7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
January 26, 2019, 4:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Kris2

It's a very popular idea with a small number of fans, most of which probably live in that area and think it's full of good,honest Grimbarians and not people selling stolen ham joints so they can buy smack. The other people who want it are old people who have a whole bunch of nostalgia for the glory days of Freeman Street and the Docks. The reality is the area has always been pretty rough and not really the best foot forward to sell the town as a viable commercial area to draw new business and growth.

A shithole with a football stadium in it is still a shithole and it won't suddenly make the council spend money it doesn't have to rebuild the entire area. How many newly developed football stadiums do you go to and sing "This place is a shithole"? That's because it's true right? A new stadium doesn't fix a run down shithole.

You all only want it because of your old rose tinted memories or because it's near where you live. "It'll be near the DOCKS and the DOCK TOWER will be overlooking the ground! It's be the perfect symbol of what being from Grimsby is all about and inspire the team!". I bet that's exactly what you're all thinking  .

Not going to even slag that post off because the awful reality is Kris is right dreams are all we have got very few people with money or vision in this town sad but true..

Not easy to move away like most sensible people do when you live in one of the most deprived places in the country.

Wheres that bottle?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
monkeyboy
January 26, 2019, 5:31am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
So if the council own the new stadium and the club rent it who picks up the funds for the sale of Blundell Park?
Surely thats got to be worth a few groats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
H19P1
January 26, 2019, 6:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from monkeyboy
So if the council own the new stadium and the club rent it who picks up the funds for the sale of Blundell Park?
Surely thats got to be worth a few groats.

Those dingo dollars will go towards paying his lordship off surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
Vance Warner
January 26, 2019, 7:45am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Kris2

It's a very popular idea with a small number of fans, most of which probably live in that area and think it's full of good,honest Grimbarians and not people selling stolen ham joints so they can buy smack. The other people who want it are old people who have a whole bunch of nostalgia for the glory days of Freeman Street and the Docks. The reality is the area has always been pretty rough and not really the best foot forward to sell the town as a viable commercial area to draw new business and growth.

A shithole with a football stadium in it is still a shithole and it won't suddenly make the council spend money it doesn't have to rebuild the entire area. How many newly developed football stadiums do you go to and sing "This place is a shithole"? That's because it's true right? A new stadium doesn't fix a run down shithole.

You all only want it because of your old rose tinted memories or because it's near where you live. "It'll be near the DOCKS and the DOCK TOWER will be overlooking the ground! It's be the perfect symbol of what being from Grimsby is all about and inspire the team!". I bet that's exactly what you're all thinking  .

Regeneration of post industrial towns and cities has been working for decades now It’s one of the reasons we’ve been left behind so much.
Hull and Lincoln are two obvious examples locally. The ground would have a multiplier effect on the area and would be the most positive thing to happen in the town in my lifetime. I understand the skepticism from people who’ve been let down so many times before but we need to start looking forward at  reasons to do things rather than reasons not to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 26, 2019, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from H19P1

Those dingo dollars will go towards paying his lordship off surely?

Don't you mean hopefully?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
barralad
January 26, 2019, 11:21am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

So sarcasm is lost on you, it's not about different views, it's about the fact that PP is JSFs foible and if you look at it realisticly it's a bloody terrible option.  Logistically it'd be a nightmare of the highest order and only because of the so called "enabling project",which if translated means "the only way I could make money" he would probably of never considered it .
I will always maintain we lost our greatest chance of relocating when we lost great coates but given the chance as a die hard grimbarian, to sit and look over to the dock tower as the players enter the pitch we would fill me with enough pride to split me open ...

I think mine and your understanding of the phrase "enabling project" are streets apart (no pun intended). The enabling project was surely to provide the money outside of grants and individual investment to get the thing built in the first place? The council were going to provide the land at P.P. As I understand it a fair few of the big new stadia of the late 90s early 00s were enabled by the retail developments that grew up around them. Our much talked about dilemma is that retail parks etc are dead in the water in the late second decade of the 21st. century.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
barralad
January 26, 2019, 11:27am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Kris2

As I understand it the council hope that a football stadium will be the centre piece for a massive regeneration which will then attract in other businesses which they actually DO have the money to fund at least in part through various grants. The key as always will be to attract inward investment to supplement the public sector money.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
barralad
January 26, 2019, 11:36am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Not going to even slag that post off because the awful reality is Kris is right dreams are all we have got very few people with money or vision in this town sad but true..

Not easy to move away like most sensible people do when you live in one of the most deprived places in the country.

Wheres that bottle?

Nil desperandum. I'll wager a lot of the firms who invest in other areas have no connection with that area but the key will be whether they think it represents a good chance to make some money. Firms like the off-shore wind firms already see the business opportunities. 50/60 years ago firms came to the Humber Bank...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
rancido
January 26, 2019, 12:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Oh c''mon, to get to that spot would awful, it'd be jammed all ends up..Werlsby Road, Victoria street, Scartho Road, Toll Bar, all areas that lock out now without the influx of 2000 plus extra vehicles on a match day...
At least with Freemo you could quite easily put a park n ride on Pyewipe and have a park n ride into the ground, plus it would give some use to the estate.

...and of course it's so much easier to access Freeman Street! It's very narrow at the Riby Square end and the other access is from the Hainton Avenue end. The only other way is from Albion Street or Victor Street and they are very restricted. All the reasons you have pointed out for access to PP would apply even more so for Freemo. At least the traffic to the PP would be split between all the roads you mentioned and not just the inadequate access that exists for Freemo.

You mention a Park and Ride but how would that be financially viable for just 23 occasions a year? I doubt there would be much call for it at other times as it's not as if thousands of people are flocking to Freeman Street for the " shopping experience". Even if the regeneration of the East Marsh area includes some retail units I can't see that they would justify a Park and Ride scheme

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
rancido
January 26, 2019, 12:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Vance Warner

Regeneration of post industrial towns and cities has been working for decades now It’s one of the reasons we’ve been left behind so much.
Hull and Lincoln are two obvious examples locally. The ground would have a multiplier effect on the area and would be the most positive thing to happen in the town in my lifetime. I understand the skepticism from people who’ve been let down so many times before but we need to start looking forward at  reasons to do things rather than reasons not to.

Totally agree and the fault for this lies at the door of successive councils of all political persuasions.  Instead of coming up with long term plans for the good of the town , they have all done piecemeal vanity projects without a clear long term strategy. The side streets off Freeman street are a prime example. When all the old houses were cleared in the late 60's , they should have all been replaced with modern houses in the same area. Instead we have ended up with some housing, some light industrial units and various other establishments. A lot of people moved out to the suburbs but still having to come into town for employment hence our present traffic problems.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freemo/New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.