5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
January 20, 2019, 2:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
Looking at our striker situation -

Danny Rowe from FC Flyde contract runs out end of this season and his never played in the EFL.

His stats are outrageous for non league and could defiantly do a job in league 2, would probably be pretty cheep too with his contract out this season his only 28.

His scored 19 in 30 games this season and in the 16/17 season scored 47 goals if the stats are right. Scored 24 last season.

What strikers could you see fitting in for he team?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ipswin
January 20, 2019, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

Danny Rowe from FC Flyde contract runs out end of this season and his never played in the EFL.

His stats are outrageous for non league and could defiantly do a job in league 2, would probably be pretty cheep too with his contract out this season his only 28.

His scored 19 in 30 games this season and in the 16/17 season scored 47 goals if the stats are right. Scored 24 last season.

A line up of any 11 defiant players would do me

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 46
sonofmadeleymariner
January 20, 2019, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Danny Rowe's name comes up every transfer window, there must be a reason no league club has taken a punt on him

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 46
Garth
January 20, 2019, 5:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89

Some guy name of Matt, scored 16/this season, oh wait!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 46
Northbank Mariner
January 20, 2019, 5:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Does make you wonder why MJ didn't fancy him, can only think he didn't want a big striker to remove the tendency to play the long ball game, yet how many times does macca pump it aimlessly straight down Thomas/Cardwells throat!!!....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 46
ska face
January 20, 2019, 5:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Matt was never ours to give away and was absolute dog in most of the 30-odd matches he played for us. Of course a bloke who’s about 6’5” is going to do well for a team that just loads everything into the box and has the players to do it with quality.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 46
chaos33
January 20, 2019, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Can't really be disputed

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 46
KingstonMariner
January 20, 2019, 5:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Does make you wonder why MJ didn't fancy him, can only think he didn't want a big striker to remove the tendency to play the long ball game, yet how many times does macca pump it aimlessly straight down Thomas/Cardwells throat!!!....

Had years of practice doing it under previous managers. Hard habit to break.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 46
golfer
January 20, 2019, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Not that big -only 6ft 1ins which isn't that tall for a striker and is shorter than Cardwell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 46
Madeleymariner
January 20, 2019, 6:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Success of someone like Matt  this season could be based on he gets several chances every game to score, unlike last seasson where we couldn't even create 3 between all the players most games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 46
Ipswin
January 20, 2019, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Hasn't Matt's strike partner scored one or two as well ?

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 46
denni266
January 20, 2019, 7:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
Alwase seems to be said , in the next window..in the summer window etc.. never seem to get one tho that knows where the back of the net is. and every year the same ... building for next year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
chaos33
January 20, 2019, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
What happened to Akwasi Asante?
He was the new Pele or something...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
AndyDarloFC
January 20, 2019, 8:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Danny Rowe's name comes up every transfer window, there must be a reason no league club has taken a punt on him

Probably because Fylde pay him stupid money.

He’ll sign an extension with them before the end of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 46
Posh Harry
January 20, 2019, 8:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34

I think he earns good money outside of the game and has never wanted to turn full time pro therefore rules himself out of higher grade football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
TownSNAFU5
January 20, 2019, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Matty Warburton (aged 25) scored his third hat-trick of the season yesterday for Stockport against York.  The York match report said that Warburton showed a quality “at least 2 divisions higher”.

Worth at least a look at this striker?  He is highly-rated so probably on the radar of other clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
livosnose
January 20, 2019, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from chaos33
What happened to Akwasi Asante?
He was the new Pele or something...

Gone to Chester

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2019, 9:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Success of someone like Matt  this season could be based on he gets several chances every game to score, unlike last seasson where we couldn't even create 3 between all the players most games.

I was saying this yesterday on the way home. To get the most out of wing backs you need to get them forward in wide positions, whipping crosses in.  Most goals are scored as a result of a mistake so the more you put the ball in the box, the higher the probability that a defending player will make a mistake in a costly position.

To increase your chances further you need late runners into the box from midfield.

Jolley has previously spoken about wanting us to press high.  Lincoln had 11 men back at each corner but once it was cleared 4 players were sprinting out after the ball.  Due to the amount of "big lads" they have I also noticed that they didn't clear the ball out in to touch much.  Instead they hit it high, keeping it in play and won the resulting aerial challenge.  Little things like that make a huge difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
golfer
January 21, 2019, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Matty Warburton (aged 25) scored his third hat-trick of the season yesterday for Stockport against York.  The York match report said that Warburton showed a quality “at least 2 divisions higher”.

Worth at least a look at this striker?  He is highly-rated so probably on the radar of other clubs.

If we can spot him surely our contacts will have reported to Jolly. Looks like a similar player to Almond.   GET IN THERE SON-sooner than later. " When it's gone it's gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 21, 2019, 10:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I was saying this yesterday on the way home. To get the most out of wing backs you need to get them forward in wide positions, whipping crosses in.  Most goals are scored as a result of a mistake so the more you put the ball in the box, the higher the probability that a defending player will make a mistake in a costly position.

To increase your chances further you need late runners into the box from midfield.

Jolley has previously spoken about wanting us to press high.  Lincoln had 11 men back at each corner but once it was cleared 4 players were sprinting out after the ball.  Due to the amount of "big lads" they have I also noticed that they didn't clear the ball out in to touch much.  Instead they hit it high, keeping it in play and won the resulting aerial challenge.  Little things like that make a huge difference.

Well they do if your side contains 6 or 7 brick sh!thouse sized players. I do agree with your other comment though, it is what I’ve been saying for weeks. We are slow to turn defence into attack. Wing backs turning inside and playing the ball square or backwards, mainly because the central midfielders do not get up with the strikers fast enough to outnumber the defenders. Another thing is the inability to carry the ball at speed. I feel Vernam can do it better than anyone and he should be used to do that. Other players should get up there to make room for him to use his speed.

But none of this will guarantee we score goals. We see the same happenings in the 6 yard box as we did with Slade’s side. Feet flying, legs swinging, players falling about,  ball pinging around and no good striker in there to make it count before a defender whacks it clear.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
lew chaterleys lover
January 21, 2019, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
If the Board are pleased with he way Jolley has gone about things, the way he seems to have a longer-term plan, his willingness to bring younger players through and getting them out of a hole with his classy style, then they should back him to get in the players (strikers) that demand a premium.

Failure to do so will just confirm that the Board expect Jolley not only to get them out of a hole but to do it with one hand tied behind his back.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
Mariner93er
January 21, 2019, 11:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
The problem is, half the teams in the division will also be in need of a good striker. The ones that already have one will be desperately attempting to hold onto them. Of the top 12 scorers laat season, only 4 are still in this division, with one being on loan and doidges transfer to bolton falling through. It's all well and good saying push out the boat, but realistically, were is this striker coming from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
Tommy
January 21, 2019, 12:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mariner93er
The problem is, half the teams in the division will also be in need of a good striker. The ones that already have one will be desperately attempting to hold onto them. Of the top 12 scorers laat season, only 4 are still in this division, with one being on loan and doidges transfer to bolton falling through. It's all well and good saying push out the boat, but realistically, were is this striker coming from?

Wise words I think.

There are probably only 3 or 4 "20-goal strikers" in this (or any) division at any one time. It's asking a lot for Grimsby Town to attract and afford one of these high-in-demand prospects.

The "20 goal striker" thing is becoming a bit of an over-used myth anyway. We've had successful teams before without having 20 goal strikers and it's possible to do so again if the team functions properly in and out of possession.

I'd like us to start creating more clear goalscoring chances and see if the strikers we already have could get more goals. Because despite the criticism of some of the strikers currently, we don't create many chances at all and many of our shots are only what I'd call half-chances.
(I know a counter argument to this is that better strikers could help us create better chances, but I don't think that's all the problem is)

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
chrissy
January 21, 2019, 12:15pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from Mariner93er

Sweden ?

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 21, 2019, 1:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

Wise words I think.

There are probably only 3 or 4 "20-goal strikers" in this (or any) division at any one time. It's asking a lot for Grimsby Town to attract and afford one of these high-in-demand prospects.

The "20 goal striker" thing is becoming a bit of an over-used myth anyway. We've had successful teams before without having 20 goal strikers and it's possible to do so again if the team functions properly in and out of possession.

I'd like us to start creating more clear goalscoring chances and see if the strikers we already have could get more goals. Because despite the criticism of some of the strikers currently, we don't create many chances at all and many of our shots are only what I'd call half-chances.
(I know a counter argument to this is that better strikers could help us create better chances, but I don't think that's all the problem is)

The snag is Tommy that even in our "good" run in December, only Thomas of the strikers scored more than one goal the only other striker goal was Vernam and the rest came from midfield and defenders. I agree about the way we play though. Clifton got goals from midfield in December but midfielders in the opposition's area have been as few as hens' teeth since then. From set pieces Davies scored two and we look dangerous from corners but we do not have that poacher to finish the job when the ball is bobbling around. It's true as you say we need to create chances but they still need to be finished.

Some posters say where do we get a striker from if everyone is looking for the same thing. But where will they get theirs from? If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker. In any case I think the issue is one of scouting and contacts. Did we sign Gary Birtles because we offered him a sackful of loot?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
sam gy
January 21, 2019, 1:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53

If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker.

Ehh? Pretty sure it's the opposite!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 21, 2019, 2:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Ehh? Pretty sure it's the opposite!

Makes more sense if you quote the sentences before and after, Sam.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
Gaffer58
January 21, 2019, 3:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
We would all love a 20 goal a season striker but we know they are as rare as rocking horse crap, so I would rather see midfielders getting in the box and making runs beyond strikers so the goals are shared around the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
chaos33
January 21, 2019, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Well they do if your side contains 6 or 7 brick sh!thouse sized players. I do agree with your other comment though, it is what I’ve been saying for weeks. We are slow to turn defence into attack. Wing backs turning inside and playing the ball square or backwards, mainly because the central midfielders do not get up with the strikers fast enough to outnumber the defenders. Another thing is the inability to carry the ball at speed. I feel Vernam can do it better than anyone and he should be used to do that. Other players should get up there to make room for him to use his speed.

But none of this will guarantee we score goals. We see the same happenings in the 6 yard box as we did with Slade’s side. Feet flying, legs swinging, players falling about,  ball pinging around and no good striker in there to make it count before a defender whacks it clear.

I think you hit on two pivotal points and I'm sure Jolley must be aware of these and trying to do do something about it:

1. Breaking more quickly when turning over possession using quick forward passes and...
2. Carrying the ball at speed.

Jolley's preferred general strategy is to play on the counter. Its absolutely evident that we are not using either of the above central aspects of that style, or haven't been doing that in recent games, which provokes obvious questions about bringing players in as well as coaching and selection challenges.

The other thing, IMO, that was a feature of our fairly recent successful run of games was the amount of balls into the box we were producing.
I'd say that has dropped in our fixtures in Dec/Jan. We have, of course, played some better teams in that spell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
toontown
January 21, 2019, 10:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69

The snag is Tommy that even in our "good" run in December, only Thomas of the strikers scored more than one goal the only other striker goal was Vernam and the rest came from midfield and defenders. I agree about the way we play though. Clifton got goals from midfield in December but midfielders in the opposition's area have been as few as hens' teeth since then. From set pieces Davies scored two and we look dangerous from corners but we do not have that poacher to finish the job when the ball is bobbling around. It's true as you say we need to create chances but they still need to be finished.

Some posters say where do we get a striker from if everyone is looking for the same thing. But where will they get theirs from? If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker. In any case I think the issue is one of scouting and contacts. Did we sign Gary Birtles because we offered him a sackful of loot?

We look dangerous from corners when pringle takes them. But then he is one of the worst culprits for slowing us down on the break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
toontown
January 21, 2019, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69

We look dangerous from corners when pringle takes them. But then he is one of the worst culprits for slowing us down on the break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
1mickylyons
January 22, 2019, 6:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
It`s alright getting in a decent striker but without service how many goals will he add? I don`t recall our current frontmen missing a heap of chances largely because they don`t get many to miss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
buckstown
January 22, 2019, 1:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
I think there are two side to this.
When Connell, Hearn, Omar or Podge were one on one with the keeper there was little doubt about the outcome.
When Wes, Vernam, Cardwell or Cook are through there is every doubt about the outcome. In their defence we get these guys into such positions significantly less so they get less "practise"
I do think we need a ruthless striker and in all likelihood it will be a young guy on loan or a risk from lower leagues. Probably the loan because there are people with more money that us to attract the promising guys from lower leagues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
Mendonca1995
January 23, 2019, 11:29am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Striker and old formation needed immediately !!!

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
fishboyUTM
January 23, 2019, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from buckstown
When Connell, Hearn, Omar or Podge were one on one with the keeper there was little doubt about the outcome.
When Wes, Vernam, Cardwell or Cook are through there is every doubt about the outcome. In their defence we get these guys into such positions significantly less so they get less "practise"
I do think we need a ruthless striker and in all likelihood it will be a young guy on loan or a risk from lower leagues. Probably the loan because there are people with more money that us to attract the promising guys from lower leagues

I'm happy with Wes Thomas, although at 32 he's probably only a shortish term solution althogh his form has dropped off the last 2 or 3 weeks. To be fair, he's been living off scraps. Charles Vernam is a quality footballer, I suspect he isn't a hundred percent after a recent injury flare up and had been playing wide right of the top three where chances aren't quite as forthcoming as the central forward.

I really did like Cook, I say did as he seems to be completely out of the reckoning, but I thing there is a clever player there. Whether he is a central striker, I'm not sure. I am not at all happy with Harry Cardwell as a first team striker. His goal record is woeful and he never looks like scoring, he is slow to react and doesn't look anywhere near the required levels. My opinion of course, and I'd be delighted if he could prove me wrong. Akeem Rose, haven't seen enough of him but from what I have seen, he has pace to burn and a willingness to get behind defences. but it's clear he is raw, he's missed a couple of good headed opportunities.

Attack wise, we need a new striker who is ready to go straight into the first eleven, easier said than done of course. May have to push the boat out and sacrifice other areas but that has to be MJ's priority and he's just over a week to bring someone in permanently. I don't want to loan players as you're just putting a plaster on the wound and improving someone elses player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Ipswin
January 23, 2019, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from buckstown

It's no surprise to me that Podge is still knocking them in, strange how so many strikers hit form (and the net after leaving Town) Not just Matt but I notice Andy Cooke has 11 goals in Div 1 for Walsall this season and there must be more I'm sure but I suppose their supply of balls into the box must be better and they are better in the air than our current batch

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
diehardmariner
January 23, 2019, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Andy Cook who showed so much promise in his first season only to simply fail to turn up in his second season, amidst rumours that he was homesick.  Looking as uninterested as he was overweight for the majority of that season.

The same Andy Cook who needed two seasons near his home in the North West with Barrow and then a further two with  Tranmere to get into the Football League at the age of nearly 28?

Cook needed to leave Town to get his career back on track, he's hardly one that got away.  It was the best move for all parties.

Amond was 1 in 4 at Morecambe.  1 in 4 at Accrington.  1 in 3.3 at Hartlepool and he's just shy of 1 in 3 at Newport.  Before and after his spell with his, his time in the league is pretty consistent.  He was a great striker here, not just for his goals but to list him as someone who's hit form after leaving Town isn't true.  

Matt was absolute junk when he was here.  Maybe it was just a bad move, he didn't like Slade, he didn't like the area, he didn't like whatever.  But he was a disaster signing.  Everyone thought it was a great move as he had looked a real handful whenever he played against us but it was just one of those ones that didn't work out.

Who else do you think has hit form since leaving us?  Dayle Southwell, Jamie Forrester, Daryl Clare?
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
pontoonlew
January 23, 2019, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Cook wasn’t just homesick, he put in some good performances and dealt with being publicly criticised by the messiah Paul Hurst. Who then went on to criticise any fans who dared question LJL. Not a surprise he didn’t fancy it under Hurst and not a surprise he’s ended up having a good League 1 career.

Must admit I don’t know many strikers that suddenly turned great after leaving us, there’s an absolute hatful of other players who have though. I saw Martin Gritton on twitter (if you don’t follow him, do, seems like a great bloke who still supports us now) slating Fenty the other day, I do wonder if his influence still filters down to players as it seemingly did in Grittons time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Maringer
January 23, 2019, 3:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Cook looked unfit, lazy and half-arsed most of the time he was with us.

He's obviously got himself sorted out since then and has done well for the past few seasons, but I'll not forgive any player for not putting in the effort at the very least when they are playing for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Ipswin
January 23, 2019, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Knock Cook, Matt, Amond and any the others as much as you like.

I'd swap all our shite bunch of so called strikers (do they actually qualify for that title when they can't actually hit a cows bottom with a banjo) tomorrow

Dare I say it, scoring goals has been a constant problem since Bogle went (couldn't stand the bloke but he knew where the net was)

We can't expect to be any better than bottom third if we manage 'nil' every week

I don't want a 20+ goal a season man (if there are any going they sure as hell aren't going to come to Grimsby Town anyway) a couple of 10 or 12 goal players would do

I suggest the stats on goals per game is not a very good way to go with our current bunch

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
January 24, 2019, 10:54am
Guest User
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm happy with Wes Thomas, although at 32 he's probably only a shortish term solution althogh his form has dropped off the last 2 or 3 weeks. To be fair, he's been living off scraps. Charles Vernam is a quality footballer, I suspect he isn't a hundred percent after a recent injury flare up and had been playing wide right of the top three where chances aren't quite as forthcoming as the central forward.

I really did like Cook, I say did as he seems to be completely out of the reckoning, but I thing there is a clever player there. Whether he is a central striker, I'm not sure. I am not at all happy with Harry Cardwell as a first team striker. His goal record is woeful and he never looks like scoring, he is slow to react and doesn't look anywhere near the required levels. My opinion of course, and I'd be delighted if he could prove me wrong. Akeem Rose, haven't seen enough of him but from what I have seen, he has pace to burn and a willingness to get behind defences. but it's clear he is raw, he's missed a couple of good headed opportunities.

Attack wise, we need a new striker who is ready to go straight into the first eleven, easier said than done of course. May have to push the boat out and sacrifice other areas but that has to be MJ's priority and he's just over a week to bring someone in permanently. I don't want to loan players as you're just putting a plaster on the wound and improving someone elses player.

Totally agree with this, wes isn't exactly getting amazing chances atm and is having to act as a hold up player, which he is not, I think we need a tall strong lad who can hold up play, and flick it on when needs be. Cardwell is tall, but doesn't seem strong enough or win anything in the air. We also lack an aerial threat from crosses and corners unless we have Davis/öhman up with us.
Think Vernam is/will be very good, has pace and is not afraid to run AT his man which I wish we did more rather than passing it sideways/back when we meet a defender... Cook, I'm not sure about, hasn't really had enough chances of late, but imagine he's on a decent wage and wouldn't be surprised to see him going...
Reply: 40 - 46
monkeyboy
January 24, 2019, 12:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
We are not desperate for strikers imo, we are desperate for a midfield that can create chances.

I wouldnt mind if the strikers were spurning chance after chance but they are not as the service is urine poor.
We have too many mids that are pretty much the same if you take out embleton.

I do think we have a need for someone who can hold the ball up better, Thomas has been far too isolated and does not have a midfield that gets close to him, only Clifton seems to do that in any way, too much side ways and backwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 46
essexexile
January 24, 2019, 1:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ska face
Matt was never ours to give away and was absolute dog in most of the 30-odd matches he played for us. Of course a bloke who’s about 6’5” is going to do well for a team that just loads everything into the box and has the players to do it with quality.

So why didn't we do that when we had him?
Play to your strengths and all that!
Pi**es me off seeing him & Podge scoring for fun for a team in our league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 46
Rik e B
January 24, 2019, 1:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Sladeball?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 46
Gaffer58
January 24, 2019, 2:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
So while Matt was here we didn't play to his positives,e.g.  lumping it into the box all the time, now we have  Wes that's now how we play, seems something wrong somewhere!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 46
Maringer
January 24, 2019, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think you'd have to say that the run in with endless long throws from Rose hurled into the box were pretty direct last season. Matt was a bit of a disappointment for us but I understand that his kid was badly injured at some point last year in an accident (I seem to remember some sort of a mention of him/her being scalded?). Perfectly understandable that we didn't see his best with this in mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 46
arryarryarry
January 24, 2019, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Gaffer58
So while Matt was here we didn't play to his positives,e.g.  lumping it into the box all the time, now we have  Wes that's now how we play, seems something wrong somewhere!!!

Not sure we do lump it into the box that much, lump upfield maybe but I see too many times we are in the last third and then the ball ends up back with McKeown.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 46
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.