3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
January 14, 2019, 11:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
So this is not just a knee jerk reaction to the poor game against Mac but i have been thinking to myself what do people see in Pringle.
I mean for me i have not seen to many good performances from the lad and think as a team we are suffering for it, would young Max Wright be any worse?

For me its an area that needs improving along with a target man an a defensive mid who will let the embleton and vernam get on with creating,

Just my thoughts and im sure people will disagree about Pringle but for a Championship player doesnt half look bad value, hope we dont cover the complete wage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
marinerdazza
January 14, 2019, 11:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
He's the only one who can take a corner. Good passer of the ball too. Unfair to put him under the spotlight, they were all a bit subdued. Not surprising given the circumstances of the week before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
monkeyboy
January 14, 2019, 11:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza
He's the only one who can take a corner. Good passer of the ball too. Unfair to put him under the spotlight, they were all a bit subdued. Not surprising given the circumstances of the week before.

But its like i said it not based on that one game but since he has been here, most of the other players have bad days too but this is based over the season so far.
Not trying spotlight anyone but like anyone else i think its a weakness in the team and weakness should not be tolerated.

And you cant be in the team just for corners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
TAGG
January 14, 2019, 11:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
He is a very good player for this level.
For one thing we haven't had a player who can stick a cross in like him for years 👍
Hunting for scapegoat?????

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
marinerdazza
January 14, 2019, 11:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from monkeyboy

But its like i said it not based on that one game but since he has been here, most of the other players have bad days too but this is based over the season so far.
Not trying spotlight anyone but like anyone else i think its a weakness in the team and weakness should not be tolerated.

And you cant be in the team just for corners.

IMO, it's the only one where I've particularly noticed him being off his game. And as I've said, it's not just corners, he's a good passer of the ball too. Is regularly applauded when he comes off. If I had to pick out anything, I think he's slightly off the pace to be a winger, but if he was fast, he'd still be in the championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Croxton
January 14, 2019, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Don't know the terms of Wright's loan but with so many injuries affecting our quicker players like A Rose, Vernam, Clifton, Famewo etc. we could do with his energy right now. Watching his performances (highlights only) it does seem that Max looks after the ball well and is comfortable in possession. He can put crosses in from deep or attack the box. His recovery speed defensively helps his slower fullback too. He is not afraid to  use his left foot when needed. He may appear lightweight but challenges for his share of headers.
Well worth a few cameos if injuries continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Southwark Mariner
January 14, 2019, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Croxton
Don't know the terms of Wright's loan but with so many injuries affecting our quicker players like A Rose, Vernam, Clifton, Famewo etc. we could do with his energy right now. Watching his performances (highlights only) it does seem that Max looks after the ball well and is comfortable in possession. He can put crosses in from deep or attack the box. His recovery speed defensively helps his slower fullback too. He is not afraid to  use his left foot when needed. He may appear lightweight but challenges for his share of headers.
Well worth a few cameos if injuries continue.

Possibly a similar situation to Embleton. Maybe Jolley wants him to get as many full games possible ready for next season?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Hagrid
January 14, 2019, 11:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Think you’re being very harsh indeed. Good player, just had an off day as did all of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Kris2
January 14, 2019, 11:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,627
Gold Stars: 136
I think this is exactly a knee jerk reaction for a loss lol. Looking for somebody to blame for it and a reason why we lost. It was simply that alpha male Sol has inspired his team to be more alpha and take the game to the home team. We had no response to his alpha power so gave up. Can't win them all  .
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Jarmo.Is.God
January 14, 2019, 11:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Some town fans are incredible.
Seen it on here, Facebook and Twitter....

A good month didn't turn us into a promotion team, if you thought that, your deluded.

1 loss doesn't turn us back into a relegation team.

Support the team through the good and the bad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
MeanwoodMariner
January 14, 2019, 12:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Pringle has done ok, no more than that. We're a bottom half of league 2 team and he's not a guaranteed starter. He doesn't look out of place when he plays but he doesn't really strike me as someone who we'll be fighting to get back next season unless he significantly improves (which is possible given the injury he had).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
monkeyboy
January 14, 2019, 12:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Well its about opinions, not a knee jerk reaction at all like i said. just dont see a winger in there.

Like i have heard Wes Thomas being criticised in the past for not holding the ball up which i can see but he works his behind off and is a pain for defenders, long ball not the style for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Maringer
January 14, 2019, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,410
Gold Stars: 184
I'd say he's been a little disappointing in the past couple of games I've seen. However, I thought he initially looked pretty good after he had settled into the team so perhaps he's just going through a poor spell.

That's where you need an option on the bench to get people working for their place in the team and I suppose Woolford is his backup to some degree. Just a pity that they are similar types of players so we don't have anything different available.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Northbank Mariner
January 14, 2019, 12:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Have to say he's been very indifferent, showed some class and great balls into the box, corners ect and can see how he ended up in the Championship.
But, if I had to be critical it would be that his injuries have taken their toll, he looks a little slow and doesn't try to take defenders on, maybe a little worry in the back of his mind about being crocked again, he always look to pass the back yet when he has had some nice little one twos and got round a defender his crosses have been excellent...
Let's not forget he turned up here unfit and definitely looked a pound or 3 over weight.
Cannot see PNE renewing his contract at the end of the season and if I'm honest, don't think he fancies dropping down full time to this level which makes me wonder whether he'll get signed by any body..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Tommy
January 14, 2019, 12:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from monkeyboy
Well its about opinions, not a knee jerk reaction at all like i said. just dont see a winger in there.

Like i have heard Wes Thomas being criticised in the past for not holding the ball up which i can see but he works his behind off and is a pain for defenders, long ball not the style for him.

Very depends on what you see as the traits of a "winger". There are different types of player that are useful in wide areas. I know everyone craves the quick and nippy winger that will beat players for fun and stick crosses in, but you don't get many of them in reality (that can put a decent cross in). Then there's the Beckham-type wide player who doesn't have pace or dribble to get to the byline, but they use the ball well, are intelligent and can deliver a decent ball into the box.

There isn't one type of winger, and both can be successful in different teams with different systems and surrounding players. For instance, we saw with Monkhouse a few years back how he was fairly effective in our team when Townsend was the full-back behind him. It helps a winger with no pace if they have an overlapping full-back (even if they're not particularly fast), just because it can be a decoy that opens up a bit of space for the winger to come inside if he doesn't play the ball outside for the overlapping FB. Without a full-back who bombs on, the winger will look for a pass into the strikers feet but if that isn't on, they're probably looking at turning around and passing back 15-20 yards to their full back.

So much like you say about Wes Thomas, "long ball isn't the style for him" so he's forgiven for not holding the ball up, flying down the wing beating full-backs isn't Pringle's game and probably never has been, so we shouldn't expect that of him.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
bedders78
January 15, 2019, 12:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Tommy

It helps a winger with no pace if they have an overlapping full-back (even if they're not particularly fast), just because it can be a decoy that opens up a bit of space for the winger to come inside if he doesn't play the ball outside for the overlapping FB. Without a full-back who bombs on, the winger will look for a pass into the strikers feet but if that isn't on, they're probably looking at turning around and passing back 15-20 yards to their full back.

Pringle is a class act when we are able to give him the conditions to show it. I think there is a chance we might see him playing more often on the right with Hendrie overlapping, with the option then open for him to either play Hendrie in or cut inside himself.  Either way, he can pick a pass only if he has players making themselves available

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Mendonca1995
January 15, 2019, 2:27pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
I’ve not been overly impressed with him to be honest,he does put a good set peice over and crosses in the box but I’ve never seen him take anyone on one on one he lacks pace is very weak in the tackle and in the air maybe he’s suited to having more time on the ball ie in higher leagues etc but for me and it’s only an opinion he’s done ok but nothing more like someone said earlier maybe his injuries have taken there toll on him

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Todmorden Mariner
January 15, 2019, 3:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +72
This time last year.......!
Let's just get behind this young vibrant squad and manager which will have off days. If players like Pringle played well every week he wouldn't be in League 2 UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
psgmariner
January 15, 2019, 3:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
We were on exactly the same number of points this time last year I think (34)!

Certainly more to positivity about but worth bearing in mind.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Garth
January 15, 2019, 5:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Not a patch on our Harry and he's just starting, not as good as Alan C or Nolan Curry looks good by the way as do the two Swedes
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Rob_in_Grimsby
January 15, 2019, 6:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from psgmariner
We were on exactly the same number of points this time last year I think (34)!

Certainly more to positivity about but worth bearing in mind.

how true this is about the same points as last year , it then takes us the next 12 games to get a further 3 points, lets hope we dont repeat that run
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
grimsby pete
January 15, 2019, 7:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

how true this is about the same points as last year , it then takes us the next 12 games to get a further 3 points, lets hope we dont repeat that run

I think the squad Slade had put together and the squad Jolley is still putting together are a world apart,

We will be safe before we all get the collywobbles ,

In Jolley we trust .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
headingly_mariner
January 15, 2019, 8:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Good player. If we had a striker who was an aerial threat they’d score a shitload. Someone like Podge would love his crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
sonofmadeleymariner
January 15, 2019, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
Pringles two biggest weakness are his pace and just how left footed he is, this doesn't help when Jolley Switches him to the right flank and he has to keep cutting in time and time again to no effect. Like Headingly said if we had a good arieal threat going forward his crosses would bag us a load more goals but at the moment we don't. His pace means hes often behind the ball when team counter on us leaving our LB a little exposed during games, but its a risk we take.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pringle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.