5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
January 21, 2019, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,270
Gold Stars: 70

The snag is Tommy that even in our "good" run in December, only Thomas of the strikers scored more than one goal the only other striker goal was Vernam and the rest came from midfield and defenders. I agree about the way we play though. Clifton got goals from midfield in December but midfielders in the opposition's area have been as few as hens' teeth since then. From set pieces Davies scored two and we look dangerous from corners but we do not have that poacher to finish the job when the ball is bobbling around. It's true as you say we need to create chances but they still need to be finished.

Some posters say where do we get a striker from if everyone is looking for the same thing. But where will they get theirs from? If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker. In any case I think the issue is one of scouting and contacts. Did we sign Gary Birtles because we offered him a sackful of loot?

We look dangerous from corners when pringle takes them. But then he is one of the worst culprits for slowing us down on the break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
1mickylyons
January 22, 2019, 6:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
It`s alright getting in a decent striker but without service how many goals will he add? I don`t recall our current frontmen missing a heap of chances largely because they don`t get many to miss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
buckstown
January 22, 2019, 1:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I think there are two side to this.
When Connell, Hearn, Omar or Podge were one on one with the keeper there was little doubt about the outcome.
When Wes, Vernam, Cardwell or Cook are through there is every doubt about the outcome. In their defence we get these guys into such positions significantly less so they get less "practise"
I do think we need a ruthless striker and in all likelihood it will be a young guy on loan or a risk from lower leagues. Probably the loan because there are people with more money that us to attract the promising guys from lower leagues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
Mendonca1995
January 23, 2019, 11:29am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Striker and old formation needed immediately !!!

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
fishboyUTM
January 23, 2019, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from buckstown
When Connell, Hearn, Omar or Podge were one on one with the keeper there was little doubt about the outcome.
When Wes, Vernam, Cardwell or Cook are through there is every doubt about the outcome. In their defence we get these guys into such positions significantly less so they get less "practise"
I do think we need a ruthless striker and in all likelihood it will be a young guy on loan or a risk from lower leagues. Probably the loan because there are people with more money that us to attract the promising guys from lower leagues

I'm happy with Wes Thomas, although at 32 he's probably only a shortish term solution althogh his form has dropped off the last 2 or 3 weeks. To be fair, he's been living off scraps. Charles Vernam is a quality footballer, I suspect he isn't a hundred percent after a recent injury flare up and had been playing wide right of the top three where chances aren't quite as forthcoming as the central forward.

I really did like Cook, I say did as he seems to be completely out of the reckoning, but I thing there is a clever player there. Whether he is a central striker, I'm not sure. I am not at all happy with Harry Cardwell as a first team striker. His goal record is woeful and he never looks like scoring, he is slow to react and doesn't look anywhere near the required levels. My opinion of course, and I'd be delighted if he could prove me wrong. Akeem Rose, haven't seen enough of him but from what I have seen, he has pace to burn and a willingness to get behind defences. but it's clear he is raw, he's missed a couple of good headed opportunities.

Attack wise, we need a new striker who is ready to go straight into the first eleven, easier said than done of course. May have to push the boat out and sacrifice other areas but that has to be MJ's priority and he's just over a week to bring someone in permanently. I don't want to loan players as you're just putting a plaster on the wound and improving someone elses player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Ipswin
January 23, 2019, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from buckstown

It's no surprise to me that Podge is still knocking them in, strange how so many strikers hit form (and the net after leaving Town) Not just Matt but I notice Andy Cooke has 11 goals in Div 1 for Walsall this season and there must be more I'm sure but I suppose their supply of balls into the box must be better and they are better in the air than our current batch

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
diehardmariner
January 23, 2019, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Andy Cook who showed so much promise in his first season only to simply fail to turn up in his second season, amidst rumours that he was homesick.  Looking as uninterested as he was overweight for the majority of that season.

The same Andy Cook who needed two seasons near his home in the North West with Barrow and then a further two with  Tranmere to get into the Football League at the age of nearly 28?

Cook needed to leave Town to get his career back on track, he's hardly one that got away.  It was the best move for all parties.

Amond was 1 in 4 at Morecambe.  1 in 4 at Accrington.  1 in 3.3 at Hartlepool and he's just shy of 1 in 3 at Newport.  Before and after his spell with his, his time in the league is pretty consistent.  He was a great striker here, not just for his goals but to list him as someone who's hit form after leaving Town isn't true.  

Matt was absolute junk when he was here.  Maybe it was just a bad move, he didn't like Slade, he didn't like the area, he didn't like whatever.  But he was a disaster signing.  Everyone thought it was a great move as he had looked a real handful whenever he played against us but it was just one of those ones that didn't work out.

Who else do you think has hit form since leaving us?  Dayle Southwell, Jamie Forrester, Daryl Clare?
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
pontoonlew
January 23, 2019, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Cook wasn’t just homesick, he put in some good performances and dealt with being publicly criticised by the messiah Paul Hurst. Who then went on to criticise any fans who dared question LJL. Not a surprise he didn’t fancy it under Hurst and not a surprise he’s ended up having a good League 1 career.

Must admit I don’t know many strikers that suddenly turned great after leaving us, there’s an absolute hatful of other players who have though. I saw Martin Gritton on twitter (if you don’t follow him, do, seems like a great bloke who still supports us now) slating Fenty the other day, I do wonder if his influence still filters down to players as it seemingly did in Grittons time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Maringer
January 23, 2019, 3:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Cook looked unfit, lazy and half-arsed most of the time he was with us.

He's obviously got himself sorted out since then and has done well for the past few seasons, but I'll not forgive any player for not putting in the effort at the very least when they are playing for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Ipswin
January 23, 2019, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Knock Cook, Matt, Amond and any the others as much as you like.

I'd swap all our shite bunch of so called strikers (do they actually qualify for that title when they can't actually hit a cows bottom with a banjo) tomorrow

Dare I say it, scoring goals has been a constant problem since Bogle went (couldn't stand the bloke but he knew where the net was)

We can't expect to be any better than bottom third if we manage 'nil' every week

I don't want a 20+ goal a season man (if there are any going they sure as hell aren't going to come to Grimsby Town anyway) a couple of 10 or 12 goal players would do

I suggest the stats on goals per game is not a very good way to go with our current bunch

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.