Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Striker Up Front At Home.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 197 Guests

One Striker Up Front At Home.

This thread currently has 4,218 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
January 13, 2019, 7:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Easy to say 2 upfront but who of the central midfield 3 do you drop to accommodate? I think those 3 (Hess, Clifton, embleton) have been amongst  our better players. However not sure a cm partnership of say embleton and Hess would be anything like strong enough due to  being too lightweight. Or any 2 from the 3 really. Hess and Clifton would have the energy but probably not creative enough for me and perhaps a bit lightweight when  only 2 of them. Replace hess with embleton and you increase creativity but maybe a drop in energy and definitely lose a bit of bite and defensiveness and still lightweight. Might not be so bad when we have a proper defence back but as it's their first game back after time off and its away to Lincoln might be a risk.
Unless you go 3 at the back and drop a defender, but people didn't like us with that formation either.
Who were you thinking of dropping Yoda?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
arryarryarry
January 13, 2019, 7:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from toontown
Easy to say 2 upfront but who of the central midfield 3 do you drop to accommodate? I think those 3 (Hess, Clifton, embleton) have been amongst  our better players. However not sure a cm partnership of say embleton and Hess would be anything like strong enough due to  being too lightweight. Or any 2 from the 3 really. Hess and Clifton would have the energy but probably not creative enough for me and perhaps a bit lightweight when  only 2 of them. Replace hess with embleton and you increase creativity but maybe a drop in energy and definitely lose a bit of bite and defensiveness and still lightweight. Might not be so bad when we have a proper defence back but as it's their first game back after time off and its away to Lincoln might be a risk.
Unless you go 3 at the back and drop a defender, but people didn't like us with that formation either.

If you are agreeing with 5 in midfield then considering we were up against the second from bottom team we looked poor and overrun so it didn't work on Saturday and we only really created one worthwhile effort on goal.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Bigdog
January 13, 2019, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from toontown

Got a feeling MJ might trial three at the back before the end of the season with Hendrie on the right and possibly Ring or Fox if he stays on the left which will help the midfield three more defensively and have the option of playing someone off Thomas. Wide areas aren't working for us at the minute probably due to lack of personnel and by pushing the full backs into being wing backs it may do the trick. Make us more solid and add an attacking threat at the same time with an extra man up front..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
HertsGTFC
January 13, 2019, 8:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Bigdog

Got a feeling MJ might trial three at the back before the end of the season with Hendrie on the right and possibly Ring or Fox if he stays on the left which will help the midfield three more defensively and have the option of playing someone off Thomas. Wide areas aren't working for us at the minute probably due to lack of personnel and by pushing the full backs into being wing backs it may do the trick. Make us more solid and add an attacking threat at the same time with an extra man up front..

I’d agree with this as clearly Hendrie is good enough to go forward and on yesterday’s early showing Ring isn’t shy either. MJ has dabbled a bit with this in the past if I recall right.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
moosey_club
January 13, 2019, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
one up front could work if the striker is the right one....Thomas has performed pretty well in that role but has looked a bit not at it of late IMO. Yesterday his off the ball positioning and movement wasnt really there for me..i think apart from one run where he peeled off towards the back post in the first half he doesnt move the opposition enough. Never seems to be on the move before the ball is passed and often stood in the wrong channel when we were defending.

Yesterday was difficult for him as support and service was pretty poor but could help himself with improved movement as i think that would help the service find him.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
wiggers
January 13, 2019, 8:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
I’d like a 4-1-4-1 formation with Thomas on his own up top. What he needs is support and runners from midfield, the way we play at the moment he’s far to isolated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Bigdog
January 13, 2019, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from wiggers
I’d like a 4-1-4-1 formation with Thomas on his own up top. What he needs is support and runners from midfield, the way we play at the moment he’s far to isolated.

We effectively play a 4-1-4-1 now with Clifton and Embleton supporting centrally. The problem is we don't get enough defensive support from wide areas and it isn't offset with effective pacy attacking down the flanks other than when Vernam's on his game. Wide areas need improving or a rethink in formation is needed to make us more effective and pacy going forward. Our ball retention, movement and passing improvement needs to be more consistent and for longer periods in games. We'll have to be patient until players return in the short term and the young side develops and gels in the medium term I guess. After the hindrance of injuries and suspensions, MJ's got the luxury of nearly twenty games to refine the side, formation and tactical options in readiness for next season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
chaos33
January 13, 2019, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Still, reassuring to know that we've got you, who's one step ahead of him mate.  

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2019, 10:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from forza ivano
I just think that Thomas would be more effective if he had a partner and we were playing more to his strengths. He's doing a Stirling job up there on his own, but I bet he ain't really enjoying it and wiould far rather have a strike partner to take the pressure off

Are you saying Wes is doing a great job, as good as Sterling silver, or do you mean he's performing a role similar to that wee fellah that plays for City?  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
sonofmadeleymariner
January 13, 2019, 11:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
I'd play a proper 433, three strikers in Thomas, Vernam and Cardwell (or another striker to hold up the ball), you keep the midfield three and our wingbacks can bomb up and down, Thomas and Vernam can track back if needed to cover oppositions full backs if they move forward with play.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Striker Up Front At Home.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.