2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2019, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

That was Don Welbourne who I don't think was any relation. He played 200 odd games for Scunny. Duncan was born in Scunthorpe and played as an amateur in their juniors/reserves but signed as a pro for Town.

You are right about the ban though, it was when the FA was having a "clampdown" but that only applied if you were not a Div 1 player like Keegan or Bremner.

Duncan was Don's older brother and went to Watford in 1963.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 16, 2019, 5:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You are right. Memory fail there!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
Welwynmariner
January 16, 2019, 6:25pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Duncan Welbourne was a terrific player for us and I could never understand why we let him leave.

I remember the 7-1 loss to Watford which was in the autumn of 1967. I was going out with a lady from Watford and we made a point of watching the results on the teleprinter on the BBC in some TV shop window. It said

Watford 7 (seven) Grimsby 1

She took me to the nearest pub to get over the shock and disappointment.

Very sad to hear he has passed away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
golfer
January 16, 2019, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Johnny Scott and Ron Rafferty also left in 1963
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 16, 2019, 7:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from golfer

Johnny Scott and Ron Rafferty also left in 1963

Yes, both were around 30 by then. Ron had struggled with an injury and played a few games in midfield in his last season. Johnny went to York for a year but I always got the impression with Johnny that he was none to keen on the training.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Duncan Welbourne RIP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.