Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › We are too nice and easy to play against,
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 356 Guests

We are too nice and easy to play against,

This thread currently has 4,394 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
January 19, 2019, 10:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
How long are you giving Jolley?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
Stadium
January 20, 2019, 10:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know I’m banging on a very old drum, but how many more seasons does this regime need?

Failure to recruit strikers has been an ongoing problem, and then when we did get one, we let him go.

Maybe start another thread with ideas for change??.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
sydney
January 20, 2019, 10:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
We do show glimmers of promise but would like to see it more often
We do work hard but sometimes like yesterday we offer very little threat going forward especially with the long ball
We missed the zip of Clifton with Hess in midfield and although Cardwell runs and runs I don’t think he is the answer
Most Lincoln fans yesterday said we looked good in patches and tried to do the right thing but they where not worried about us scoring
And we where to good to go down
Only 7 points now from relegation zone with  2 more v tuff matches this week
Think MJ demands 100% and we have young players who try bloody hard
But we just need to increase in confidence and if possible sign some quality striker from somewhere
Come on town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
January 20, 2019, 12:07pm
Guest User
Bearing in mind the many comments about our lack of funds, compared to other teams in our league and saying we need need a quality striker I would imagine that is going to be quite difficult for us to sign a striker of that ilk.

I'm guessing that there are many more teams in League 2 who are also after a quality striker, and probably these teams will have more funds that us.

Having said that, MJ's signings from Sweden look to have promise, so maybe he has a striker in mind from that neck of the woods.

A final comment.  I'm now 73 years old and have been a Town fan since 1951 and I don't get how some fans expect us to win every match, and when we don't, out come the knives.  If all our supporters could be 'supporters' through thick and thin, and look back at some really unbelievable matches that most people thought we had no chance to win, but did, so lets look forward and support and sing for the Mariners and see where it takes us this season.  I have faith in MJ, all the backroom staff and all the players, so COYT, lets av it and be the Mighty Mariners once again.
Reply: 13 - 21
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 12:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,649
Gold Stars: 217
How many teams in this league have “quality strikers” I’d suggest a handful half a dozen at best and one emerges like Stockley they get snapped up.

There is a saying “if ifs and ands where pots and pans” we’ve got what we’ve got and though we’ll finish lower mid table at best this season we have something that’s been missing for over a decade ..... a mid/long term plan. It’s very clear what Jolley is doing and IMHO he’s doing it well.

The manager will be doing everything he can to improve us up front but the reality is that we won’t be getting a L2 match fit 25 goal a season striker anytime soon.

The best we can hope for is an import, someone from U23 or non league or in fact do what we’re already doing try to develop our own.

Are we too nice to play against? Who give a sh1t in reality that means nothing.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
Bigdog
January 20, 2019, 12:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 123614
Bearing in mind the many comments about our lack of funds, compared to other teams in our league and saying we need need a quality striker I would imagine that is going to be quite difficult for us to sign a striker of that ilk.

I'm guessing that there are many more teams in League 2 who are also after a quality striker, and probably these teams will have more funds that us

Having said that, MJ's signings from Sweden look to have promise, so maybe he has a striker in mind from that neck of the woods.

A final comment.  I'm now 73 years old and have been a Town fan since 1951 and I don't get how some fans expect us to win every match, and when we don't, out come the knives.  If all our supporters could be 'supporters' through thick and thin, and look back at some really unbelievable matches that most people thought we had no chance to win, but did, so lets look forward and support and sing for the Mariners and see where it takes us this season.  I have faith in MJ, all the backroom staff and all the players, so COYT, lets av it and be the Mighty Mariners once again.

I was quite surprised to see that we've still got the seventh best home attendance average in League Two even though our support seems a little bit flat on a regular basis. Not sure why we can't compete financially, and if we can't, the reason why needs addressing. In the summer I won't be accepting this "let's get to fifty points and see what happens" defeatist line that always gets trotted out. Three years back in the EFL is time enough for the fans to expect some kind of promotion challenge next season. If in our present guise we haven't got the werewithal to fund it based on play off spot home gate income, then the powers that be need to get their thinking caps on and break that well worn cycle. We've got a sound base of a squad that needs three or four additions in key areas with that extra bit of quality, pace and physicality, playmaker, goalscorer and pace out wide. More of the same hum drum excuses and "competitive budget" lines from the board won't cut it. They've had plenty of time to sort out how to break the groundhog day of not being able to compete for better players in the summer window..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 21
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

I was quite surprised to see that we've still got the seventh best home attendance average in League Two even though our support seems a little bit flat on a regular basis. Not sure why we can't compete financially, and if we can't, the reason why needs addressing. I won't be accepting this "let's get to fifty points and see what happens" defeatist line that always gets trotted out. Three years back in the EFL is time enough for the fans to expect some kind of promotion challenge next season. If in our present guise we haven't got the werewithal to fund it based on play off spot home gate income, then the pwers that be need to get their thinking caps on. We've got a sound base of a squad that needs three or four additions in key areas with that extra bit of quality, pace and physicality, playmaker, goalscorer and pace out wide. More of the same hum drum excuses and "competitive budget" lines from the board won't cut it. They've had plenty of time to sort out how to break the groundhog day of not being able to compete for better players in the summer window..

Four managers in 3 seasons hasn’t helped.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 20, 2019, 1:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
How many teams in this league have “quality strikers” I’d suggest a handful half a dozen at best and one emerges like Stockley they get snapped up.

There is a saying “if ifs and ands where pots and pans” we’ve got what we’ve got and though we’ll finish lower mid table at best this season we have something that’s been missing for over a decade ..... a mid/long term plan. It’s very clear what Jolley is doing and IMHO he’s doing it well.

The manager will be doing everything he can to improve us up front but the reality is that we won’t be getting a L2 match fit 25 goal a season striker anytime soon.

The best we can hope for is an import, someone from U23 or non league or in fact do what we’re already doing try to develop our own.

Are we too nice to play against? Who give a sh1t in reality that means nothing.

I do think we are easy meat for any side with a half decent midfield. We defend well but apart from some patches in some games we have been very poor going forward. At times it has been reminiscent of Hurst’s days, sinking deeper and deeper and just letting sides dominate us. The way we play is part of the problem.

The other part? Yes we do need a reliable striker. Just looking at the highlights from yesterday. Twice we had the ball pinging around their 6 yard box first half just ready for a proper striker to get his backside or something end on it and over the line.  I think there is too much acceptance that strikers always cost a fortune. Some do, some don’t. How much was Podge?

But just going back to the way we play, the manager is hanging his hat on 3-5-2 but we don’t have a 2, 1 and a bit at the most. And the 5 does not get enough players in the box often enough. Clifton is perhaps an honourable exception, otherwise we are much more 5-3-2 or even 8-0-2 at times.

All this “work in progress” hopeful talk is not going to be much good in the National League. Work in progress is fine but we need points in the meantime. However it is looked at and however many excuses are made about the budgets and quality of the oppositions, 360 minutes  without a goal does not lie.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2019, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker

I do think we are easy meat for any side with a half decent midfield. We defend well but apart from some patches in some games we have been very poor going forward. At times it has been reminiscent of Hurst’s days, sinking deeper and deeper and just letting sides dominate us. The way we play is part of the problem.

The other part? Yes we do need a reliable striker. Just looking at the highlights from yesterday. Twice we had the ball pinging around their 6 yard box first half just ready for a proper striker to get his backside or something end on it and over the line.  I think there is too much acceptance that strikers always cost a fortune. Some do, some don’t. How much was Podge?

But just going back to the way we play, the manager is hanging his hat on 3-5-2 but we don’t have a 2, 1 and a bit at the most. And the 5 does not get enough players in the box often enough. Clifton is perhaps an honourable exception, otherwise we are much more 5-3-2 or even 8-0-2 at times.

All this “work in progress” hopeful talk is not going to be much good in the National League. Work in progress is fine but we need points in the meantime. However it is looked at and however many excuses are made about the budgets and quality of the oppositions, 360 minutes  without a goal does not lie.

Do you really think we’ll get relegated?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
Ipswin
January 20, 2019, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from chaos33
How long are you giving Jolley?

I think a lot depends on how many more games we lose on the trot (up to 4 now although some won't want to include Palace) and how many more matches where we fail to score.
At the moment only a 0-0 will break the losing habit

Jolley is well into his transfer window so no excuses  and it's important therefore that the new players fit in (and make a difference) asap

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › We are too nice and easy to play against,

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.