Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Striker Up Front At Home.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 208 Guests

One Striker Up Front At Home.

This thread currently has 4,217 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
January 13, 2019, 11:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
There is always the fine balancing act of keeping tight at the back whilst ensuring you have a goal threat.

Yesterday was the first game in a long time where we didn't have our backs to the wall and it told. As MJ alluded to post match, we are a very good counter attacking team. The rest will come with time I am sure.  Any chance of getting back into the game was lost yesterday once the second went in.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3-5-2 tried again before the season is over. Ohman, Davies and RHJ for his pace maybe with Hendrie and Ring wide.

McKeown
RHJ Davis Ohman
Hendrie Embleton Hess Clifton Ring
Vernam Thomas

When you consider how we were plummeting this time last year, progress has been made. We have a tough few weeks ahead but with players coming back from injury and only the league to concentrate on I am sure we will be fine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Stew0_0
January 14, 2019, 11:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
The worrying thing again is that we have appeared to be struggling for goals again 0 in 3 games now and Thomas seems a little out of sorts so 2 up front should give him the help he needs.
Unfortunately Cardwells injured, A.Rose for me is not ready to be thrown in yet and Vernam is more effective from wide so i woukd either go with Cook or look to bring someone in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
wiggers
January 14, 2019, 11:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
With Hooper and Robles gone I’m hopeful Jolley has someone in mind who he can bring in during this window
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
GrimRob
January 14, 2019, 12:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I don't think it's surprising that managers err on the side of caution. In modern football management, the most important thing is not to lose as that's what gets you the sack. A 1-0 win ranks above a 4-4 draw. MJ knows success this season is a top 10 or even a top half finish. If we don't lose very often then he's got a good chance of being judged a success.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 30
diehardmariner
January 14, 2019, 2:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Other than the obvious that we were miles off the pace on Saturday, our problem wasn't the formation but more the constant and usually aimless punts up front.  

Thomas isn't a traditional target man in the sense that he'll win every single header, nor is he the LJL style who will chase every single lost cause down and through sheer persistence get a degree of success.  One of my favourite target men of recent years as Padraig Amond, he dictated where the ball went and made sure he was there before it arrived.  He led the line superbly and made sure he brought others into play, often to get the return ball for a chance on goal.  This side of his game was often overlooked just because of how many goals he scored for us.  Thomas isn't an Amond either.  He's more of a Tony Rees, better with the ball around his chest than at his head.  Backs in a lot, can win free-kicks, dangerous when the defender gets too close to him.  

It was just lazy from Town to hit it long and hope he would get on the end of it.  

In terms of the formation, our best approach is getting Embleton running at teams from a bit of a free-role.  If we go 4-4-2 we don't get that at all.

4-2-3-1 or whatever we're calling it is by far our best formation.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
Maringer
January 14, 2019, 2:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
If we could play 4-4-4-2, we'd probably do quite a bit better.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
monkeyboy
January 14, 2019, 2:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I have to say the worrying thing for me with having 5 in midfield and one up top is how few chances the midfield seem to create, i mean with 5 in mid we should be stronger against a 4 surely?
I think we are missing a solid defensive mid, Welsh probably was brought in for that purpose but seems to be plagued by injury im told.
We do seem to have a lot of attacking players in the mid but seem to create very little at times. just think the base or spine is missing, something like a derrick Niven type but that can pass to someone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
diehardmariner
January 14, 2019, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Maringer
If we could play 4-4-4-2, we'd probably do quite a bit better.  

Whaaaat???
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
TownSNAFU5
January 14, 2019, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
We hardly have enough players available to play 4-4-4-2 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 14, 2019, 3:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I thought when akheem rose came on he was exactly the partner thomas needed up front. He had the energy and pace to go left and right and drag their defenders and give thomas alot more space.

I understand people saying its too soon because you can see he’s quite raw but how do you develop without playing? I guess its more of a gamble than bringing someone in but if theres no one immenent i’d like to see him given the chance to be honest, I think thomas would soon let him know what he needs from him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Striker Up Front At Home.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.