5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 21, 2019, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
If the Board are pleased with he way Jolley has gone about things, the way he seems to have a longer-term plan, his willingness to bring younger players through and getting them out of a hole with his classy style, then they should back him to get in the players (strikers) that demand a premium.

Failure to do so will just confirm that the Board expect Jolley not only to get them out of a hole but to do it with one hand tied behind his back.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 46
Mariner93er
January 21, 2019, 11:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
The problem is, half the teams in the division will also be in need of a good striker. The ones that already have one will be desperately attempting to hold onto them. Of the top 12 scorers laat season, only 4 are still in this division, with one being on loan and doidges transfer to bolton falling through. It's all well and good saying push out the boat, but realistically, were is this striker coming from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 46
Tommy
January 21, 2019, 12:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mariner93er
The problem is, half the teams in the division will also be in need of a good striker. The ones that already have one will be desperately attempting to hold onto them. Of the top 12 scorers laat season, only 4 are still in this division, with one being on loan and doidges transfer to bolton falling through. It's all well and good saying push out the boat, but realistically, were is this striker coming from?

Wise words I think.

There are probably only 3 or 4 "20-goal strikers" in this (or any) division at any one time. It's asking a lot for Grimsby Town to attract and afford one of these high-in-demand prospects.

The "20 goal striker" thing is becoming a bit of an over-used myth anyway. We've had successful teams before without having 20 goal strikers and it's possible to do so again if the team functions properly in and out of possession.

I'd like us to start creating more clear goalscoring chances and see if the strikers we already have could get more goals. Because despite the criticism of some of the strikers currently, we don't create many chances at all and many of our shots are only what I'd call half-chances.
(I know a counter argument to this is that better strikers could help us create better chances, but I don't think that's all the problem is)

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 46
chrissy
January 21, 2019, 12:15pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from Mariner93er

Sweden ?

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 21, 2019, 1:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Tommy

Wise words I think.

There are probably only 3 or 4 "20-goal strikers" in this (or any) division at any one time. It's asking a lot for Grimsby Town to attract and afford one of these high-in-demand prospects.

The "20 goal striker" thing is becoming a bit of an over-used myth anyway. We've had successful teams before without having 20 goal strikers and it's possible to do so again if the team functions properly in and out of possession.

I'd like us to start creating more clear goalscoring chances and see if the strikers we already have could get more goals. Because despite the criticism of some of the strikers currently, we don't create many chances at all and many of our shots are only what I'd call half-chances.
(I know a counter argument to this is that better strikers could help us create better chances, but I don't think that's all the problem is)

The snag is Tommy that even in our "good" run in December, only Thomas of the strikers scored more than one goal the only other striker goal was Vernam and the rest came from midfield and defenders. I agree about the way we play though. Clifton got goals from midfield in December but midfielders in the opposition's area have been as few as hens' teeth since then. From set pieces Davies scored two and we look dangerous from corners but we do not have that poacher to finish the job when the ball is bobbling around. It's true as you say we need to create chances but they still need to be finished.

Some posters say where do we get a striker from if everyone is looking for the same thing. But where will they get theirs from? If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker. In any case I think the issue is one of scouting and contacts. Did we sign Gary Birtles because we offered him a sackful of loot?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 46
sam gy
January 21, 2019, 1:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,471
Gold Stars: 55

If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker.

Ehh? Pretty sure it's the opposite!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 46
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 21, 2019, 2:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from sam gy

Ehh? Pretty sure it's the opposite!

Makes more sense if you quote the sentences before and after, Sam.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 46
Gaffer58
January 21, 2019, 3:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
We would all love a 20 goal a season striker but we know they are as rare as rocking horse crap, so I would rather see midfielders getting in the box and making runs beyond strikers so the goals are shared around the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 46
chaos33
January 21, 2019, 4:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357

Well they do if your side contains 6 or 7 brick sh!thouse sized players. I do agree with your other comment though, it is what I’ve been saying for weeks. We are slow to turn defence into attack. Wing backs turning inside and playing the ball square or backwards, mainly because the central midfielders do not get up with the strikers fast enough to outnumber the defenders. Another thing is the inability to carry the ball at speed. I feel Vernam can do it better than anyone and he should be used to do that. Other players should get up there to make room for him to use his speed.

But none of this will guarantee we score goals. We see the same happenings in the 6 yard box as we did with Slade’s side. Feet flying, legs swinging, players falling about,  ball pinging around and no good striker in there to make it count before a defender whacks it clear.

I think you hit on two pivotal points and I'm sure Jolley must be aware of these and trying to do do something about it:

1. Breaking more quickly when turning over possession using quick forward passes and...
2. Carrying the ball at speed.

Jolley's preferred general strategy is to play on the counter. Its absolutely evident that we are not using either of the above central aspects of that style, or haven't been doing that in recent games, which provokes obvious questions about bringing players in as well as coaching and selection challenges.

The other thing, IMO, that was a feature of our fairly recent successful run of games was the amount of balls into the box we were producing.
I'd say that has dropped in our fixtures in Dec/Jan. We have, of course, played some better teams in that spell.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 46
toontown
January 21, 2019, 10:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,260
Gold Stars: 70

The snag is Tommy that even in our "good" run in December, only Thomas of the strikers scored more than one goal the only other striker goal was Vernam and the rest came from midfield and defenders. I agree about the way we play though. Clifton got goals from midfield in December but midfielders in the opposition's area have been as few as hens' teeth since then. From set pieces Davies scored two and we look dangerous from corners but we do not have that poacher to finish the job when the ball is bobbling around. It's true as you say we need to create chances but they still need to be finished.

Some posters say where do we get a striker from if everyone is looking for the same thing. But where will they get theirs from? If it is true that we have one of the better budgets then surely those teams will be more worried than us about the costs of a striker. In any case I think the issue is one of scouting and contacts. Did we sign Gary Birtles because we offered him a sackful of loot?

We look dangerous from corners when pringle takes them. But then he is one of the worst culprits for slowing us down on the break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.