HertsGTFC
January 27, 2019, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
You right Herts. I’ve reffed to a decent level and I like to think I know the game pretty well. The amount of young lads who get pushed through the levels far too fast is alarming. The trouble is the need for decent officials is so great the FAs have to do this. The result is you get refs who have no life or playing experience in charge of games they don’t know enough about.
There are many many great refs out there at all levels, sadly you do t notice them, you only notice the ones who are not so great.

Do these youngsters coming up get trained how to do with "influencing" from managers and players? I'm sure they are easily got at.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Bigdog
January 27, 2019, 10:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Seen worse than the referee yesterday. He probably got the big call of the game correct as their forward would have got a shot off before Grayson could cover. Most refs would have copped out and given a yellow and used an arriving just a little too late Grayson as an excuse to not give a red. We'd think red if it was at the other end. Thought we were very lucky to get away with not conceding a pen second half too, many refs would give that one, so in effect his total contribution to us on the day was a positive two points minus losing Davis for a game.

We've had a spell of red cards this season and to be honest I can't really think of one that we could complain about and if Whitmore had made any contact with that lunge second half we'd have had one more too. As a team we're probably not nasty enough but we've also got a composure and decision making problem that needs fixing.

Not saying refs are great and it doesn't help that they're so over-protected from criticism. Maybe a bit more honesty and transparency by publishing the ref's report for every game may calm fan's frustrations down if it can be openly shown that poor refereeing performances aren't being swept under the carpet. More ex-players refereeing would be an improvement as it seems like there's far too many referees who haven't played the game and the letter of the law is used far too often without applying any balance or common sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
bawarmy
January 27, 2019, 11:03am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,005
Gold Stars: 32
They say these things tend to even themselves out in football. If this is true we will get a dubious penalty in each one of our remaining games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Mighty_Mariner
January 27, 2019, 3:08pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from bawarmy
They say these things tend to even themselves out in football. If this is true we will get a dubious penalty in each one of our remaining games

We have also benefited from poor officiating in recent times too.. Cardwell's penalty at Swindon, Thomas' hand of god goal just to name a couple so I do think over the course of a season or a year they do kind of even out... At least there or there abouts.

IMO of course.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
RichMariner
January 27, 2019, 3:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
As a manager I think you're allowed to say, in your opinion, that the referee had a bad game and got certain decisions wrong. They're not immune from criticism.

The one thing you can't say, or suggest, is that they're biased, or that they made a decision to balance another one out. You can't question their integrity. That's when you can get into hot water.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Kris2
January 27, 2019, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
I don't think the ref was better or worse than usual. Sometimes we get more decisions and sometimes we don't. The red was stonewall, if you think we are hard done by over a rugby tackle then you need your head checked. It'd be hard on them if it wasn't given or only a yellow when the player was through on goal. The only luck we got is it was done outside the box.

If one of theirs got sent off for the same thing nobody here would be whinging about the ref.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
January 27, 2019, 4:38pm
Guest User
The problem I have is they are not consistent through the match or from one game to another.
Reply: 16 - 22
1mickylyons
January 28, 2019, 7:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
High time Referee`s have to face the media straight after games like Manager`s and players who get consistantly fined for any criticsm even when justified. If the Refereee makes a mistake no matter how bad it`s simply an error and he should come out and explain why he gave his decision. The Fox red card being a case in point and the most aggravating I have seen due to the ref giving a yellow VAR is supposed to be brought in ONLY if the ref has made a clear and obvious mistake so someone sat in a studio over rules him and in effect ends the game after 2 mins of the 90. The Mckeown red not much better in my view it was a 50/50 ball and he was late by a fraction where he was on the pitch 9/10 he would have got a yellow.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Codswede
January 28, 2019, 9:36am

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
The free kick near the corner flag that their captain won off Hessenthaler was embarrassing for all involved. In the ref's defence I think the Linesman gave that one.

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
Chrisblor
January 28, 2019, 10:49am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Bigdog
Seen worse than the referee yesterday. He probably got the big call of the game correct as their forward would have got a shot off before Grayson could cover. Most refs would have copped out and given a yellow and used an arriving just a little too late Grayson as an excuse to not give a red. We'd think red if it was at the other end. Thought we were very lucky to get away with not conceding a pen second half too, many refs would give that one, so in effect his total contribution to us on the day was a positive two points minus losing Davis for a game.

We've had a spell of red cards this season and to be honest I can't really think of one that we could complain about and if Whitmore had made any contact with that lunge second half we'd have had one more too. As a team we're probably not nasty enough but we've also got a composure and decision making problem that needs fixing.

Not saying refs are great and it doesn't help that they're so over-protected from criticism. Maybe a bit more honesty and transparency by publishing the ref's report for every game may calm fan's frustrations down if it can be openly shown that poor refereeing performances aren't being swept under the carpet. More ex-players refereeing would be an improvement as it seems like there's far too many referees who haven't played the game and the letter of the law is used far too often without applying any balance or common sense.

I'm still fuming over Thomas getting sent off at Newport for the egregious crime of having his foot headbutted by a Newport player coming from behind him while trying to control a knee high ball.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Officials

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.