Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 304 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 37.

Harry Cardwell

This thread currently has 7,642 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
January 19, 2019, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,375
Gold Stars: 112
The only decent striker we have is Thomas. To be honest I can't see any other striker on the books being beneficial to us now or in the future. It is now a matter of urgency that we get somebody to work alongside Thomas. There must be somebody out there,whether permanent signings or a loanee from a higher club wanting experience. It has been our weakness for far too long and needs sorting. January is 2/3 rds over and it doesn't sound as if anything is in the pipeline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
chaos33
January 19, 2019, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,787
Gold Stars: 349
Not seen anything to make me think he's good enough to play league football and very surprised his contract was extended.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2019, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
He could have scored today if Toffolo wasn't giving him a bear hug.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
oochiad
January 19, 2019, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,647
Gold Stars: 27
Vernam or Rose should play before him. He’s not enough of a threat and doesn’t worry the opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 19, 2019, 10:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer
The only decent striker we have is Thomas. To be honest I can't see any other striker on the books being beneficial to us now or in the future. It is now a matter of urgency that we get somebody to work alongside Thomas. There must be somebody out there,whether permanent signings or a loanee from a higher club wanting experience. It has been our weakness for far too long and needs sorting. January is 2/3 rds over and it doesn't sound as if anything is in the pipeline.

Absolutely. If the situation is not remedied ASAP we could be in deep sh!te next month. The other worry of course is whether the side is playing in a way that will create chances for any striker. Playing deep is OK as long as you have fit and pacy players to get into the gaps left by your opponents and then into the box.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 10:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
If as people are saying he's not good enough then it should be the manager who gets stick for playing him rater than the player himself.

Personally I think that singling out a player after a defeat is a pretty cheap shot, maybe though if thats the form people should pinpoint who let Toffolo get a shot at goal today?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 10:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If as people are saying he's not good enough then it should be the manager who gets stick for playing him rater than the player himself.

Personally I think that singling out a player after a defeat is a pretty cheap shot, maybe though if thats the form people should pinpoint who let Toffolo get a shot at goal today?

Point I made earlier is that it’s a symptom of our budget & recruitment. The manager and the board knows whether it’s one, the other,or both. No fault of Harry Cardwell, but we need better.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Point I made earlier is that it’s a symptom of our budget & recruitment. The manager and the board knows whether it’s one, the other,or both. No fault of Harry Cardwell, but we need better.

I’d completely agree with this.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
grimsby pete
January 19, 2019, 10:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree the problem is a proven striker costs a lot of money and even if you get one on a free their wages will be higher,

Our non chairman does not like to spend money.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
ginnywings
January 19, 2019, 10:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Two ways of looking at it. Lincoln currently have twice as many fans as us and loads of cup money. We can't compete with them. Pretty sure we can't compete with Crystal Palace, and it's well known that Mansfield are being well funded at the moment. So there's only really the Macc result lately that is open to the budget debate. That was just a bad day at the office, and a cup hangover with a depleted squad. We are about to play 2 more teams, who i have no doubt have much bigger budgets than us, and we could quite easily lose both of them too.

As for Cardwell, he may or may not make it in the game at this level, but the manager thinks he is worth a bit longer to find out, which is fair enough. Too early to tell for me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.