7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 25, 2019, 10:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I walked past the site of the old flats yesterday and having not been that way in a while looked to see if I thought the ground would fit given the comments saying not possible. As you come past Strand St school towards Oxford St you have site 1 then opposite the now boarded up Mariners Rest site 2. Site 2 looked to me from ground level easily big enough to accomodate the current Blundell Park for example leaving site 1 for carparks etc. This is a fairly huge vacant area and if the stadium doesn`t go there you would have to wonder what else could that would help to regenerate that area? It`s just so rundown around there boarded up/ defunct pubs Albion,Humber,Mariner`s virtually no shops left but still quite a lot of residents many of whom traditionally have been the core support of the football club. A new build in that area will reinvigorate the pubs,shops ,public transport and to a degree the residents who would see improvements to bring the area upto scratch.

Is the Freeman St/Flats site the ONLY chance for GTFC to see a new stadium actually delivered with Council support ?
Is it completely wrong and unsuitable and if so why?
Is the whole thing just a pipe dream that will never happen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
gytone
January 25, 2019, 10:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,019
Gold Stars: 7
Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen mate 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
1mickylyons
January 25, 2019, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from gytone
Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen mate 🤔

Do you think it would fit though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
gytone
January 25, 2019, 10:15am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,019
Gold Stars: 7
Yeah I think it'd fit , given a bit of manoeuvring, and i think it'd be a great idea and would possibly regenerate a run down area, but it doesn't seem to be in our leaders plans, although it could be understandable in some ways, if our council are involved in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
barralad
January 25, 2019, 1:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Do you think it would fit though?

I must admit I hadn't looked at it as two separate sites. I had an idea in my head that it was all one big area but looking at it the difficulty for me would be the little rows of maisonettes that seem to be all over that area which there is no intention to remove (not that I'm suggesting there should be).
I've come round to the idea that Freemo should be the site but it would be good to see some actual artists impression of the fit.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
rancido
January 25, 2019, 1:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I walked past the site of the old flats yesterday and having not been that way in a while looked to see if I thought the ground would fit given the comments saying not possible. As you come past Strand St school towards Oxford St you have site 1 then opposite the now boarded up Mariners Rest site 2. Site 2 looked to me from ground level easily big enough to accomodate the current Blundell Park for example leaving site 1 for carparks etc. This is a fairly huge vacant area and if the stadium doesn`t go there you would have to wonder what else could that would help to regenerate that area? It`s just so rundown around there boarded up/ defunct pubs Albion,Humber,Mariner`s virtually no shops left but still quite a lot of residents many of whom traditionally have been the core support of the football club. A new build in that area will reinvigorate the pubs,shops ,public transport and to a degree the residents who would see improvements to bring the area upto scratch.

Is the Freeman St/Flats site the ONLY chance for GTFC to see a new stadium actually delivered with Council support ?
Is it completely wrong and unsuitable and if so why?
Is the whole thing just a pipe dream that will never happen?

There is already existing car parking off Freeman Street that wouldn't be affected by the development. You also have a car park on Orwell Street which is only a five minute walk from where the ground would go. There are certainly a lot more facilities for parking there within a five minute walk than anywhere near BP.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
bigdavemariner
January 25, 2019, 1:10pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
I work in the office opposite and there's loads of work taking place at the minute.
The flat sites have been flattened and one part of it has already been converted into a car park.
The old white knight, house of holland block of shops and freeman house is about to be knocked down over the next 12 weeks so that will free up further space.

Be interesting to see how it all develops over the next 6-12 months.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
barralad
January 25, 2019, 1:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from rancido

There is already existing car parking off Freeman Street that wouldn't be affected by the development. You also have a car park on Orwell Street which is only a five minute walk from where the ground would go. There are certainly a lot more facilities for parking there within a five minute walk than anywhere near BP.

I think this is a good point. I would also imagine some of the businesses opening up their yards to match day parking. Libera's on Railway St open up for workers parking anyway during the week.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
rancido
January 25, 2019, 1:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad

I think this is a good point. I would also imagine some of the businesses opening up their yards to match day parking. Libera's on Railway St open up for workers parking anyway during the week.

The car parks I mentioned are also council owned, so a bit of a boost in car parking income for the council. Also the rates are cheaper than most club ground parking at other places.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
denni266
January 25, 2019, 1:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
I would love it to go where the old flats where . but i dont think our so called board want it there,, IMO, the club would win out but the board would not gain financially by it so its a dead duck untill they are removed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Freemo/New Stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.