9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
January 23, 2019, 5:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I took MJ's comments on that to mean that he doesn't need to offload someone first, but might do if he wanted to offer the incoming player more money than the remaining capacity of the budget.

Which will attract lots of "urgh, the board need to get their wallets out" comments, but really it's the same reality of a situation for any team operating with a set playing budget.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 89
rancido
January 23, 2019, 6:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Tommy
I took MJ's comments on that to mean that he doesn't need to offload someone first, but might do if he wanted to offer the incoming player more money than the remaining capacity of the budget.

Which will attract lots of "urgh, the board need to get their wallets out" comments, but really it's the same reality of a situation for any team operating with a set playing budget.

But surely you know by now that the generally held opinion on here is that the only reason we have a Board is to constantly prop up the club with large cash donations.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 89
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2019, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

But surely you know by now that the generally held opinion on here is that the only reason we have a Board is to constantly prop up the club with large cash donations.

As the loan account has reduced quite substantially over the last three years,  I think we are clearly aware that that isn't the case  
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 89
Cayman_mariner
January 23, 2019, 7:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I don't think you have an understanding on the 3-5-2 formation.

If you read the quote fishboy you may realise we were talking about the games we'd lost  'before' the switch to 3-5-2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 89
Cayman_mariner
January 23, 2019, 7:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Tommy

It was mainly centre-backs we were missing though at that time, not full-backs.

So when we got more centre backs available, we switched from a system with 2 CB's to a system with 3 CB's.

Fair point Tommy, but for me I don't understand why the sudden switch in formation.  We had done so well in December with our first choice defenders available playing 4 at the back and they were operating well in that system to suddenly switch to a formation that so far we've failed at.  Even more so when you consider we try it out away against two of the best teams in the division. As has been said on here by others, something to try when we have reached the magical 50 points rather than taking the risk now.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 89
HertsGTFC
January 23, 2019, 8:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Tommy

When I heard his interview I took it that way.

When I though “who” Collins has a short time left on his deal, struggling to come back, still commutes I think and l would imagine us one of the biggest earners. With the latest CB additions maybe he’s one to say “thanks for your service to”?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 89
forza ivano
January 23, 2019, 8:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from rancido

Perhaps someone could list the large cash donations made by the directors over the last couple of seasons so that we can put this myth to bed.

Anyway another very good reason to have a board is to decide what to do with any unexpected £250.000 windfall that a cup run might bring...... ( as I said last night my money is on buying floodlight bulbs and reducing those pesky benign loans)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 89
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2019, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from forza ivano

Perhaps someone could list the large cash donations made by the directors over the last couple of seasons so that we can put this myth to bed.

Anyway another very good reason to have a board is to decide what to do with any unexpected £250.000 windfall that a cup run might bring...... ( as I said last night my money is on buying floodlight bulbs and reducing those pesky benign loans)

Directors loans account stood at £2.24 million in May 2015, in May 2018 £1.8 million
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 89
Rik e B
January 23, 2019, 8:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Just another 9 years scraping by as loan's being paid back 200k each year then we back on an even keel. Going to be fun
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 89
promotion plaice
January 23, 2019, 8:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from Rik e B
Just another 9 years scraping by as loan's being paid back 200k each year then we back on an even keel. Going to be fun

Supposedly lesser clubs are catching up with us all the time.....I see David Beckham has just bought a 10% stake in Salford City.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 89
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any optimism has gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.