2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
January 15, 2019, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Fellow old farts will like me be sorry to hear that yet another childhood Town hero Duncan Welbourne has passed away

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
golfer
January 15, 2019, 3:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
So sad-knew him personally. Nearly 300 consecutive games for Watford  R.I.P.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
grimsby pete
January 15, 2019, 4:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Rip Duncan you were one of my favourites.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 15, 2019, 4:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Towards the end of the 1962-3 season injuries forced Town to field an all-home grown half back line of Duncan Welbourne, Keith Jobling and Tony Knights. A lot of locals compared this to the pre-war local greats line of  of Betmead, Hall and Buck. But anyway it worked well and Duncan became a regular.

I was only a lad at the time and could never understand why Grimsby let him go for such a paltry fee of £1300. I suppose to be fair it was overcrowding. We were endowed at the time with great midfield players like Ron Cockerill, Brian Clifton and then Bobby Ross and Ron Foster with Angus Davidson as back up. But when he went to Watford Duncan converted to full back.

Watford were a struggling team then, not much money and a poor ground but Duncan Welbourne was there through their rise up the divisions to 1973 overtaking Grimsby Town along the way. I remember they beat us 7-1 and fool that I was I went with my Watford supporting mate who thought Stuart Scullion was Jesus and Duncan Welbourne was God! I don't know about that but he was a smashing little wholehearted player. RIP Duncan.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Brazilnut
January 15, 2019, 4:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
RIP Duncan  before my time  but a Mariner

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
FishOutOfWater
January 16, 2019, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I've looked back in my "Mariners Bible" and can see his last season with us was 63-64

Before my time too but I heard the news of his passing on RH too, so here to remember another fallen Mariner

RIP Duncan  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 14
gary_elton
January 16, 2019, 2:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Remember watching him play for 3 or 4 years...  RIP Duncan... and thank you..

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
sajs
January 16, 2019, 2:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -19
didn't he get sent off with Graham Rathbone v Scunthorpe. Town scored late on and I think Rathbone got a 10 week ban dont know about Welbourne though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 16, 2019, 3:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from sajs
didn't he get sent off with Graham Rathbone v Scunthorpe. Town scored late on and I think Rathbone got a 10 week ban dont know about Welbourne though

That was Don Welbourne who I don't think was any relation. He played 200 odd games for Scunny. Duncan was born in Scunthorpe and played as an amateur in their juniors/reserves but signed as a pro for Town.

You are right about the ban though, it was when the FA was having a "clampdown" but that only applied if you were not a Div 1 player like Keegan or Bremner.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
golfer
January 16, 2019, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Beat me to it RR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Duncan Welbourne RIP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.