TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 30, 2019, 3:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
I doubt we'll be too busy. 3 defenders out but 3 in already. Robles didn't kick a ball for us. Pringle effectively replaced Hooper so that's just one down. Welsh can step up in the pecking order now Rose has gone.

MJ will have his list of targets but if he can't get them by tomorrow I'd prefer him to wait and have another go in summer rather than sign others now just to pad the squad.

I would agree but I just cannot get past that nasty little statistic - one solitary goal in 450 minutes. Surely something has to be done about that even on a temporary basis.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
MuddyWaters
January 30, 2019, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Plus Hendrie signed permanent deal

He was already here!
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
marinerrick
January 30, 2019, 3:52pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
If we have let 7 go and only brought in 3 or 4.assuming we don't bring anymore in. That should save us 3 or 4 wages until summer. This should allow us a bit more cash to tempt better players that what may be available in this window. I'd rather save that and use it to better the team for serious push next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
VinnyGTFC
January 30, 2019, 4:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
We are in a rut where fans out of boredom want to see a rash of signings. Realistically we are unlikely to go up or down and signings in January are only usually a stop gap. A couple of strong signings and then regroup in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
MuddyWaters
January 30, 2019, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
We are in a rut where fans out of boredom want to see a rash of signings. Realistically we are unlikely to go up or down and signings in January are only usually a stop gap. A couple of strong signings and then regroup in the summer.

I don't want to see a rash of signings but I do see that there's still an opportunity for us to get near the play-offs given that we've played most of the top teams twice. A couple of quality signings would benefit us and I'm sure the club want attendances to go up rather than drift away as they would if we played for mid-table obscurity.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
RoboCod
January 30, 2019, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Scunny say Charlie Goode turned us down...a defender?? Any gaps left for such a thing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Brazilnut
January 30, 2019, 5:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
You have to remember this is MJ's first English job in charge .... balancing budgets etc .......he is showing he is learning ....but it is a learning curve.....give him space xx

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
Davec
January 30, 2019, 5:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Regarding Charlie Goode,
we do not know when Charlie turned us down, just because it has been mentioned today doesn't mean it was today, how do we know it wasn't a couple of weeks ago and we signed Grayson when Goode turned us down?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
ginnywings
January 30, 2019, 5:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,112
Gold Stars: 548

I would agree but I just cannot get past that nasty little statistic - one solitary goal in 450 minutes. Surely something has to be done about that even on a temporary basis.

Yeah, but we did play three of the best teams in the division, and a Premier league side with only 10 men. Then had a bad day at the office against a resurgent Macclesfield, all the while with a depleted squad due to injuries and suspensions. We also had a bad trot earlier in the season, but picked up and started scoring and winning with the players we have now. Not saying we don't need attacking reinforcements, because we do, but if they don't arrive just yet, i think we'll be ok.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Bigdog
January 30, 2019, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from marinerrick
If we have let 7 go and only brought in 3 or 4.assuming we don't bring anymore in. That should save us 3 or 4 wages until summer. This should allow us a bit more cash to tempt better players that what may be available in this window. I'd rather save that and use it to better the team for serious push next year.

Tend to agree with this. But, let's say the club has a pretty standard injury list of three for a good run of games in the near future, which could happen, and those three are Embleton, Clifton and Thomas, any starting line up would look decidedly weak and we could start looking over our shoulders pretty quickly. The other thing to consider is that saving budget would only provide a war chest for one season before reverting back the following season. This would mean that we would only be a position to offer one year contracts or else we would be instantly overspending the season after or slashing the number of players back to the current level. Very difficult balancing act, not without risks. Will be highly surprised if we didn't get at least a midfielder in on loan tomorrow..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ins and outs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.