6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
January 19, 2019, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

All hypothetical. If he is playing for us he should contribute something, anything. Vernam and A. Rose should be ahead of him to start.

Agree with this. Think MJ tried to match them physically rather than chancing that Vernam's running with the ball or Ahkeem's pace would provide more of a threat. See Cardwell as more of a back up to Thomas at this present moment in time and we'd have been better served by Vernam playing alongside Embleton in the hole..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 19, 2019, 6:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with this. Think MJ tried to match them physically rather than chancing that Vernam's running with the ball or Ahkeem's pace would provide more of a threat. See Cardwell as more of a back up to Thomas at this present moment in time and we'd have been better served by Vernam playing alongside Embleton in the hole..

I'll say it again, I think akheem rose is the ideal partner for thomas and the way we play, don't see why we can't just give him a run of games if we havn't got a new striker. He's the same age as clifton, embleton and famewo, deserves the chance to be part of the plan, start a few games not just one, and see if he can make a difference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
marinerjase
January 19, 2019, 6:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
It’s not just up front that the problem lies - take Embleton out (not here after season end) and Clifton for his energy - then there’s no creative element in the side. Little or no service to strikers barring long ball. Get the building a side bit - takes time - and defensively looking ok (not brilliant but ok) - but we’ll need a big improvement in place for next season midfield onwards. Been an age old problem, creating opportunities. Think you either go in defensive mould and rely on nicking a goal and holding on, or just go sod it and take the game to opponents, home and away. To do that we need a bright spark in the middle, the energy of Clifton and two players wide to go at players, in the mould of Gilbert and Childs. Yes-games changed, but emphasis still the same - to win games score more than the opposition. Just my opinion and its a work in progress, reckon we’re 40% of the way to having a side to push for a play off place next season.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235

I'll say it again, I think akheem rose is the ideal partner for thomas and the way we play, don't see why we can't just give him a run of games if we havn't got a new striker. He's the same age as clifton, embleton and famewo, deserves the chance to be part of the plan, start a few games not just one, and see if he can make a difference

Just to re-iterate (and agree, to a point) that if a young lad who has barely started at this level is seen as a better option, that probably says all you need to know about Harry Cardwell.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
jonnyboy82
January 19, 2019, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
He tries hard.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2019, 6:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jonnyboy82
He tries hard.

I don't even agree with that to be honest.

He is one of those infuriating players who runs faster after lost causes than when he has a genuine chance of getting the ball.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
fiveallive
January 19, 2019, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Last season I rated Cardwell near the end ran the channels did well, but since his injury he hasn't been the same, Akheem Rose should have come on before the 83rd min.

In Cardwell's defence the forwards have no width, no crosses coming in the box, its frustrating a player like Max Wright natural winger out on loan.

I don't know why Jordan Cook not getting a look in either, he started well the start of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
Mariner_501
January 19, 2019, 7:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Was very surprised to see him get a new deal tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
sonofmadeleymariner
January 19, 2019, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

In the same we have JJ??... I've said it before, he isn't of league 2 quality...at 22 he should know his trade...at 20 I came out of time as a fitter and had to do my job to the same level as men with 30 years more experience than myself...simply put, we need better, until then it's going to be very losing games for us...that's if we manage to score again at this bloody rate.  

I never saw a footballer in Hooper and said from the moment we got him he wasn't going to be good enough and shipping him out on loan was getting rid of dead wood. If you look at Cardwell untill he came to us he never played much senior football I think it was something like 11 or 12 games and I don't think he's even played 20 games for us either. Hooper had played 80 odd times for Vale and probably about 30 or 40 for us. It sometimes takes players a little longer to find their feet at the senior level look at Jamie Vardy wasn't he about 27 before he signed for Halifax? I do think playing games at a lower level would help Cardwell especially if he could get a full season under his belt and if it doesn't work it doesn't work there are thousands of youth players who are never able to make the jump hopefully Cardwell is.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
friskneymariner
January 19, 2019, 7:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,158
Gold Stars: 38
For how much longer are we not going to address the problem of not bringing a decent striker?,same issue season after season.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry Cardwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.