3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
January 22, 2019, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Well.. we looked at our best when we played Tranmere on the front foot, then had a month of digging in games and nabbing results when Jolley decided that we are best as a counter attacking team which defends deep. December didn't fool me, our performances were way off the standard and the results overshadowed that. Now we're a 3-5-2 that defends deep and tries to counter. For counter attacking you need pace. For 3-5-2 you need pacy athletic wing backs and generally play more of a pressing game to avoid being pushed into playing five at the back. So MJ isn't picking pace on the flanks and we haven't got pace up front, so why are we playing this way with the sides he is picking? Why have we dropped playing our defence higher up and pressing with the midfield? Why have we dropped Whitmore who is our best front foot smothering defender? Why does MJ think Ring can play wing back when he's barely quicker than Pringle? Why isn't Ahkeem playing up front instead of Cardwell (who I've lost patience with)? Why does Clifton come on cold after an injury rather than starting, because it's far more likely to pull a hamstring after sitting on the bench for 70 mins than after a pre-match warm up? Why do we look so clueless with the ball? Why do we seem so static in our movement and it looks like we're trying to play from a textbook? Why do we overplay in wide areas instead of slinging crosses in and see what happens? These aren't questions I'd ask of the players, these are questions that I lay directly at the feet of the manager himself.

I'm not averse to 3-5-2 at all, FGR used that formation very effectively tonight because they had players drilled into the system correctly and each player had the right attributes for every position. We don't.

Russell - No chance with the goals tonight
Hendrie - Shocking distribution, lack of penetration going forward, defended ok
Davis - Did ok but the defending for the goals was shocking, not tight enough
Ohman - Won his headers but the defending was shocking for the goals and should have conceded a penalty when his mistimed challenge was in the box, let players run off him
Grayson - Hardly noticed him and looks more like a wing back than a centre half to me
Ring - Easily beaten for pace, shocking distribution, no penetration going forward
Rose and Hessenthaler - Both worked their nuts off for a lost cause but let down by constantly passing sidewards, maybe due to lack of movement in front, but still didn't drive us forward
Vernam - Played in the wrong position, much better suited as one in a partnership of two behind Thomas instead of playing two in front of him, looked lost but hardly helped with any service to feet, we sort of played a 3-4-1-2 rather than a strict 3-5-2 tonight
Cardwell - Not up to it I'm afraid, poor service or not, very slow to react
Thomas - Showed glimpses of quality but looked disinterested at times and who could blame him with the service he received

Clifton - Man of the match for us and he only played twenty minutes, probably helped by FGR taking their foot off the gas, but still showed more in that time than everyone else who played 90 minutes
Woolford - Meh
Rose - Had no chance with how we were playing

Totally disjointed, still poor in wide areas and little or no threat going forward (not solely the forwards' faults) not aided by playing an ineffective formation for the players selected, but I'm not buying that it's either the sole reason or the prime reason that we played so badly. If you look at the players we had available tonight that I think are decent League Two players, I could count twelve, yet Jolley couldn't get a tune out of them and out of that twelve four were on the subs bench. Still not convinced we're putting our best players on the pitch and still not convinced with what Jolley's trying to do. Not buying that the players lacked effort like some claim, just looked like a bunch of hardworking headless chickens without an ounce of confidence or a shred of an idea what they were doing.

I'm more worried about what goes on in the brain of MJ than the ability in the squad, well at least the best dozen or so players anyway. Just not sure MJ knows how to get the best out of them other than backs to the wall victories when we ride our luck and it seems to me that us fans and quite possibly the players are the victims of a coaching experiment at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
January 22, 2019, 10:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
BigDog, you are absolutely on the money...just hope that MJ and Limbrick aren't too blind or pig headed to see what's wrong...none of us have our FIFA pro licence yet 98%of us can see EXACTLY what's wrong....we just haven't got a squad suited to 3-5-2...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
sydney
January 22, 2019, 10:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
RichMariner
January 22, 2019, 10:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Obviously there's a lot to dissect after a result like tonight's - and a fifth straight defeat without scoring - but I'm not going to get overly negative just yet.

However, one thing I will say is that it's now late January and I'm still not entirely sure what the grand plan is. Jolley has had the best part of a year in charge of us. Granted, the end of last season was a salvage job and he did really well.

After a shaky start to the season, in which we lost six on the trot, we hit on a formula that peaked with that 5-2 win over Tranmere. For a while, we were naming the same starting XI and things really started to settle down.

Now it's all up in the air again. We've made a few signings, we've released a couple of players, the squad has shifted around a bit, the formation has changed, the tactics and philosophy has been tweaked and it now feels like we're back at square one again.

Things were going well and players seemed to understand what was required of them in the roles they were playing.

Admittedly, injuries and suspensions at the back meant we couldn't continue to play the same XI, but once we got Davis and Whitmore back I expected them to start with Hendrie and left back, RHJ at right back with everyone else playing where you'd expect them to play - you know, Clifton, Hess and Embleton in the middle, Vernam and Pringle wide, Thomas through the middle.

Clearly MJ wanted to sign the two Swedish players and they may come good, but I question the wisdom of throwing them straight in when we could in the short term keep doing what we were doing in December, accumulate 50 points and then begin integrating the new signings with a view to next season.

I accept that four of the five games we've lost were against tough opposition (and Macclesfield's form is better than their league position suggests) but I'm just feeling a bit confused tonight.

Upset for the fans who made the game. Upset with the result. Upset with the way things have gone backwards in order to accommodate new signings that clearly aren't in tune with the rest of the players.

I'm hoping that in a month or two things will become clearer. But right now it feels like we had something good going and we've torn it up and started again.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
chipsandgravy
January 22, 2019, 10:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from 139847
The crux of the matter is, Fenty plays God, his managers are expected to do as they are told, and I Jolley is doing that so far, the only manager who didn't do as fenty demanded was Hurst.

What a load of bollox!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
1mickylyons
January 23, 2019, 7:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bigdog
Well.. we looked at our best when we played Tranmere on the front foot, then had a month of digging in games and nabbing results when Jolley decided that we are best as a counter attacking team which defends deep. December didn't fool me, our performances were way off the standard and the results overshadowed that. Now we're a 3-5-2 that defends deep and tries to counter. For counter attacking you need pace. For 3-5-2 you need pacy athletic wing backs and generally play more of a pressing game to avoid being pushed into playing five at the back. So MJ isn't picking pace on the flanks and we haven't got pace up front, so why are we playing this way with the sides he is picking? Why have we dropped playing our defence higher up and pressing with the midfield? Why have we dropped Whitmore who is our best front foot smothering defender? Why does MJ think Ring can play wing back when he's barely quicker than Pringle? Why isn't Ahkeem playing up front instead of Cardwell (who I've lost patience with)? Why does Clifton come on cold after an injury rather than starting, because it's far more likely to pull a hamstring after sitting on the bench for 70 mins than after a pre-match warm up? Why do we look so clueless with the ball? Why do we seem so static in our movement and it looks like we're trying to play from a textbook? Why do we overplay in wide areas instead of slinging crosses in and see what happens? These aren't questions I'd ask of the players, these are questions that I lay directly at the feet of the manager himself.

I'm not averse to 3-5-2 at all, FGR used that formation very effectively tonight because they had players drilled into the system correctly and each player had the right attributes for every position. We don't.

Russell - No chance with the goals tonight
Hendrie - Shocking distribution, lack of penetration going forward, defended ok
Davis - Did ok but the defending for the goals was shocking, not tight enough
Ohman - Won his headers but the defending was shocking for the goals and should have conceded a penalty when his mistimed challenge was in the box, let players run off him
Grayson - Hardly noticed him and looks more like a wing back than a centre half to me
Ring - Easily beaten for pace, shocking distribution, no penetration going forward
Rose and Hessenthaler - Both worked their nuts off for a lost cause but let down by constantly passing sidewards, maybe due to lack of movement in front, but still didn't drive us forward
Vernam - Played in the wrong position, much better suited as one in a partnership of two behind Thomas instead of playing two in front of him, looked lost but hardly helped with any service to feet, we sort of played a 3-4-1-2 rather than a strict 3-5-2 tonight
Cardwell - Not up to it I'm afraid, poor service or not, very slow to react
Thomas - Showed glimpses of quality but looked disinterested at times and who could blame him with the service he received

Clifton - Man of the match for us and he only played twenty minutes, probably helped by FGR taking their foot off the gas, but still showed more in that time than everyone else who played 90 minutes
Woolford - Meh
Rose - Had no chance with how we were playing

Totally disjointed, still poor in wide areas and little or no threat going forward (not solely the forwards' faults) not aided by playing an ineffective formation for the players selected, but I'm not buying that it's either the sole reason or the prime reason that we played so badly. If you look at the players we had available tonight that I think are decent League Two players, I could count twelve, yet Jolley couldn't get a tune out of them and out of that twelve four were on the subs bench. Still not convinced we're putting our best players on the pitch and still not convinced with what Jolley's trying to do. Not buying that the players lacked effort like some claim, just looked like a bunch of hardworking headless chickens without an ounce of confidence or a shred of an idea what they were doing.

I'm more worried about what goes on in the brain of MJ than the ability in the squad, well at least the best dozen or so players anyway. Just not sure MJ knows how to get the best out of them other than backs to the wall victories when we ride our luck and it seems to me that us fans and quite possibly the players are the victims of a coaching experiment at the minute.

BD get them minces tested fella Russell drops a shot that hits him in the chest for one of the goals so he could and should have done better with that one. The 3rd goal came through a crowd of players so not sure what his line of vision was but wtf was he doing with his wall?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
topuphere666
January 23, 2019, 7:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
What’s Welsh got to do to get back in. You don’t go from league 1 to league 2 bench warmer that quick.
The system isn’t working and before we know it we will be dragged back into the mix.

We’re a point worse off from last season - and honestly my body cannot take another feb-apr period like last season  😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
ska face
January 23, 2019, 7:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,558
Gold Stars: 839
“The players aren’t used to playing 3-5-2”
“Shall we try practising it then?”
“NNNNOOO ABANDON IT!!! 4-4-2 or death!!”
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
Bigdog
January 23, 2019, 8:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons

BD get them minces tested fella Russell drops a shot that hits him in the chest for one of the goals so he could and should have done better with that one. The 3rd goal came through a crowd of players so not sure what his line of vision was but wtf was he doing with his wall?

You may be right as i only had one camera angle to look at. Instinctively I felt that neither goals were keeper errors when watching. Got a strong hand to the free kick which was blasted through the wall from less than twenty yards and the third should have been dealt with by the defence at the near post and you often see those go in as the keeper has to set himself for a flick on etc. Like I said, I may be wrong and would like to see both from a better angle to back up what I instinctively thought at the time..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
petethemariner
January 23, 2019, 8:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Second goal  the shot was hit like a bullet and not high enough for Russell to turn it over the bar, perhaps he could have turned it wide, but hardly a blatant mistake, the the third i do think you could question him for, a free kick from the corner of the box hit with little pace shouldn't go in that easily, having said that, he hasn't had much match practice, so we should cut him some slack i feel.
It's the chaos in front of our keeper that worries me most, we are becoming a confused disorganised shambles again and it's up to Jolley to do something about it and quick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back FGR Away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.