4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
January 30, 2019, 5:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
Jolley’s cleared some out and freed up their wages. With him being a shrewd businessman I’m sure he’s trying to find that perfect fit but wont panick buy unlike some previous managers. A good place to be in. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 30, 2019, 5:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, but we did play three of the best teams in the division, and a Premier league side with only 10 men. Then had a bad day at the office against a resurgent Macclesfield, all the while with a depleted squad due to injuries and suspensions. We also had a bad trot earlier in the season, but picked up and started scoring and winning with the players we have now. Not saying we don't need attacking reinforcements, because we do, but if they don't arrive just yet, i think we'll be ok.

Your confidence does you credit.

Do you get a fee for being spiritual adviser to Fishy depressives?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
ginnywings
January 30, 2019, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,107
Gold Stars: 548
He's said more than once that he has to free up some budget to bring in what he wants, and he knows where we need strengthening. One part of that equation is now complete, so i expect the second part to happen today or tomorrow, otherwise as Bigdog says, it's a risky strategy, reliant on what we do have staying fit and firing.

Last season showed just how quickly it can all go t1ts up, and you would think we would have learned our lesson from that. However, this is GTFC and we may end up winging it again. I do think we have better players than last season though, but that only counts if they are on the pitch together. We are not crammed with loan players either like we were last season, so we have a nucleus of players with a vested interest in the club.

Looking at it realistically, 4 or 5 more wins would see us safe in most seasons, and i think we are more than capable of achieving that from the remaining games with what we have. I just can't see us not adding to the squad before the window shuts, given how many have departed from what was not a massive squad to start with. We must have deals lined up i would have thought, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
ginnywings
January 30, 2019, 5:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic

I have confidence in Jolley. Maybe it's misplaced, but he seems to know what he is doing and exudes confidence himself. He got a right rabble of misfits winning games last season, with much less time and planning than he has now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2019, 5:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

So I'm not the only one to spot his guru-like qualities.

Might explain the 'ommmmmmmm!' sound coming from the Main Stand.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
ginnywings
January 30, 2019, 5:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So I'm not the only one to spot his guru-like qualities.

Might explain the 'ommmmmmmm!' sound coming from the Main Stand.

Not a Main Stander just yet. Still have my own hair and teeth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2019, 6:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Not a Main Stander just yet. Still have my own hair and teeth.

Touchy lot in the Main Stand. Someone red-crossed you for suggesting they're over the hill.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
jamesgtfc
January 30, 2019, 6:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,954
Gold Stars: 190
We can still pick up some free agents after tomorrow. Andrew Fox didn't join until March last year. There may be a few players terminating contracts tomorrow who would then be available anyway.

Whoever comes in needs to be the right character and improve the squad. I'm sure he's got a few lined up and it all hinges on deals elsewhere. I expect 2 players to join before the transfer window slams shut
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
ginnywings
January 30, 2019, 6:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Touchy lot in the Main Stand. Someone red-crossed you for suggesting they're over the hill.

Easily offended, old folk. Mind you, it's the big 6-0 for me in August, just in time for the new season, so i should accept my fate, and join the Werthers posse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
jimgtfc
January 30, 2019, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
There’s plenty of movement of strikers in the leagues above like Scott Hogan going to Sheffield United and Leon Clarke leaving to go to Wigan in the Championship, League one Walsall have loaned a QPR striker and Rochdale have got Rekeil Pike who was on loan at Wrexham. It’s likely that deals trigger other deals in a housing chain sort of way. Sadly we’re bottom of the food chain and may have to wait until the last minute tomorrow to get anyone if at all.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ins and outs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.