Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Any optimism has gone
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 335 Guests

Any optimism has gone

This thread currently has 14,186 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
January 24, 2019, 2:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I agree we are now where we are and those "glory days" are just distant memories but 18 seasons out of 23 ( from 1980 - 2003 ) is more than just a few years in my view.

We weren't lucky to be up there for that length of time.... we were there on merit

Quite. Some top half finishes too, must've got very lucky at times!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 89
January 24, 2019, 5:57pm
Guest User
I still believe  
Reply: 81 - 89
nightrider
January 24, 2019, 8:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
You might laugh but I always thought somebody with money would have taken us over when we were in the Championship (Oh yeah.... they did!) . Somebody with alot of money (he did have a lot of money I here you say  )
As in early 90s - late 90s - ala  Jack Walker.
Fenty goes on about it being a poisoned chalice, a burden, so they could have bought the club for next to nothing, done Bill Carr a huge favour by removing the burden and with about £1m made us into a premiership club almost straight away and created some kind of miracle/folklore.
Literally. Another million or two into Brian Laws transfer fund would have bought us promotion for example. That season we got to 2nd we never even had our main striker - I think Woods was top scorer with what, 11 goals?!
Jeez, in '92 you could buy Clive Mendonca for 80k - 11 of those, 880k and you've won the league    

One small step from the premiership for a million. Literally. Yet the likes of max Griggs (as an example) spent a excrement load of money on a non league club with no fan base to get them into the 3rd division, when we were already in the 2nd with half a team more than capable. The fact we were the smallest club in the championship, the easiest to take over, the quickest and easiest place to go and get them into the holy grail,  it's strange that nobody wanted to invest at that time

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 89
1mickylyons
February 1, 2019, 10:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,262
Gold Stars: 54
The signing of Kristian Dennis has renewed my optimism
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 89
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2019, 11:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
I started the thread and I have to admit my face is now well and truly covered in egg...think with last weekend win, the signing of Ohman and Ring followed up with the signing of Dennis, which has it happens is the player(as in a 20 goal a season striker) we've been crying out for since Podge and Bogle went, my optimism has reached fever pitch.just hope my bubble isn't burst by the seasons end...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 89
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2019, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,548
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I started the thread and I have to admit my face is now well and truly covered in egg...think with last weekend win, the signing of Ohman and Ring followed up with the signing of Dennis, which has it happens is the player(as in a 20 goal a season striker) we've been crying out for since Podge and Bogle went, my optimism has reached fever pitch.just hope my bubble isn't burst by the seasons end...

It is great when we sign proper players and it is also great that Jolley seems to have a plan that he is working towards.

However, other teams in our league have strengthened as well, and most will continue to do that in the summer. This league is as competitive as any other, money will always talk so Jolley has got a minor miracle to work if we are going to challenge next season.

I suppose what I am saying is I rather suspect the reality is somewhere between your original post and this latest one - I don't think you have got egg on your face and I am looking forward to seeing if Dennis can be the man that takes up a notch.

I think it is fair to say that without fresh investment into the club, these incremental improvements in the playing squad is our best hope of finding some football fortune which Michael Jolley seems to have bought into.  
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 89
Mariner Timsky
February 1, 2019, 11:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4

He defo fits into that bracket of striker we have all been wanting

Ok just 16 games left but he can still have an impact

Wonder if we made an attempt to sign him back in May??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 89
friskneymariner
February 1, 2019, 11:47am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Think Cook can play a major part as an attacking wide player.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 89
Northbank Mariner
April 12, 2019, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
The last few post on here tickled me.... maybe, even though I thought I'd got egg on my face at the time,  I was actually right for once!!...just don't tell the wife, she'd never believe me😂😂
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 89
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2019, 11:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The last few post on here tickled me.... maybe, even though I thought I'd got egg on my face at the time,  I was actually right for once!!...just don't tell the wife, she'd never believe me😂😂

Fuckit Northbank. It's all a question of time and perspective. Sooner or later your OP will be right. You can say you spotted it early  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 89
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Any optimism has gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.