6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2019, 8:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171

I never saw a footballer in Hooper and said from the moment we got him he wasn't going to be good enough and shipping him out on loan was getting rid of dead wood. If you look at Cardwell untill he came to us he never played much senior football I think it was something like 11 or 12 games and I don't think he's even played 20 games for us either. Hooper had played 80 odd times for Vale and probably about 30 or 40 for us. It sometimes takes players a little longer to find their feet at the senior level look at Jamie Vardy wasn't he about 27 before he signed for Halifax? I do think playing games at a lower level would help Cardwell especially if he could get a full season under his belt and if it doesn't work it doesn't work there are thousands of youth players who are never able to make the jump hopefully Cardwell is.

I completely get your sentiments but I don't see Cardwell developing into a decent player and that's my concern..I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I just think his natural ability is a league below what we need.
Whereas you look at Akheem and he does have the ability but really needs to polish up his first touch....
Just have to wait n see what the future holds for Cardwell but at this moment in time we cannot afford to "wait and see" we need better up front than what we have...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
quebec38
January 19, 2019, 8:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Not the best performance today and it’s been obvious for a while he’s not a goal scorer at least at this level, but to say the guy has no desire is extremely harsh.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
headingly_mariner
January 19, 2019, 8:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Do we really need threads that hammer individual players.
He needs developing and his pro career is very much at the beginning. Needs to make more use of his great physical attributes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 8:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Do we really need threads that hammer individual players.
He needs developing and his pro career is very much at the beginning. Needs to make more use of his great physical attributes

I don't believe that saying he's not good enough is 'hammering' him. The fact that he gets picked says more about our budget & recruitment to me. I don't see him as any better than JJ who, at least, has a shot on him ( and I don't rate JJ either).
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
wigworld
January 19, 2019, 8:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I somewhat agree with comments. I think he's one for the future, but that future will only happen if he gets game time.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 58
Mariner_09
January 19, 2019, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
The services he received today was very poor to non-existent. He's a young lad learning the game with very, very few starts to his name even for a 22 year old. He's never going to be a prolific goal scorer but he works his socks off and harries the opponents a great deal more than most strikers I've seen play for us. He had absolutely nothing into his feet, which he needs and very little in behind for him to run onto, something else he needs. He's raw and limited but can be nurtured into a very good lower league striker I think.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2019, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,947
Gold Stars: 190
Cardwell was never going to win anything feeding off scraps against giant defenders.

When we ran at them we caused problems.  We missed the energy Clifton provides today and Mitch Rose looked off the pace and too slow in possession.

Öhman is going to become a firm fans favourite for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I completely get your sentiments but I don't see Cardwell developing into a decent player and that's my concern..I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I just think his natural ability is a league below what we need.
Whereas you look at Akheem and he does have the ability but really needs to polish up his first touch....
Just have to wait n see what the future holds for Cardwell but at this moment in time we cannot afford to "wait and see" we need better up front than what we have...

Not sure you can appraise/compare Akheem to be honest as we’ve only seen him in glimpses. I’d like to see him start at some point soon but he looks like he needs to play off a hold/link up man.

The reality is that the budget dictates we have Wes and a few youngsters and when you suppress and pin back our mid field we are less of a threat.

Cardwell has something check our Embeleton’s goal versus Tranmere.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
TAGG
January 19, 2019, 9:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
He’s a young lad.
Get off his back and give him a chance.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2019, 9:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from TAGG
He’s a young lad.
Get off his back and give him a chance.

Sorry TAGG but it's not about being on his back... it's about wanting the best for our club and team and at the moment he ain't doing it for us. .No doubt we all want him to produce and grow into a good striker but we ain't got the time to facilitate that, we are not scoring goals nor creating the opportunities...as I've eluded to already, at this moment in time we need better...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry Cardwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.