Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 366 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 40.

Harry Cardwell

This thread currently has 7,640 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
January 19, 2019, 10:56pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I’m pretty confident that nearly every club we’ll play this season has a better playing budget than us.

With respect to Cardwell I don’t see it myself but trust MJ and AL’s judgment for the decision for the new contract. Was it a new contract for coachability or was it a change of terms because he’s featuring more regularly? I doubt we’ll find out but I can see both sides of that coin and why both parties would want it sorting.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
promotion plaice
January 19, 2019, 11:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189

I hate threads like this that target certain players for criticism.....his confidence will be shot if he reads the fishy tonight  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
grimsby pete
January 19, 2019, 11:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from promotion plaice

I hate threads like this that target certain players for criticism.....his confidence will be shot if he reads the fishy tonight  

Totally agree he is still young and learning his trade,

All this criticism will not be making him a better  player,

Loads on here called Andy Cook look where he is today.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 11:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from promotion plaice

I’d be amazed if he actually knew The Fishy exists, I’m sure he had better things to do with his Saturday nights!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Zmariner
January 19, 2019, 11:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Gold Stars: 43
Offensively we are rubbish. The statistics over the full season show this. Okay Cardwell was not great today but he has had some decent games and absolutely gives his best. Finding strikers is the hardest part and I see that Jolley is creating a strong spine to this team but is struggling as have previous managers to find creativity. I do hope he brings in a winger that can’t beat a man and a bigger forward and it is certainly much easier to bring the winner in utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
Mrs Doyle
January 20, 2019, 7:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thomas was no better to be fair the service and type of service were once again woeful.

Against experienced big central defenders we just don't have any ideas resulting in the aimless hoof that sail over everybody's heads.

The midfield seems to have NO creativity was so ever so to just blame one striker seems very harsh, strikers need a decent supply.

If the end of last year was promising (we were making plenty of chances) January has brought all that crashing back down to earth.

Sorry but survival looks more likely than mid-table obscurity and playoffs forget it.

One thing that we cannot accuse ANY PLAYER of is lack of effort and that maybe the thing that saves us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
Bigdog
January 20, 2019, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Thomas was no better to be fair the service and type of service were once again woeful.

Against experienced big central defenders we just don't have any ideas resulting in the aimless hoof that sail over everybody's heads.

The midfield seems to have NO creativity was so ever so to just blame one striker seems very harsh, strikers need a decent supply.

If the end of last year was promising (we were making plenty of chances) January has brought all that crashing back down to earth.

Sorry but survival looks more likely than mid-table obscurity and playoffs forget it.

One thing that we cannot accuse ANY PLAYER of is lack of effort and that maybe the thing that saves us.

Overall I thought Lincoln's midfield five were sharper than ours in closing down space which denied us the time to be creative and pick a pass. It seemed like Lincoln came out of the traps too fast and ran out of gas for the twenty minutes before half time which gave us more time and space to play. I'm pretty sure Cowley would have told them at half time to measure their effort in the second half and ensure it that it didn't happen again towards the end of the game. We missed Clifton's energy, and as he can go for a full 90 minutes, he could have made a real difference in the game yesterday as O'Connor and Frecklington are no spring chickens and in my opinion are the weakest part of their team due to their relative lack of mobility. We just didn't have the ammo in there to exploit it like we did in the game at BP. We have to win the right to be creative and other than the 20 minutes before half time.. we didn't..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 20, 2019, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Wasn't sure of the stats but just checked - we've only had 4 shots on target in our last 3 league games. Whatever our budget is, that's clearly not going to win many games and we'll soon be looking down again rather than up.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
January 20, 2019, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
To posters who think I am being too harsh on Cardwell, consider that this is professional footballers who live and die by their displays on the pitch.

Well deserved criticism on a message board is not going to hurt him, nor I accept,  make him play any better.

The point sticks though. Has anyone seen the remotest reason why he should start ahead of Vernam, Cook or A.Rose?

It could be that his greater physical presence is giving him the nod, but he is not using his height and bulk to any advantage whatsoever.

Personally, I am at a loss why we have given him a longer contract but if there is an effective player in there he ought to be showing it now aged 22.

I think he has scored one senior goal - a tap in - and when a team is so desperate for goals it doesn't make any sense.

If we are never going to be able to afford to pay the wages for goalscoring forwards then we will have a perpetual problem which of course is outside the remit of Jolley or indeed Cardwell.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 10:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Wasn't sure of the stats but just checked - we've only had 4 shots on target in our last 3 league games. Whatever our budget is, that's clearly not going to win many games and we'll soon be looking down again rather than up.

Prior to Mansfield on New Years Day we scored 11 goals in 3 home games with a relatively settled side since then with injuries and suspensions etc.. we've had real disruption and this has been at a time when we've played 3 decent teams and a team fighting for their lives.

Though we need a better partner for Thomas I feel the issues come from mid field as the service the strikers have been getting has been pretty poor so I get why we went 3-5-2 yesterday if it allowed the FB's to press on and the midfield to get further up the pitch.

Personally I think our season turned a corner away at Carlisle when we went 4-3-3 in the first half maybe that's the answer who knows but a front 3 of Thomas Verman and Embelton would in my mind be more dangerous.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.