Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Starting to Worry..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 287 Guests

Starting to Worry..

This thread currently has 6,389 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
January 29, 2019, 4:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Is anyone else starting to worry the longer it goes on the longer we are not going to get this striker we all know we need or it’s going to be a panic buy on deadline day?

29 days about to pass of the 31 and still no striker in the door, are we getting turned down or is M.J holding out for that one player.

I worry if Thomas was to unfortunately get injured where the goals would come from for us with the current squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Davec
January 29, 2019, 4:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
The Q&A could be interesting if the search for a striker goes on until then...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Tommy
January 29, 2019, 4:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
No, not really.

I'd imagine a massive percentage of deals in January are done on deadline day?

Signing someone last minute in the transfer window doesn't make it a panic buy, it's just how the January transfer window works generally.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
January 29, 2019, 4:38pm
Guest User
I would imagine that JFs short arms and long pockets have a lot to do with it!! Probably another uninspiring Deadline Day......
Reply: 3 - 28
marinerjase
January 29, 2019, 4:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Need to create more opportunities for said striker/s. Take Embleton out and not much creativity there, and he’s not our player. So striker needed but more needed also, for next season.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
sonofmadeleymariner
January 29, 2019, 4:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Its not often you will get a decent striker in January without a big money deal. Even if a club is willing to let one go they will make the buying club wati till they can find a replacement. I'm not worried though. We've got enough about this squad to stay up and finish around midtable.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
ginnywings
January 29, 2019, 4:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Players are weighing up their options, and the worry will be on some of them that they have not yet secured the deal they thought and start to lower their sights a little. I suspect it's a bit like a game of poker at times, and maybe we have made offers, and are sitting back to see what develops as the deadline draws ever closer. I suspect we will lose some we thought we could get and win some we maybe though we couldn't. As managers always say, all the dots have to line up and until the signature is on the contract, it's all up in the air.

I never worry about players coming in or going out myself. If a player wants to come and we meet his demands, then fine. Similarly, if we lose good players to other clubs, which happens from time to time, then so be it. I'm only bothered about the players we have right now, not who me might get or might lose. Let the management worry about that, and i think we'll be fine even if we don't manage to sign anyone in this window. We are not likely to go up or down this season, so maybe it's better to wait until the right players become available, even if that is the next window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
devs
January 29, 2019, 4:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
No way will Jolley panic buy - not that sort of manager
Not much around to suit our budget and any club that has a striker in form will either keep him or put a silly price on his head which means will will not be able to compete

We have more than enough to get by this season and the summer always offers up better value although if the right striker comes along - possibly PL youngster or Championship/L1 squad player - I'm sure MJ will pounce

Don't panic about panic buys...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
H19P1
January 29, 2019, 5:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Marinerz93
January 29, 2019, 5:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The important question is are we going to get that hairs on the back of the neck signing or did that waft off in to the blue yonder with the other hot air Fenty spouted.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Starting to Worry..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.