Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Striker Up Front At Home.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 401 Guests

One Striker Up Front At Home.

This thread currently has 4,184 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Yoda
January 13, 2019, 4:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,949
Gold Stars: 65
I though this Saturday was a great opportunity for 3 points and a push for the playoffs.
How wrong was I, one up front at home again against next bottom of the league.
Score first you win that match easily, they where not on a great run.
One shot on target in 90 minutes and they could of had 4 goals.
A decent crowd yesterday not much incentive to return anytime soon unfortunately.
We are now looking down and not up with 2 tough games to come,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mrs Doyle
January 13, 2019, 5:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
We do need hight in the side I know people will harp on about this leading to the big hoof but to combat that I would say we still looked to hit Thomas with that sort of ball and he was hopelessly surrounded by big defenders that gave him no chance.

A mix of play needs to be used but just pumping the ball into channels where nobody is or has the pace to matter did not work at all. Most were overhit and either sailed out for a goal kick or fed the keeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
promotion plaice
January 13, 2019, 5:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

Must agree, we had Thomas on his own isolated and the ball just kept coming back at us.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Northbank Mariner
January 13, 2019, 5:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Unfortunately I'll say this, someone needs to tell macca to stop banging the ball up needlessly, so I'm afraid for as good as macca is, and my god I think we'd be lower in the league without his form this season, it's his distribution that lets us down in those sort of games..
He needs to pull the defenders closer to him rather than telling them to push up the field .. we need play from the back through then Hess we look more of a threat...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Tommy
January 13, 2019, 5:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Didn't hear any moans about playing one striker when we were on the run of 5 wins in 7 or whatever it was.

Playing 1 striker doesn't make you defensive just like playing 3 up top doesn't make you a more effective attacking team. Its no good having 2 up top if we can't build controlled possession up the pitch and get the ball to the forward players.

Its just an easy/lazy criticism to make from people (I'm not singling yoda out on this point) that always demand we revert to the 442 of years gone by. The game's moved on.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Mikey_345
January 13, 2019, 5:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,271
Gold Stars: 95
We switched to 2 up front just before their goal.....

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
golfer
January 13, 2019, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Tommy
Didn't hear any moans about playing one striker when we were on the run of 5 wins in 7 or whatever it was.

Playing 1 striker doesn't make you defensive just like playing 3 up top doesn't make you a more effective attacking team. Its no good having 2 up top if we can't build controlled possession up the pitch and get the ball to the forward players.

Its just an easy/lazy criticism to make from people (I'm not singling yoda out on this point) that always demand we revert to the 442 of years gone by. The game's moved on.

Partly agree --if you have 1 striker you don't just welly the ball in the air hoping he can outjump 10 ft defenders. If he somehow does there is nobody to run onto his flicks etc.The way forward is obviously down the wings which enables midfielders to get forward. I noticed yesterday that Pringle spent more time on the right wing and everytime he got the ball he had to cut inside in order to use his left foot. Besides being so predictable and making it easy for the fullback it just stopped us going forward. If you cut inside occasionally you create space on that wing -our fullback should be running into this space to receive the ball and then get a cross in. Don't we learn tactics anymore
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
Mariner93er
January 13, 2019, 6:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
A lot of good teams survive without 2 strikers. We could have 2 up front yesterday but what's the point of midfield and defence aren't stringing passes together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
forza ivano
January 13, 2019, 6:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
I just think that Thomas would be more effective if he had a partner and we were playing more to his strengths. He's doing a Stirling job up there on his own, but I bet he ain't really enjoying it and wiould far rather have a strike partner to take the pressure off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
HertsGTFC
January 13, 2019, 6:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
For me I’d personally like to see two up front home and away. I know the game has changed but think that 2 forwards can pull defenders around bit more and arguably break down the opposition.

Yesterday I get why we played that way but Wes was just two isolated and the mid field sat too deep, was this our lack of savvy or Mac’s set up? Who knows but we created hardly anything and their keeper had a relatively easy day.

We lost yesterday due to a number of factors but I’m not sure 1 up front was the key one.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Striker Up Front At Home.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.