Bigdog
February 1, 2019, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

There was less than 3,000 for the first game of the season in Buckley's first season in 1988. Low gates are not a recent phenomenon and experienced by many administrations over the years. It's not exclusive to the " Fenty Years " !!!

Forever the apologist for shite attendances and performances on the pitch over the past twenty years. Always comparing them to other smaller snapshots in our history when we were at our lowest ebb as justification. What is exclusive to the Fenty years are the lowest ebb of attendances and finishing positions in the football pyramid for the longest sustained period. Fucksake, there were plenty of periods when our attendances and finishing positions were higher too, but it seems to be not the done thing to do to point that out. Where we are is not acceptable, home crowds, positions in the league and the average standard of entertainment. Point out another eighteen year period in our history that matches the Fenty years for home attendances and league finishing positions. Nope there isn't one. The drop in attendances during the Buckley years matched those of pretty much every team in that period and was not exclusive to us as a club, yet many of those teams have recovered to make massive increases since then. Let's all wallow about and justify being mediocre because we were mediocre for the odd season in the past and forget all of the reasons why we've arrived at this sustained mediocrity. Bores the arsse of me this "living on past glories accusation" mentality. So self-defeating..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 67
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2019, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,634
Gold Stars: 217
Zlatan ?

MJ says there is value in the Swedish market.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 67
Rik e B
February 1, 2019, 8:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
People can say we've never had great attendances but neither had Lincoln till recently. Who would have thought they'd be sold out with all, or close to all being Season tickets?

I would have thought our closet Town fans have always been far greater than Lincoln with the club deeply engrained in the psyche of the area what with our proud history. So, we must be of the opinion the potential IS there if things are done right. They are the yardstick of what can be achieved.

Our area might not be quite as affluent but it's a larger population and catchment area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 67
Mallyner
February 1, 2019, 8:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Why do you think those gates decreased year on year, do we have the price info for that period I.e. were people getting priced out of attending?

It has got cheaper since to buy a Man U shirt on ebay, watch a premier league game in a pub and call yourself a football supporter.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 67
buckstown
February 1, 2019, 8:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,119
Gold Stars: 77
Probably Angol based on earlier rumours. Lincoln fans seem to think he'll need two shirts, one for him and one for his ego
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 67
Grimal
February 1, 2019, 11:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete

So do I,  if its Moses he might be back in forty days ( or was it years )  

He won't be in a rush.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 67
MrFisherman
February 2, 2019, 1:25am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
I bet the missed deal was Matt Rhead
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 67
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2019, 4:07am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MrFisherman
I bet the missed deal was Matt Rhead

No that was a Meal Deal.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 67
monkeyboy
February 2, 2019, 7:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Attendances suffer also through cash, the town has a  low earning  population but the club want to charge premium prices. Its ok when the team are doing well and the part timers come out of the woodwork but when the chips are down they are nowhere to be seen.
The problem i find here is People know at the club the price doesn't match the wages in the area, they should know they made a fortune of the back of paying these people a minimum wage.
Im at work today in a fish factory from 4-30am to earn the money for the next home match because what i earn during the week only covers bills, i dont work today and the next game im sat listening to the radio.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 67
Northbank Mariner
February 2, 2019, 8:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Reading between the lines of what MJ said in his pre match interview it's someone who's gone on loan until the end of the season as he dies say it's 'something that could be revisited in the future'...would bother me though if the player chose another team over us this time that he would only come here if he got no other offers...if I were Jolley I'd park it and move on .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who is the " agonislingly Close" Nearly-

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.