6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2019, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
What does anybody (including Jolley) see in him? Totally ineffective wherever he plays, no desire, never wins anything in the air and is like a kitten to play against.

He is far too slow off the mark and I cannot remember him having any impact on the game, bar the penalty he won at Swindon last year and a tap in.

We let players of the calibre of Amond and Andy Cook (who was obviously a good player) go and replace them with players of inferior quality.

We badly need a couple of strikers and guess what Mr Fenty - you have to pay a premium to get them.
Private Message
Yoda
January 19, 2019, 6:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,972
Gold Stars: 65
I love Cardwell but he needs to drop down a couple of leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
Hagrid
January 19, 2019, 6:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 508
Looks a man low on confidence and out his depth today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
arryarryarry
January 19, 2019, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
What does anybody (including Jolley) see in him? Totally ineffective wherever he plays, no desire, never wins anything in the air and is like a kitten to play against.

He is far too slow off the mark and I cannot remember him having any impact on the game, bar the penalty he won at Swindon last year and a tap in.

We let players of the calibre of Amond and Andy Cook (who was obviously a good player) go and replace them with players of inferior quality.

We badly need a couple of strikers and guess what Mr Fenty - you have to pay a premium to get them.

I've just posted on the just back thread that I thought he won more headers than Thomas but in terms of goal threat neither looked anything like scoring.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 6:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,649
Gold Stars: 217
He's a young player learning his trade so people should get off his back, I'm 100%  sure that of we'd have had another striker or two he'd have spent a period of this season out on loan to keep him playing and ideally scoring. Mos supporters have been calling for the manager to invest trust in youth sometimes it will work sometimes it won't when people are developing.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
sonofmadeleymariner
January 19, 2019, 6:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Today he had a shocker, never won anything in the air, had one moment where he had a half decent dribble down the left flank that came to nothing and pressed the keeper a coulpe of times that was it for him today. I think theres a player in there but maybe we need to bring someone in at least for the season and send him out on loan to a lower league club for him to find his feet and build some confidence by banging in a few goals.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2019, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He's a young player learning his trade so people should get off his back, I'm 100%  sure that of we'd have had another striker or two he'd have spent a period of this season out on loan to keep him playing and ideally scoring.

All hypothetical. If he is playing for us he should contribute something, anything. Vernam and A. Rose should be ahead of him to start.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2019, 6:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,389
Gold Stars: 170
Today he had a shocker, never won anything in the air, had one moment where he had a half decent dribble down the left flank that came to nothing and pressed the keeper a coulpe of times that was it for him today. I think theres a player in there but maybe we need to bring someone in at least for the season and send him out on loan to a lower league club for him to find his feet and build some confidence by banging in a few goals.

In the same we have JJ??... I've said it before, he isn't of league 2 quality...at 22 he should know his trade...at 20 I came out of time as a fitter and had to do my job to the same level as men with 30 years more experience than myself...simply put, we need better, until then it's going to be very losing games for us...that's if we manage to score again at this bloody rate.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
Hagrid
January 19, 2019, 6:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 508
People arent “on his back”. But folk are allowed an opinion and mine is he isnt good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He's a young player learning his trade so people should get off his back, I'm 100%  sure that of we'd have had another striker or two he'd have spent a period of this season out on loan to keep him playing and ideally scoring. Mos supporters have been calling for the manager to invest trust in youth sometimes it will work sometimes it won't when people are developing.  

Without wishing to sound unkind, he looks no better now than he did 18 months ago and if we can't afford better than him, we will spend more time looking down than up.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
Bigdog
January 19, 2019, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

All hypothetical. If he is playing for us he should contribute something, anything. Vernam and A. Rose should be ahead of him to start.

Agree with this. Think MJ tried to match them physically rather than chancing that Vernam's running with the ball or Ahkeem's pace would provide more of a threat. See Cardwell as more of a back up to Thomas at this present moment in time and we'd have been better served by Vernam playing alongside Embleton in the hole..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 19, 2019, 6:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with this. Think MJ tried to match them physically rather than chancing that Vernam's running with the ball or Ahkeem's pace would provide more of a threat. See Cardwell as more of a back up to Thomas at this present moment in time and we'd have been better served by Vernam playing alongside Embleton in the hole..

I'll say it again, I think akheem rose is the ideal partner for thomas and the way we play, don't see why we can't just give him a run of games if we havn't got a new striker. He's the same age as clifton, embleton and famewo, deserves the chance to be part of the plan, start a few games not just one, and see if he can make a difference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
marinerjase
January 19, 2019, 6:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,608
Gold Stars: 146
It’s not just up front that the problem lies - take Embleton out (not here after season end) and Clifton for his energy - then there’s no creative element in the side. Little or no service to strikers barring long ball. Get the building a side bit - takes time - and defensively looking ok (not brilliant but ok) - but we’ll need a big improvement in place for next season midfield onwards. Been an age old problem, creating opportunities. Think you either go in defensive mould and rely on nicking a goal and holding on, or just go sod it and take the game to opponents, home and away. To do that we need a bright spark in the middle, the energy of Clifton and two players wide to go at players, in the mould of Gilbert and Childs. Yes-games changed, but emphasis still the same - to win games score more than the opposition. Just my opinion and its a work in progress, reckon we’re 40% of the way to having a side to push for a play off place next season.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I'll say it again, I think akheem rose is the ideal partner for thomas and the way we play, don't see why we can't just give him a run of games if we havn't got a new striker. He's the same age as clifton, embleton and famewo, deserves the chance to be part of the plan, start a few games not just one, and see if he can make a difference

Just to re-iterate (and agree, to a point) that if a young lad who has barely started at this level is seen as a better option, that probably says all you need to know about Harry Cardwell.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
jonnyboy82
January 19, 2019, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
He tries hard.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2019, 6:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
He tries hard.

I don't even agree with that to be honest.

He is one of those infuriating players who runs faster after lost causes than when he has a genuine chance of getting the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
fiveallive
January 19, 2019, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Last season I rated Cardwell near the end ran the channels did well, but since his injury he hasn't been the same, Akheem Rose should have come on before the 83rd min.

In Cardwell's defence the forwards have no width, no crosses coming in the box, its frustrating a player like Max Wright natural winger out on loan.

I don't know why Jordan Cook not getting a look in either, he started well the start of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
Mariner_501
January 19, 2019, 7:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 27
Was very surprised to see him get a new deal tbh
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
sonofmadeleymariner
January 19, 2019, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

In the same we have JJ??... I've said it before, he isn't of league 2 quality...at 22 he should know his trade...at 20 I came out of time as a fitter and had to do my job to the same level as men with 30 years more experience than myself...simply put, we need better, until then it's going to be very losing games for us...that's if we manage to score again at this bloody rate.  

I never saw a footballer in Hooper and said from the moment we got him he wasn't going to be good enough and shipping him out on loan was getting rid of dead wood. If you look at Cardwell untill he came to us he never played much senior football I think it was something like 11 or 12 games and I don't think he's even played 20 games for us either. Hooper had played 80 odd times for Vale and probably about 30 or 40 for us. It sometimes takes players a little longer to find their feet at the senior level look at Jamie Vardy wasn't he about 27 before he signed for Halifax? I do think playing games at a lower level would help Cardwell especially if he could get a full season under his belt and if it doesn't work it doesn't work there are thousands of youth players who are never able to make the jump hopefully Cardwell is.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
friskneymariner
January 19, 2019, 7:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
For how much longer are we not going to address the problem of not bringing a decent striker?,same issue season after season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2019, 8:01pm
Whiskey Drinker

I never saw a footballer in Hooper and said from the moment we got him he wasn't going to be good enough and shipping him out on loan was getting rid of dead wood. If you look at Cardwell untill he came to us he never played much senior football I think it was something like 11 or 12 games and I don't think he's even played 20 games for us either. Hooper had played 80 odd times for Vale and probably about 30 or 40 for us. It sometimes takes players a little longer to find their feet at the senior level look at Jamie Vardy wasn't he about 27 before he signed for Halifax? I do think playing games at a lower level would help Cardwell especially if he could get a full season under his belt and if it doesn't work it doesn't work there are thousands of youth players who are never able to make the jump hopefully Cardwell is.

I completely get your sentiments but I don't see Cardwell developing into a decent player and that's my concern..I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I just think his natural ability is a league below what we need.
Whereas you look at Akheem and he does have the ability but really needs to polish up his first touch....
Just have to wait n see what the future holds for Cardwell but at this moment in time we cannot afford to "wait and see" we need better up front than what we have...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
quebec38
January 19, 2019, 8:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Not the best performance today and it’s been obvious for a while he’s not a goal scorer at least at this level, but to say the guy has no desire is extremely harsh.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
headingly_mariner
January 19, 2019, 8:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Do we really need threads that hammer individual players.
He needs developing and his pro career is very much at the beginning. Needs to make more use of his great physical attributes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Do we really need threads that hammer individual players.
He needs developing and his pro career is very much at the beginning. Needs to make more use of his great physical attributes

I don't believe that saying he's not good enough is 'hammering' him. The fact that he gets picked says more about our budget & recruitment to me. I don't see him as any better than JJ who, at least, has a shot on him ( and I don't rate JJ either).
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
wigworld
January 19, 2019, 8:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
I somewhat agree with comments. I think he's one for the future, but that future will only happen if he gets game time.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 58
Mariner_09
January 19, 2019, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
The services he received today was very poor to non-existent. He's a young lad learning the game with very, very few starts to his name even for a 22 year old. He's never going to be a prolific goal scorer but he works his socks off and harries the opponents a great deal more than most strikers I've seen play for us. He had absolutely nothing into his feet, which he needs and very little in behind for him to run onto, something else he needs. He's raw and limited but can be nurtured into a very good lower league striker I think.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2019, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Cardwell was never going to win anything feeding off scraps against giant defenders.

When we ran at them we caused problems.  We missed the energy Clifton provides today and Mitch Rose looked off the pace and too slow in possession.

Öhman is going to become a firm fans favourite for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I completely get your sentiments but I don't see Cardwell developing into a decent player and that's my concern..I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I just think his natural ability is a league below what we need.
Whereas you look at Akheem and he does have the ability but really needs to polish up his first touch....
Just have to wait n see what the future holds for Cardwell but at this moment in time we cannot afford to "wait and see" we need better up front than what we have...

Not sure you can appraise/compare Akheem to be honest as we’ve only seen him in glimpses. I’d like to see him start at some point soon but he looks like he needs to play off a hold/link up man.

The reality is that the budget dictates we have Wes and a few youngsters and when you suppress and pin back our mid field we are less of a threat.

Cardwell has something check our Embeleton’s goal versus Tranmere.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
TAGG
January 19, 2019, 9:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
He’s a young lad.
Get off his back and give him a chance.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2019, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
He’s a young lad.
Get off his back and give him a chance.

Sorry TAGG but it's not about being on his back... it's about wanting the best for our club and team and at the moment he ain't doing it for us. .No doubt we all want him to produce and grow into a good striker but we ain't got the time to facilitate that, we are not scoring goals nor creating the opportunities...as I've eluded to already, at this moment in time we need better...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
golfer
January 19, 2019, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
The only decent striker we have is Thomas. To be honest I can't see any other striker on the books being beneficial to us now or in the future. It is now a matter of urgency that we get somebody to work alongside Thomas. There must be somebody out there,whether permanent signings or a loanee from a higher club wanting experience. It has been our weakness for far too long and needs sorting. January is 2/3 rds over and it doesn't sound as if anything is in the pipeline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
chaos33
January 19, 2019, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Not seen anything to make me think he's good enough to play league football and very surprised his contract was extended.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2019, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
He could have scored today if Toffolo wasn't giving him a bear hug.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
oochiad
January 19, 2019, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Vernam or Rose should play before him. He’s not enough of a threat and doesn’t worry the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 19, 2019, 10:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
The only decent striker we have is Thomas. To be honest I can't see any other striker on the books being beneficial to us now or in the future. It is now a matter of urgency that we get somebody to work alongside Thomas. There must be somebody out there,whether permanent signings or a loanee from a higher club wanting experience. It has been our weakness for far too long and needs sorting. January is 2/3 rds over and it doesn't sound as if anything is in the pipeline.

Absolutely. If the situation is not remedied ASAP we could be in deep sh!te next month. The other worry of course is whether the side is playing in a way that will create chances for any striker. Playing deep is OK as long as you have fit and pacy players to get into the gaps left by your opponents and then into the box.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 10:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
If as people are saying he's not good enough then it should be the manager who gets stick for playing him rater than the player himself.

Personally I think that singling out a player after a defeat is a pretty cheap shot, maybe though if thats the form people should pinpoint who let Toffolo get a shot at goal today?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If as people are saying he's not good enough then it should be the manager who gets stick for playing him rater than the player himself.

Personally I think that singling out a player after a defeat is a pretty cheap shot, maybe though if thats the form people should pinpoint who let Toffolo get a shot at goal today?

Point I made earlier is that it’s a symptom of our budget & recruitment. The manager and the board knows whether it’s one, the other,or both. No fault of Harry Cardwell, but we need better.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Point I made earlier is that it’s a symptom of our budget & recruitment. The manager and the board knows whether it’s one, the other,or both. No fault of Harry Cardwell, but we need better.

I’d completely agree with this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
grimsby pete
January 19, 2019, 10:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree the problem is a proven striker costs a lot of money and even if you get one on a free their wages will be higher,

Our non chairman does not like to spend money.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
ginnywings
January 19, 2019, 10:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Two ways of looking at it. Lincoln currently have twice as many fans as us and loads of cup money. We can't compete with them. Pretty sure we can't compete with Crystal Palace, and it's well known that Mansfield are being well funded at the moment. So there's only really the Macc result lately that is open to the budget debate. That was just a bad day at the office, and a cup hangover with a depleted squad. We are about to play 2 more teams, who i have no doubt have much bigger budgets than us, and we could quite easily lose both of them too.

As for Cardwell, he may or may not make it in the game at this level, but the manager thinks he is worth a bit longer to find out, which is fair enough. Too early to tell for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
LH
January 19, 2019, 10:56pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I’m pretty confident that nearly every club we’ll play this season has a better playing budget than us.

With respect to Cardwell I don’t see it myself but trust MJ and AL’s judgment for the decision for the new contract. Was it a new contract for coachability or was it a change of terms because he’s featuring more regularly? I doubt we’ll find out but I can see both sides of that coin and why both parties would want it sorting.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
promotion plaice
January 19, 2019, 11:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

I hate threads like this that target certain players for criticism.....his confidence will be shot if he reads the fishy tonight  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
grimsby pete
January 19, 2019, 11:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from promotion plaice

I hate threads like this that target certain players for criticism.....his confidence will be shot if he reads the fishy tonight  

Totally agree he is still young and learning his trade,

All this criticism will not be making him a better  player,

Loads on here called Andy Cook look where he is today.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 11:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

I’d be amazed if he actually knew The Fishy exists, I’m sure he had better things to do with his Saturday nights!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Zmariner
January 19, 2019, 11:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
Offensively we are rubbish. The statistics over the full season show this. Okay Cardwell was not great today but he has had some decent games and absolutely gives his best. Finding strikers is the hardest part and I see that Jolley is creating a strong spine to this team but is struggling as have previous managers to find creativity. I do hope he brings in a winger that can’t beat a man and a bigger forward and it is certainly much easier to bring the winner in utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
Mrs Doyle
January 20, 2019, 7:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thomas was no better to be fair the service and type of service were once again woeful.

Against experienced big central defenders we just don't have any ideas resulting in the aimless hoof that sail over everybody's heads.

The midfield seems to have NO creativity was so ever so to just blame one striker seems very harsh, strikers need a decent supply.

If the end of last year was promising (we were making plenty of chances) January has brought all that crashing back down to earth.

Sorry but survival looks more likely than mid-table obscurity and playoffs forget it.

One thing that we cannot accuse ANY PLAYER of is lack of effort and that maybe the thing that saves us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
Bigdog
January 20, 2019, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Thomas was no better to be fair the service and type of service were once again woeful.

Against experienced big central defenders we just don't have any ideas resulting in the aimless hoof that sail over everybody's heads.

The midfield seems to have NO creativity was so ever so to just blame one striker seems very harsh, strikers need a decent supply.

If the end of last year was promising (we were making plenty of chances) January has brought all that crashing back down to earth.

Sorry but survival looks more likely than mid-table obscurity and playoffs forget it.

One thing that we cannot accuse ANY PLAYER of is lack of effort and that maybe the thing that saves us.

Overall I thought Lincoln's midfield five were sharper than ours in closing down space which denied us the time to be creative and pick a pass. It seemed like Lincoln came out of the traps too fast and ran out of gas for the twenty minutes before half time which gave us more time and space to play. I'm pretty sure Cowley would have told them at half time to measure their effort in the second half and ensure it that it didn't happen again towards the end of the game. We missed Clifton's energy, and as he can go for a full 90 minutes, he could have made a real difference in the game yesterday as O'Connor and Frecklington are no spring chickens and in my opinion are the weakest part of their team due to their relative lack of mobility. We just didn't have the ammo in there to exploit it like we did in the game at BP. We have to win the right to be creative and other than the 20 minutes before half time.. we didn't..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 20, 2019, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Wasn't sure of the stats but just checked - we've only had 4 shots on target in our last 3 league games. Whatever our budget is, that's clearly not going to win many games and we'll soon be looking down again rather than up.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
January 20, 2019, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
To posters who think I am being too harsh on Cardwell, consider that this is professional footballers who live and die by their displays on the pitch.

Well deserved criticism on a message board is not going to hurt him, nor I accept,  make him play any better.

The point sticks though. Has anyone seen the remotest reason why he should start ahead of Vernam, Cook or A.Rose?

It could be that his greater physical presence is giving him the nod, but he is not using his height and bulk to any advantage whatsoever.

Personally, I am at a loss why we have given him a longer contract but if there is an effective player in there he ought to be showing it now aged 22.

I think he has scored one senior goal - a tap in - and when a team is so desperate for goals it doesn't make any sense.

If we are never going to be able to afford to pay the wages for goalscoring forwards then we will have a perpetual problem which of course is outside the remit of Jolley or indeed Cardwell.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Wasn't sure of the stats but just checked - we've only had 4 shots on target in our last 3 league games. Whatever our budget is, that's clearly not going to win many games and we'll soon be looking down again rather than up.

Prior to Mansfield on New Years Day we scored 11 goals in 3 home games with a relatively settled side since then with injuries and suspensions etc.. we've had real disruption and this has been at a time when we've played 3 decent teams and a team fighting for their lives.

Though we need a better partner for Thomas I feel the issues come from mid field as the service the strikers have been getting has been pretty poor so I get why we went 3-5-2 yesterday if it allowed the FB's to press on and the midfield to get further up the pitch.

Personally I think our season turned a corner away at Carlisle when we went 4-3-3 in the first half maybe that's the answer who knows but a front 3 of Thomas Verman and Embelton would in my mind be more dangerous.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
gytone
January 20, 2019, 11:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
I quite like Cardwell and agree there is sone potential within him, but i think i would've kept Jamille Matt instead, bit confused as why we never offered him a contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
Swansea_Mariner
January 20, 2019, 1:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from friskneymariner
For how much longer are we not going to address the problem of not bringing a decent striker?,same issue season after season.

I'd hardly say its season  after season in the last decade we've had Boggle, Amond, Connel, Hearn and Elding who have all been quality, and Hannah and LJL weren't too shabby either, (going back a bit further Ready and Jones). I'd be more inclined to say our problems over the last couple of decades have stemmed more from the middle of the park than up top. After Disley you are really scratching around for any extended quality in the centre of the park. Nolan (briefly) and going back a bit Bolland but we've been a much of a muchness there for a long time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 20, 2019, 6:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Prior to Mansfield on New Years Day we scored 11 goals in 3 home games with a relatively settled side since then with injuries and suspensions etc.. we've had real disruption and this has been at a time when we've played 3 decent teams and a team fighting for their lives.

Though we need a better partner for Thomas I feel the issues come from mid field as the service the strikers have been getting has been pretty poor so I get why we went 3-5-2 yesterday if it allowed the FB's to press on and the midfield to get further up the pitch.

Personally I think our season turned a corner away at Carlisle when we went 4-3-3 in the first half maybe that's the answer who knows but a front 3 of Thomas Verman and Embelton would in my mind be more dangerous.

Of the players available wouldn't  A. Rose figure in your thinking? He has pace and looks a more likely finisher than any of these three.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Of the players available wouldn't  A. Rose figure in your thinking? He has pace and looks a more likely finisher than any of these three.

Yes but other than scoring that late winner the other week there’s nothing to suggest he’d start ahead of Thomas, Verman and Embleton in a 3.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 20, 2019, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes but other than scoring that late winner the other week there’s nothing to suggest he’d start ahead of Thomas, Verman and Embleton in a 3.

Well he hasn't had many opportunities has he? He won a penalty the other week as well the goal you mention and he has that great gift of pace. I agree he is green and needs time but if we are to play a 2 or a 3 at the front surely he is worth a pop for more minutes then he's getting just now.

TBH I don't know if he would be the answer but the others have all had a fair go and here we are with our 360 goal less minutes.

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Well he hasn't had many opportunities has he? He won a penalty the other week as well the goal you mention and he has that great gift of pace. I agree he is green and needs time but if we are to play a 2 or a 3 at the front surely he is worth a pop for more minutes then he's getting just now.

TBH I don't know if he would be the answer but the others have all had a fair go and here we are with our 360 goal less minutes.

Don’t disagree I’d like to see him start soon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
diehardmariner
January 21, 2019, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
For those calling for A.Rose, he had an absolute stinker for the reserves last week.  Couldn't control it, couldn't pass it, couldn't do anything right.  The lad Burrell absolutely showed him up in terms of desire and work-rate.  

Cardwell and Thomas just had bad games on Saturday.  We need alternative options and I'd be amazed if another striker isn't on Jolley's January shopping list, but to single the lad out is a bit needless in my opinion.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
monkeyboy
January 21, 2019, 12:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Cardwell could well be a great finisher, could the same for all our strikers. if the service aint there no girl private gonna score.

Service needs improving. simples.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
rancido
January 21, 2019, 1:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't believe that saying he's not good enough is 'hammering' him. The fact that he gets picked says more about our budget & recruitment to me. I don't see him as any better than JJ who, at least, has a shot on him ( and I don't rate JJ either).

The fact that he gets picked says more about how MJ rates him than anything else to me. Didn't MJ extend his contract in the summer?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.