Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 146 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 38.

Just back

This thread currently has 18,689 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
January 19, 2019, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,372
Gold Stars: 111
First off i thought it was a definite foul-looking again Dean's a twatt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 99
sonofmadeleymariner
January 19, 2019, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Why oh why oh why were we sat so deep today when we proved in the home leg (and at times today) that if you harrass Lincoln and press on the back 4 they are just as average as the rest of this league. We had 5 at the back get Cardwell, Thomas and a couple of the midfield pressing and rushing the Gimps into making mistakes.

I think the game today showed we are missing a shop or lump Jones style striker, someone to aim at when we have to pump the ball forward, but again that player would be wasted if our midifeld keeps sitting so deep. At one point in the match today Cardwell and Thomas were about 5 yards outside Lincolns box and the rest of the team were behind the half way line.

Thomas and Cardwell were too far apart at times as well so even if either of them did win the ball they couldn't support each other.

If we are going to be playing 532 for the rest of the season, Ring and Hendrie (not so much Hendrie) need to stay wider and create some width Ring especially drifted in far too many times (which cause problems defenisvely and we got caught out a few times), we can't have Whitmore and Davies being the ones wipping crosses in on the overlap as they should be covering for the wingbacks on possible counter attacks.

I loved the way the Gimps keeper was distributing the ball sometimes, long but low punts into the wide spaces to Akinde-Pen its something maybe we should be looking at especially without a recognised aerial threat up front to head the ball (I feel all dirty now after typing that).

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 99
Bristol Mariner
January 19, 2019, 7:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Yoda
Another toothless display we are too nice and too short.
Could be another winless run.

Don’t go then!

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 99
Jarmo.Is.God
January 19, 2019, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Time for Thomas and Vernam to play together for a few games, both good players IMO and both can score goals, but I agree, we need something else as Cardwell and Rose not great
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 99
KingstonMariner
January 19, 2019, 9:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Is it true that Lincoln have signed a Spanish midfielder and a Welsh striker? El Bow and Dai Vincunt.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 99
ginnywings
January 19, 2019, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Helgy
Ginnywings
Would striker solve it ,we are hard to break down thought your lad should have scored when he turned in the area but the shot flashed wide.
It’s more having that player with the ability to unlock defenses.
Your no5 why did he stay on for so long he kept going down several times seemed dazed it took an age to replace him?

I didn't mean a striker necessarily, although i do think we need another experienced striker on the books, to cover/assist the usually excellent Thomas. We've not got much experience up top after Thomas. I think we are lacking in players who can create chances, especially in wide areas. The move back to wing backs for us has come as no surprise, and to be fair, we are still tinkering with players and formations, looking to get the right blend.

I think a lot of posts on here about us sitting too deep and not creating anything are a bit skewed. Teams like Lincoln, and most sides at the top end of any league, will push other teams back, even more so at home, and it's why they are at the top end of the league. It's ok saying we should push up more, but when you are playing a better side, which Lincoln are, then that is easier said than done.

We've had a horrendous run of injuries and suspensions, quickly followed by a very tough run of fixtures. We are also blending new players into the team, and changing formation at the same time. I think it will be a rough few weeks before we start to hit our straps again. I didn't panic when we had that losing run, and i didn't get too excited when we had a good winning run. This season is about building the squad and the team, and there will be ups and downs along the way.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 99
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings

I didn't mean a striker necessarily, although i do think we need another experienced striker on the books, to cover/assist the usually excellent Thomas. We've not got much experience up top after Thomas. I think we are lacking in players who can create chances, especially in wide areas. The move back to wing backs for us has come as no surprise, and to be fair, we are still tinkering with players and formations, looking to get the right blend.

I think a lot of posts on here about us sitting too deep and not creating anything are a bit skewed. Teams like Lincoln, and most sides at the top end of any league, will push other teams back, even more so at home, and it's why they are at the top end of the league. It's ok saying we should push up more, but when you are playing a better side, which Lincoln are, then that is easier said than done.

We've had a horrendous run of injuries and suspensions, quickly followed by a very tough run of fixtures. We are also blending new players into the team, and changing formation at the same time. I think it will be a rough few weeks before we start to hit our straps again. I didn't panic when we had that losing run, and i didn't get too excited when we had a good winning run. This season is about building the squad and the team, and there will be ups and downs along the way.

God I wish I had your patience. I’m frankly fed up with Grimsby Town playing second fiddle to the likes of Lincoln and others.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 99
ginnywings
January 19, 2019, 10:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from MuddyWaters

God I wish I had your patience. I’m frankly fed up with Grimsby Town playing second fiddle to the likes of Lincoln and others.

I'm as impatient and fed up as the next fan. God knows i've been waiting long enough to see a side that looks capable of going places, but what else can we do, other than keep waiting and keep hoping we finally have the right manager in place?

Yeah, it hurts to lose to Lincoln, but they are at least a season or more ahead of us in their development, and have way more money than we do. I didn't go to the game myself but have been told there wasn't that much in it by some that did go. Bit more experience in their ranks and they definitely got the better of the major refereeing decisions.

I'm just trying to look at it pragmatically. I've learned over the years that getting wound up about defeats is pointless, because it doesn't change anything. You either keep plodding on and hoping, or you give up and stay home. Look where Lincoln were at 3 to 4 years ago.

Patience? No.

Blind faith? Yes.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 99
promotion plaice
January 19, 2019, 10:33pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

For what it's worth I thought for the little service he got........Thomas's ball control was excellent today.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 99
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2019, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm as impatient and fed up as the next fan. God knows i've been waiting long enough to see a side that looks capable of going places, but what else can we do, other than keep waiting and keep hoping we finally have the right manager in place?

Yeah, it hurts to lose to Lincoln, but they are at least a season or more ahead of us in their development, and have way more money than we do. I didn't go to the game myself but have been told there wasn't that much in it by some that did go. Bit more experience in their ranks and they definitely got the better of the major refereeing decisions.

I'm just trying to look at it pragmatically. I've learned over the years that getting wound up about defeats is pointless, because it doesn't change anything. You either keep plodding on and hoping, or you give up and stay home. Look where Lincoln were at 3 to 4 years ago.

Patience? No.

Blind faith? Yes.

Yes,they’re ahead of us with their development but they were non league two years ago. They’ve kicked on , we haven’t....sound familiar?
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 99
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.