This thread currently has 18,753 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
itsnotcoditshaddock
January 19, 2019, 10:44pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Felt we were worth a point over the whole match, however we need to create more chances if we are to get back into games like this. Would like Vernam or Rose to get a few starts up front.

Also would just like to add that every single one of Toffolos throw ins were “foul throws”. Stood half a yard on the pitch for most of them (including the one just before they got the corner they score from).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 99
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2019, 10:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yes,they’re ahead of us with their development but they were non league two years ago. They’ve kicked on , we haven’t....sound familiar?

Multiple Investors creating a large cash flow buffer, lucky cup draws, cup wins versus teams who are “focusing on the league” TV money on the back of all that and a manager who’s a media whore no wonder they’ve “kicked on”!

Lots of things have clicked to provide them with the budget to win this league. They only have a couple of lads on long term deals so when they go up their financial commitments will inevitably increase but their gates won’t so like the Scunts they’ll need propping up by directors to kick on again.

Time will only tell whether their growth is sustainable or not.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 99
LH
January 19, 2019, 11:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Back hours ago. Poor contest but I don’t expect much from derby games in an aesthetical sense. Don’t think Dean got much wrong other than the ‘robust’ aerial duels he gave yellows for. Not much consistency with his bookings for time wasting though because their keeper should have gone off for a second yellow for the same offence. He is good value though I’ll give him that - he would have been brilliant in the old silent black and white films for his facial expressions.

We didn’t threaten them at all really other than the one their keeper nearly threw in and they didn’t need to move up to second gear at all after their goal. We have five (?) strikers on our books but as others have said it is undoubtedly our weak point. For various reasons this is not an easy position for us to fill but we won’t progress until it is addressed.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 99
AdamHaddock
January 19, 2019, 11:10pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
I'd give the young lad Burrell a go in the next game, even if it's just from the bench. Looked mobile and lively in the reserves the other day

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 99
Davec
January 20, 2019, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

Totally agree.  He insisted on that formation at his previous club, they got relegated.  When he came here, he started with that formation and we kept on losing.  It was not until he went 4 4 2 that we started getting results.

We have now played 4 games in January, not scored a single goal, not got a single point, all under the 3 5 2 formation.  Coincidence?  I think not

Have you been to any of the 3 previous games in January? Apart from yesterday we haven't played 3-5-2 since first game of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 99
Abdul19
January 20, 2019, 7:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
360 minutes without a goal. Is this a record?

Yep. Longest run since September.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 99
golfer
January 20, 2019, 9:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Is it true that Lincoln have signed a Spanish midfielder and a Welsh striker? El Bow and Dai Vincunt.

Source please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 99
Northbank Mariner
January 20, 2019, 9:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
If we are going to play 3-5-2 why the fr!g do Thomas and Cardwell come out wide to collect the ball....??...surely the idea is to have your wing backs bomb forward and your 2 front men to be in the box to accept the cross...
I have to say MJ obviously wants to go this way but I'm just not convinced it's a formation that will reap real success in league 2...
Young manager wanting to play modern football in a league that is old school....maybe he needs to have a rethink, get stability through the squad, be contented with mid table this season then push for promotion/play offs next season...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 99
KingstonMariner
January 20, 2019, 9:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

Source please.

It was that well-known journalist May Dupp.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 99
Helgy
January 20, 2019, 9:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from ginnywings

I didn't mean a striker necessarily, although i do think we need another experienced striker on the books, to cover/assist the usually excellent Thomas. We've not got much experience up top after Thomas. I think we are lacking in players who can create chances, especially in wide areas. The move back to wing backs for us has come as no surprise, and to be fair, we are still tinkering with players and formations, looking to get the right blend.

I think a lot of posts on here about us sitting too deep and not creating anything are a bit skewed. Teams like Lincoln, and most sides at the top end of any league, will push other teams back, even more so at home, and it's why they are at the top end of the league. It's ok saying we should push up more, but when you are playing a better side, which Lincoln are, then that is easier said than done.

We've had a horrendous run of injuries and suspensions, quickly followed by a very tough run of fixtures. We are also blending new players into the team, and changing formation at the same time. I think it will be a rough few weeks before we start to hit our straps again. I didn't panic when we had that losing run, and i didn't get too excited when we had a good winning run. This season is about building the squad and the team, and there will be ups and downs along the way.

If you had pushed up too much and we would have hit you on the break more
You need pace in this division wingers than can unlock the defences ,we are hard to break down and will press to try to make teams made mistakes.
So it was hard for you to get at us because of the way we are set up,
Carlisle did us using pace & some neat football.

January window is the toughest ,teams don't want to sell their best players ,prices can be over inflated ,then add agents to the mix.

Getting that player in that will gel straight away isnt easy ,we had a few signings that took time to bed in last January.
Things can take time to blend together its not like Jolly is Russell Slade who was clueless.

Football has changed since we were out of the league ,if we go up to L1 then we will need investment to be able to compete in that league.

You have to have blind faith its part of being a fan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.