you get it right. We are now starting to see what the Jolley plan is and we a have a 15 game warm up for next season coming up. We look very strong at the back and repelled every corner, cross and long throw they chucked at us. We look happy to sit and back await our chance to break up the pitch. Our midfield is working well now and today we got behind them on numerous occasion with overlaps. Jordan Cook was superb and deserved his MOM award. Can only see this team getting better as they play more together, and i think we will finish in the top half comfortably.

Agree with that Ginny, that is the first half of the plan sorted for 3-5-2. Now we need to get it worked on to make sure it does not become 8-0-2 away from home and we use possession well on the break. The squad looks strong and there are good alternatives to cover injury/suspension/form. Midfield looks better all the time especially with Clifton's runs forward. Even without the ball he creates danger with that. In the long run I think Öhman will be the key signing. With a good GK and CB you are halfway to a clean sheet.

As for Newport, much as I like Amond I thought they were lucky in the cup and they have had some horrible results in the league this season. Not as good as they think they are.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
jamesgtfc
February 2, 2019, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,939
Gold Stars: 190

Agree with that Ginny, that is the first half of the plan sorted for 3-5-2. Now we need to get it worked on to make sure it does not become 8-0-2 away from home and we use possession well on the break. The squad looks strong and there are good alternatives to cover injury/suspension/form. Midfield looks better all the time especially with Clifton's runs forward. Even without the ball he creates danger with that. In the long run I think Öhman will be the key signing. With a good GK and CB you are halfway to a clean sheet.

As for Newport, much as I like Amond I thought they were lucky in the cup and they have had some horrible results in the league this season. Not as good as they think they are.

Anyone notice a couple of his accurate dinks behind defence? Perfectly weighted.

Surprised he never came off as he signalled to come off as soon as that fantastic diving header was saved. Wasn't the same player after that either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
ginnywings
February 2, 2019, 6:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Anyone notice a couple of his accurate dinks behind defence? Perfectly weighted.

Surprised he never came off as he signalled to come off as soon as that fantastic diving header was saved. Wasn't the same player after that either.

He was signalling for a new boot, not to come off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
headingly_mariner
February 2, 2019, 6:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
Really enjoyed the game after the first ten minutes we were excellent. Some of the passing and movement was great, loved the way the players comfortably shifted positions and gave each other options.
We really have the beginnings of a team and it’s great that we expect a few of the players to be here long term. Need to tie Wes and Hess down.

A word for Jordan Cook who has struggled. He was excellent allround and deserved his goals.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
golfer
February 2, 2019, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 114
Well played TEAM. One of the first times we have played as a team. A few intricate moves showed what we have been doing in training.  Well done the officials as well  Newport weren't that bad but we showed them. Things are at last taking shape.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
quebec38
February 2, 2019, 7:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Good performance today and some good football played as well. RHJ drifting in and out of the back 3 was great, was like we had an extra player. Newport didn't look up for it at all today, particularly Labadie  who will usually boss the midfield. Only thing he bossed today was Hendrie's cheek when he elbowed him which the ref saw and blew the whistle then didn't issue a card... Ha oh you have to laugh. Contrary to the op I think Matt was actually alright. I do have a slight soft spot for him after Notts C last season though.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
TownSNAFU5
February 2, 2019, 7:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,831
Gold Stars: 42
Last home game Macclesfield, so massive improvement today.  Excellent team performance (or even squad performance).

We have as many points in Feb/Mar as we got last season, with a much better GD.

We should do very well next season.  

Great to listen to Radio Leeds on the way home as they try to explain away a 3-0 home thrashing by Norwich.  And lose top spot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Spatchcock
February 2, 2019, 7:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +32
Gold Stars: 10
Fantastic win today. Really enjoyed how we played the ball in midfield with the players over lapping. Newport found it hard to mark any of our players wh3n we did this and were literally ran ragged. Very impressed with Cook, covered so much ground and fully deserved his two goals. A very good performance with hopefully more to come UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
kamakazebear
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +457
Ohman's header was ridiculous. I might be remembering it wrong but I swear he was on the ground when he stuck his head through it with the force of a nuclear weapon. If it had been aimed a bit to the side, would have been in the back of the net. Nice to see Whitmore's header as well which was only kept out after a brilliant save.

Feels weird being able to be positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
denni266

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 131
Thought it was a good game won at a canter realy, Some nice control by our players , not the usuall first touch and chase it.  was bloody col up in the findus with the wind in our faces, hope it was better down on the pitch
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.