This thread currently has 15,480 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 6, 2019, 2:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
My abiding memory of that Barnsley game was Isaiah Rankin winding up the Barnsley fans after he scored.

He was actually on loan from Barnsley at the time (not allowed these days to play against your parent club). He never went back to Barnsley after that I don't think and signed for us until the end of the season.

Peter Handyside played for Barnsley that day too if I remember right.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
Paris Mariner
February 6, 2019, 4:06pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from Les Brechin
My abiding memory of that Barnsley game was Isaiah Rankin winding up the Barnsley fans after he scored.

He was actually on loan from Barnsley at the time (not allowed these days to play against your parent club). He never went back to Barnsley after that I don't think and signed for us until the end of the season.

Mine was all the Barnsley fans wanting to leave before halftime and not being allowed to.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 98
moosey_club
February 6, 2019, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Les Brechin

Gallimore played for Barnsley at one point..not sure Handyside did....think Gally missed a penalty in one game ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
Les Brechin
February 6, 2019, 9:09pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from moosey_club

Gallimore played for Barnsley at one point..not sure Handyside did....think Gally missed a penalty in one game ??

Gally missed a penalty in front of the Town fans at Oakwell. I think the game finished 0-0. Barnsley had Vodka Kick on their shirts that day which was quite apt for Gally.

Just had a quick Google and Handyside did play for Barnsley that day.

https://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-barnsley/45146

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
moosey_club
February 6, 2019, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Les Brechin

Gally missed a penalty in front of the Town fans at Oakwell. I think the game finished 0-0. Barnsley had Vodka Kick on their shirts that day which was quite apt for Gally.

Just had a quick Google and Handyside did play for Barnsley that day.

https://www.skysports.com/football/grimsby-vs-barnsley/45146

Ok smart @ss  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
RichMariner
February 6, 2019, 10:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,138
Gold Stars: 209
The penalty that Gally missed was won by... Isaiah Rankin!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
Maringer
February 7, 2019, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,408
Gold Stars: 184
I went to that Barnsley game (don't make it to too many away matches) and my abiding memory is the Town fans singing, "We love you Galli, we do" after the penalty miss when he'd been getting grief throughout the game before then! I think he may even have had a chuckle himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
Abdul19
February 7, 2019, 11:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
The tunnel was at the away end too  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
February 8, 2019, 3:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
I see the Telegraph picked up on this topic:
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....-call-former-2504472
The interesting thing for me, is that if you scroll down to the bottom below the main article, there is a " Comments " section. In the comments there is one long one " supposedly" from the man himself " Livo". In this day and age, you can never be sure that this comment is genuinely from him, but it reads very much as though it is from him, very touching about his time in Grimsby and well worth a read.
p.s. thought the easiest thing would be to copy and paste the comment from the article onto here. Like I said earlier, can never be sure it is really made by him.

4 days ago
stelivo
Thanks for all the comments in this article, it's good to be remembered after all this time. But then again we all had a brilliant time in that era, some top class players and top class lads. Will always have the best memories of our time at Grimsby particularly under Alan Buckley.  The only regret was that I never got the chance to thank the fans for the support I got through thick and thin. The supporters always backed us home and away when I returned to my home town Middlesbrough it was often said to me how good the support was at Grimsby. I was lucky enough to be part of a special time at the club and to meet some fantastic people in and around the club, the supporters and the players. Again Thanks for the brilliant comments and the brilliant memories.   It would have been an honour to have had a testimonial and the chance to say goodbye to all the supporters who had supported me for ten years with all the many friends I made and the top players I was fortunate to play with.

Thanks. Livo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Steve Livingstone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.