This thread currently has 13,681 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 1, 2019, 5:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
I can remember a Tuesday night game towards the end of the first Buckley era in what is now The Championship. We played Port Vale and beat them 4-1 playing some great football. The crowd was something like 3200 odd. Not long after Buckley left for West Brom.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 67
rancido
February 1, 2019, 5:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm not saying the attendances will jump massively, but there was under 4 thousand there for the last home game, and we can get a couple of thousand onto that with better fare on offer. Over a season, that's a lot of extra dosh, but to get them back and keep them there takes better players, playing attractive football. The players bring the crowds and the crowds bring the players.

The cup run was a good start and brought in some much needed extra income. If we invest it wisely, we can start to look upward.

There was less than 3,000 for the first game of the season in Buckley's first season in 1988. Low gates are not a recent phenomenon and experienced by many administrations over the years. It's not exclusive to the " Fenty Years " !!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 67
OllieGTFC
February 1, 2019, 6:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
The was Darren Bent

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 67
LH
February 1, 2019, 6:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Who cares? He's not coming.

I’d like to not care and not know who we’ve missed out on - but I’d like to know what Jolley sees as ambitious and significant. It’d tell us a lot about where the club sees itself too.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 67
ginnywings
February 1, 2019, 6:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from rancido

There was less than 3,000 for the first game of the season in Buckley's first season in 1988. Low gates are not a recent phenomenon and experienced by many administrations over the years. It's not exclusive to the " Fenty Years " !!!

Never said they were exclusive to the Fenty years. I'm well aware of the fluctuating attendances, having been one of those at the game you mention.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 67
rancido
February 1, 2019, 6:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ginnywings

Never said they were exclusive to the Fenty years. I'm well aware of the fluctuating attendances, having been one of those at the game you mention.

I replied to your post but it wasn't specifically aimed at you, just to point out that many years ago we still had an indifferent fan base. You will remember some of those hard times but a lot of the younger Mariner fans think it wasn't like that then.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 67
grimsby pete
February 1, 2019, 6:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
When we were in non league I thought our gates stood up well even more so when you think who we were playing and only having 20 or 30 odd away fans in the Osmond.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 67
Madeleymariner
February 1, 2019, 6:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from ginnywings
Glad to hear that the board are "ambitious" and came together to back the manager. Keep saying it- speculate to accumulate. If we can get a good attacking team down at BP and get the buzz back, the fans will respond in numbers. I know loads who have stopped going because they got bored of the stuff on offer, and most of them would be back if they think there's something worth paying for.

Did the board speculate, we offloaded more players than we brought in (and I dont count Robles in that) and they may be better quality but does not mean the board gave any transfer or cup money to the wage budget, above the preseason agreement, Jolly wasn't going to say the board didn't support me is he.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 67
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2019, 7:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Did the board speculate, we offloaded more players than we brought in (and I dont count Robles in that) and they may be better quality but does not mean the board gave any transfer or cup money to the wage budget, above the preseason agreement, Jolly wasn't going to say the board didn't support me is he.

But to be fair he didn't have to praise the board either if they haven't backed him in the transfer market.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 67
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2019, 7:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
When we were in non league I thought our gates stood up well even more so when you think who we were playing and only having 20 or 30 odd away fans in the Osmond.

Exactly right Pete. That is what I said about human nature. People are not just attracted by good football, they like the idea that their team is likely to win.

I know we all say the right things about rather have a good game and lose than a crap game and win but by and large we want points. We want to climb the division we are in. That’s why we got bigger crowds on the way up the leagues in the 1970s and 1990s than we did in the championship even allowing for the bigger clubs in there. We are not unique in that respect.

I think Dennis could be a good signing. I am happy the board appears to be backing the manager in ambition. I appreciate Jolley is an advocate of the sort of football I like.  But I will be happier still once we get some hard evidence of progress, some goals and some points and move up the table.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › who is the " agonislingly Close" Nearly-

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.